4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly readable - I loved it!
Published on 8 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of meat in a flawed translation
Published on 29 Aug 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly readable - I loved it!, 8 April 1999
This review is from: History of Food (Paperback)
I usually avoid French Historians, just because their distinct style is not normally to my liking. This book was an exception, and I'll admit it surprised me. It is dense and anectotal, so I wouldn't recommend it for long reads, but if taken in small doses it's wonderful! She's very, very funny, which says a lot, because French writers usually don't make me chuckle. It took me a month to read it, and it was worth the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of meat in a flawed translation, 29 Aug 1998
This review is from: History of Food (Paperback)
There's so much packed into this book that it's better to use it as a reference rather than a straight-through read. The author (or the translator) is not as familiar with American food history; case in point: significant credit is given to "Betty Crock[sic]" for advancing the cause of cooking. It is unclear if the author knows Betty Crocker is fictional...... Worth having in your library.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very French interpretation of the History of Food, 4 Feb 1999
This review is from: History of Food (Paperback)
I use the book in its original French version and have not read the translated English text. The writing is quite complex and heavy and at times chauvinistically French. The work however is very comprehensive and overflows with details and anecdotes. Sometimes, one is left to wonder how realistic and founded some of the statements are. Regardless, it is a fun reference work which is plenty worth buying.

History of Food
History of Food by Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat (Paperback - 9 July 1994)
Used & New from: £4.40