1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs the gamut from funny to wise, 22 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I LOVE this book. Tree Traffic cracked me up and has been making me and my kids giggle ever since we read it. I like this book even more than THE GREAT FROG RACE--and that's saying something! Pick a favorite poem from this new tree collection? No. Beaver Dam, Maple Shoot in the Pumpkin Patch (I know JUST how that helicopter pilot feels!), Tree Horse(all the kids think spending time in a tree is an adventure), At Night (deliciously shivery), Tree's Place, Knotholes (...not for naught...I went off on a whole list of knot/not/naught--hole/whole/'ol puns), Poaching (brought to mind not only ripe plums, but also brittle leaf litter and sticky sap-traps!), Lullaby (I teared up--emotions from mothering memories flooded me), Blue Spruce (our front yard!!), Autumn (SO appropriate after the forest fires in the hills last summer--echoed in the city foliage in the fall), Storm (bittersweet after watching the neighbors have their beautiful, tall, authoritative tree butchered last week because they were afraid it would snap and fall on the house), Avalanche (brought back pictures of Mt. St. Helen's after its volcanic tantrum), and of course, Old Elm Speaks. I see I listed nearly the whole book when I just meant to pick out a few for special attention. So much for restraint!!
Our family rates this book a "Best Buy."

Old ELM Speaks: Tree Poems
Old ELM Speaks: Tree Poems by Kristine George (Paperback - 13 Nov 2007)
3.51