5.0 out of 5 stars An A-Level History student's opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Useful as coursework aid
Published 2 months ago by niall

5.0 out of 5 stars An A-Level History student's opinion, 17 Aug 2003
There are not many books that comment extensively on the subject of 16th Century Europe which 16-18 year olds would be able to understand and be further interested in. However, the inimitable Sir Geoffrey Elton was the light in the distance that helped myself and the other twenty or so students in my class pass our exams with considerable, and in one case remarkably GR Elton-ish, success.
Informative, arousing and -dare I say it?- exciting, this book was our saviour. As I read it as preparation for an essay or as reference, I could almost imagine GR Elton sitting next to me, reding it aloud like a bedtime story. And sometimes I did want to sleep, given the expansive historical detail contained within, but the whole thing reads like a great novel. Which in my now 21 year old opinion, is how history should be told.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and helpful, 17 April 2009
I'm an A level student, and this book has been so helpful in writing my perosnal study about Charles V. Clearly organised, easy to read, interesting and with strong opinions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 28 Sep 2014
Useful as coursework aid

Reformation Europe 1517-1559 (Blackwell Classic Histories of Europe)
Reformation Europe 1517-1559 (Blackwell Classic Histories of Europe) by Andrew Pettegree (Paperback - 15 Oct 1999)