on 28 February 2013
I found this book a lifesaver in my early days as a stepmother. It explained a lot of the difficult feelings and put things in perspective for me. I'd recommend it to anyone in this position. Very insightful and realistic. It helped me define my role much better than a lot of other books on the subject that err too much on the side of idealism...
on 8 August 2013
Thoroughly well written. Explains the feelings and thoughts we all have had. Deals with stepmonster issue beautifully. I found my husband's ex-wife in here too, almost waving from the pages.
on 13 June 2014
In my view, the only excellent book in print on the subject of step mothering. I have been a step mother for 12 years, and wished I had been able to read this book much sooner. I would recommend it to anyone in a step relationship.
on 12 October 2013
Anyone in a relationship with a man with children needs to read this book. I saw myself, my partner and my stepchildren in this book. I wish I had read it sooner. I have now given it to my partner to read.
on 17 July 2014
A book that eloquently describes the angst that stepmothers often have to struggle with. As a stepmother to 4 teenagers, it reflected very accurately my own experiences and difficulties with the often less than motherly thoughts I have had toward hostile teens. Partners would be well advised to also read this book!
on 28 December 2014
Just what I needed. Says it like it is for so many of us.Wish it had been available when I became a stepmother 8 years ago it would have saved me lots of tears and frustration!
on 18 June 2015
Made some good points, & was refreshingly honest. I liked the fact that is from the step mothers perspective but also includes the dad's & children's points of view. Overall a well rounded book, the only downside for me was the animal behaviour comparisons/ studies. I felt they had too much focus within the book. It provided a good discussion point at home & I hope that my husband will read the book too.
on 25 March 2015
bought this to better understand step family dynamics. myself and my other half have read it and found some very useful insights from it
on 24 January 2015
Fantastic. The most sensible and realistic book I have read about being a stepmother. Highly recommend.
on 1 July 2015
This is the best book on step-parenting that I have ever read and I've read a few! Particularly helpful as it's written from the step-mother's perspective, (I'm a Mum and step-daughter too). Also incredibly helpful for husbands to read, to help them get a perspective on the challenges and smooth out the, often very tough, path, (as well as counsellors, who have no step-mothering experience, who are trying to support couples/families/women). It tackles the widely experienced issues around feeling like a stranger in one's own home, trying not to be "wicked", so much that one's own authenticity and sense of self is eroded, leading to frustration and eventually relationship breakdown. Grounded in academic research and extremely well written - I can't recommend it highly enough.