Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 14 November 2013
I greatly enjoyed my second story by Abigail Reynolds - although only a novella it was a very sweet little book with a great story! Hearing the account of Darcy's parent's courtship gave great background and a new dimension to Darcy's character and a real insight into his childhood which was fascinating.

I thought it was very clever how as Darcy begins to tell the tale to Elizabeth, instead of just hearing his account, it jumps back to the time and we see the story unfold as it is happening. It was a very endearing story between his parents and I felt myself being drawn into just as much as Elizabeth was! When we return to the present and see the effect and true implication of this romance between his parents in relation to the current Mr Darcy and Elizabeth and the scenes which follow are very romantic... But I do not wish to give anything away.

This was a really sweet little story and very unique and unlike any other variation I have read before. The use of his parent's courtship in aiding the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth was a novel idea, and I enjoyed the detailed insight this story gave into Darcy's continued and ardent love and admiration of Elizabeth. It was an enjoyable escape into the world of Darcy and Elizabeth for an hour or two.
on 11 December 2013
What are men to rocks and mountains? If you are fortunate enough to read Abigail Reynolds' latest story - a novella - you will get plenty of both, for not only is it set in Derbyshire's beautiful Peak District, but it has a double dose of Darcy men!

The Darcys of Derbyshire begins when Elizabeth Bennet is touring the county with her aunt and uncle. By chance, they meet with Mr Darcy whilst out on a picnic near a prominent rock outcrop that Elizabeth is fascinated by. To her delight, she is permitted to scale the rocks with Mr Darcy as her guide and protector, and before long, he is sharing with her the significance of the location.

The story then becomes that of his parents' courtship - a beautifully drawn section that introduces us to James Darcy and Lady Anne Fitzwilliam. It is a lovely tale, enchanting and intriguing, and it leaves you wanting to spend more time with these delightful characters.

Once the tale is told, however, the story returns to the present and, with a Darcy and Elizabeth who have both come a long way since the disaster of Darcy's first proposal in Kent, you can be assured that a happy ending beckons.

What are men to rocks and mountains? Well, that depends on the man (and the mountain) but one thing is for certain: The Darcys of Derbyshire begs for a sequel, and I will be adding my voice to those already clamouring for it!
on 15 November 2013
This short 'what if' variation on Pride and Prejudice picks up with Elizabeth touring in Derbyshire with the Gardiners, before they visit Pemberley. They are having a picnic at a beauty spot and Elizabeth longs to climb up to the top of the nearby rocks, but the Gardiners won't allow it. She sees a man descending from the climb who looks familiar, and lo and behold it's Mr Darcy. He offers to escort her safely up to the top. She is embarrassed of course, but 'What are men to rocks and mountains?'. She accepts his offer and while on the mountains, Mr Darcy tells her the story of his parent's romance, and why this spot was of importance to them, and hence important to him. As we know, Elizabeth is open to changing her mind about Mr Darcy so perhaps this will let her see another side of Mr Darcy?

The story of the Darcys and how they came to fall in love and marry made up a large section of the novella and it was really charming. I bought this book to cheer myself up and it certainly worked, I found myself smiling nearly all the way through it.

The only word of warning that I'd give is also in the product description, and that is the novella isn't particularly long, plus there's an excerpt of another book at the end. It only took me about 50 mins to read, but I am a fast reader. Since I was aware it was short I wasn't disappointed. Although I'd always like a bit more, because I'm greedy, the story doesn't feel over short. I really enjoyed this novella and I'd certainly recommend it.
on 7 December 2013
This book is a novella, it took about an hour to read. It tells the tale of a chance meeting between Darcy and Elizabeth in Derbyshire. The opportunity for a walk together provides Darcy the opportunity to speak Elizabeth privately, sharing the story of his parents relationship which in many ways mirrored their own.

I really enjoyed this book, I have read a number of books by this author and found all of them delightful!
on 2 July 2014
Although it is really short, I loved the romantic content and the happy out come, well worth the read.
on 24 October 2015
It was only a ok story, and what spoilt it for me was the spelling mistakes. envigorated instead of invigorated, hesistated instead of hesitated and Tor is a noun and should be capitalized. Was this proofread? I like Abigail Reynolds but this is not one of her best.
on 1 January 2014
The book was enjoyable to read due to the fact that it was straight to the point. However it was cut short at the end, for instance you could of of talked about they when they went to get the father blessing.
on 29 May 2014
Very enjoyable read and I was sorry when it was finished, I wanted more!
Good value for money and a different aspect overall
on 16 May 2014
I liked the idea of Darcy telling Lizzie of his parent's love story and the consequences on their own story.
on 28 July 2014