5.0 out of 5 stars on University book list
on University book list so was a necessary read. well writtedn and informative. Very academic style so other reading on the subject necessary to get a jist.
Published 18 months ago by saffron7

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time with this book
Published on 25 April 2008 by Bence Polgardy

5.0 out of 5 stars on University book list, 7 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic Pragmatics, 22 Jan 2011
Nick D. (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pragmatics Second Edition: An Introduction (Paperback)
Until reading this book, for me, Pragmatics was a mere "speech act"; since I did read it however, Pragmatics became a "pragmatic act". Therefore I might as well say in review that Mey's Pragmatics have the potential to change the world.
Evidently, pragmatics is not a subject for everyone - and this particular introduction is admittedly not the briefest way to enter the field. I suggest, if I may, J.Thomas for just that.
I am interested in Advertising and Communication in terms of visual language, copy-writing and, most relevantly, context and co-text (and I can't just give up the struggle for a "place in the sun", despite the general disillusionment around political motives and social change that has taken over the Western world). This book takes the illocutionary act of uttering a study of "user language use" and places it right in the heart of the Sleeping Beauty that is the English-speaking academic culture. From my point of view, this book introduces the reader to the ethical aspects of linguistics, in a way that the whole genre falls into a category of civil necessity, complementing the works by other great minds like Chomsky and Eco.
Yet, one doesn't have to know what "illocutionary" act means prior to reading Mey's Pragmatics. At least not in the second edition. And furthermore, one doesn't have to be acquainted with "frightening" things like "semiotics" and subject specific jargon, to get a clear understanding of the author's intended meaning.
Mey presents a micro and a macro aspect of pragmatics in this book of his. Both are elaborately discussed; it takes sometime to read through the text, until perceiving its pragmatic value. It builds up like the reading of a suspenseful novel and it culminates in the end with all the pieces joined to reveal the grand prospects of the entire work, including its front cover picture.
I recommend this book to anyone having even the slightest interest in getting to grips with the "world of words".

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time with this book, 25 April 2008
Bence Polgardy "Toutatis" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pragmatics Second Edition: An Introduction (Paperback)
The style of this book is very muddled and it is not at all clear what the author is trying to get at. I took this book out from the library because I needed a quick introduction into pragmatics. When I started reading it I realized that this wasn't going to be a quick introduction but I struggled on. After page 20, however, I had to put down the book because I felt that I had gained nothing from it. I couldn't even remember what I was reading. So don't waste your money and time on this, it's not worth it.

Pragmatics Second Edition: An Introduction
Pragmatics Second Edition: An Introduction by Jacob L. Mey (Paperback - 15 Jan 2001)
29.99