5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Waiting For, 8 Feb 2009
D. Glover (Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
I love to bake and I drooled about having this book for a long time before I actually bought it. There are many bakers writing blogs about baking from this book so I thought I knew exactly what to expect. I was put off by the price of the book, however, and waited until I could order it used from the States (I live in the UK). It was well worth the wait and well worth buying. I certainly was not disappointed. Not only is it a beautiful book to look through (it's almost a coffee table book), the recipes are for luscious-sounding, beautiful-looking things that use every day products so you don't have to hunt around specialty shops.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 16 Jan 2010
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
I had tried many of Dorie's recipes found online, and loved every one of them. My husband loved them. Even my 5yo daughter's favorite cookies and cupcakes are Dorie's recipes. So I finally just bought the book. The only thing I miss is a picture with every recipe. And no statement on how amazingly, addictively, good is the "All-in-one" cake.

The thing that makes this book a must have is not just that it's massive, with every type of cake/cookie/pie out there, but that each recipe includes variations, sometimes unexpected, tripling the number of recipes. I made parmesan sables (a variation on the basic sable) last week and they were scrumptious. So one can find the appropriate recipe for any occasion. And every single thing I made has been delicious. How many cookbooks can you say that about?

I find Dorie's descriptions of different stages incredibly helpful ("don't worry if the batter looks curdled at this point", "mix it until it looks satiny", ...). As well as her general intros (e.g., difference in the texture of pie crust made with butter vs. shortening), or techniques on how to make light doughs (what butter mixed into the flour should look like). And the fact that she tells you what can be frozen and how, that's such a great tip.

One thing I am not crazy about, but not worth taking away even 1/2 the star: the index. Could be more readable (there are so many subheadings that they go on the following pages and then it's hard to know what they are under), and some things have not been listed under their actual names (e.g., my beloved "All-in-one-cake" is not listed as its own heading, but as a subheading under "apple", which happens to be one of the ingredients).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Baking Book, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
This was my first Dorie book, and what a stunner it is! She is a first class baker, and this comes through clearly on the pages of this big book, there are many beautiful photographs and even more great recipes. I've made about 50 things from this book so far - cakes, cookies, bars, puddings even an ice cream or two, all fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best baking cookbook I have ever had, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
This book was recommended to me by a friend who knows I love reading/collecting recipes and so far, all of the ones I've made in this book are keepers. The great thing about the book is that the recipes are so well written that they have proven to be fail proof. For example, I have little experience cooking caramels and marshmallow and I usually try and avoid candy thermometers but I've made the cake on the cover of the book (the white is marshmallow) and it was perfect. Family and friends were hugely impressed and begging for me to make it again and again. Normally, I would repeat it to bask in the compliments but I've been too busy making other recipes from this book that have gone down equally positively.

With autumn practically here, there are fantastic apple recipes in this book and of course, this is the PERFECT recipe book for the holidays. I am confident anyone who has even a remote interest in baking occasionally will love this book.

If you have any doubt about purchasing it, google it now and that should change your mind as it seems clear that this is already a classic, must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best!!, 11 May 2011
Lisa Kavanagh (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
This baking book is one of the best I have ever used. The recipes are easy to follow and produced great results. I recommend this to anyone who loves baking as much as I do..

5.0 out of 5 stars At last recipes which give the expected result!, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
I bought the book mostly for the NY cheescake recipe, and the result was just perfect. My guests had the impression to be at a famous pizza place in Time Square! I also tried several other recipes, and the results were always as I remembered from my stays in the USA. this book is a "must have" for anyone eager to travel back to the states.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 12 Aug 2010
A. S. Foletto (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking: From My Home to Yours (Hardcover)
Dorie is fantastic!!! The book has a lot of interesting recipes that's worth a try. I've done so far the Madeleines recipe and it turn out the best madeleines I've made, so delicious that I've already done twice.

ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

Baking: From My Home to Yours
Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan (Hardcover - Nov 2006)
24.06