Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 March 2013
Epic, and I loved it!!! Apart from the last 2 pages which I hated!

Firstly, it should be noted that I'm not usually a massive fan of first person narrative. Second point worthy of notice is that I was halfway through this book before I even realised that it's written in first person narrative.

It's just that good!

At first it's a traditional zombie story...Nobody suspects anything in the beginning - then weird stuff is reported on the News - people start sitting up and taking notice - the S.H.T.F and everyone tries to survive and avoid being chomped on. We zombie fan's know the drill. At this stage the zombies are also traditional. Slow, lumbering, not very bright, driven by instinct - that sort of thing. We've all seen it before countless times but there are enough little differences to keep it interesting up to this point.

Then the pace changes and I wasn't very sure where it was going. It slowed right down, and had a definite 'Shaun of the Dead' feel to it and although I liked that section quite a bit as it progressed I had doubts. I still had a good two thirds of the book to go and I was getting a bit worried that it would all just drag on and on and fizzle to a close.

Wrong!

Under different circumstances the twist that kicked off the third and final section could be viewed as a 'comedic episode', complete with Benny Hill chase music. The reality of it all was anything but funny though. Ramped-up crazies the likes of which would make the 28 Days Later zombies wet their pants. Made of awesome!

I loved it. Loved. It.

Apart from one little thing...The last two pages. They just slapped all the love out of me. Well, maybe two pages worth of love was slapped out of me, if I'm honest. But they did bug me.

I'll be thinking of this one for quite a while. It's my favourite book of 2013 so far. The paperback I bought has quite a few typo's and error's that the proof reader(s) missed and that gets on my nerves but I can't fault the content. It's a winner!! :D

I'd definitely recommend this to any and all zombie fans! Go get it now, run like the wind. Read it!

...and there better be a sequel to this!
on 13 May 2013
Craig Jones has written a gem with O:tza.

Part one is very much your traditional batten down the hatches survival thriller, but what it does most importantly is lay a foundation for the characters to develop from.

Part two takes our experiences from part one and adds a maturity to the setting, placing cause and effect centre stage and elevating the traditional first part beyond just another zombie story.

Part three adds the adrenaline and the characters are unshackled from their emotional and physical restraint. Not to say the previous cause and effect is forgotten just that there is now more freedom for the narrative and its characters.

The conclusion leads to a sequel, which I personally found it humorous rather than moving, and is the only negative I can point to as a more rounded and concluding ending would have done the story justice.

O:tza is a great read far from the gorefest that usually applies in this genre and the story justifiably deserves a sequel.
on 16 April 2012
You know a book is hitting the right spots when you find yourself shouting 'No, you bloody fool, stay put'...and this is precisely what I did throughout the book. The story also neatly combines the traditional slow walker tale with the emergence of the intelligent Zombie. I really hope there will be a follow up to this book, in fact there has to be!
on 4 January 2013
I got this book on the back of the 16 positive reviews and the fact it was £1.95. It was a refreshing change for a start, its English, set in England and doesn't give up all the character details in the first five minutes. It is set into three parts. This interested me as it had the potential to deal with aspects of the gentre which are normally missed.
However this potential is never achieved, the characters are not deep enough to really explore anything.
The last third of the book is a complete mess,poorly written, the characters make stupid choices which really annoyed me and it degrades into a piece of high school fiction with a vague attempt of a cliffhanger leaves the whole thing feeling unfinished. I wouldn't recommend this book and if you want a decent zombie book, try Max Brooks.
on 18 January 2014
Just finished reading outbreak and it was amazing! Easily the best book I have read in the zombie genre and it had me hooked from the first page. I started it about 9pm at night and read untill 4.30am and if a sequel had been available I would have started to read it immediately!which brings me to the reason I am writing my first ever review on a book. Please tell me there will be a sequel and if yes, when will it be available? Elaine haddow
on 17 January 2013
Set in usk in south Wales this book is fantastic, just as you think you know what is going to happen....boom the author flips it on its head.

More "I am legend" (book not film) than anything else I have read.

Defiantly a fresh look at the whole zombie survivalist books and this reader really hopes there is a second volume to come. Well done Craig Jones

CHARLES COIA CHARLIE86@HOTMAIL.COM
on 10 November 2012
Thought this was poor. The "twist" is quite predictable. The main charcters continue to do incredibly stupid things and by the time I was halfway throught the book I wasn't emotionally invested in any of them. The book feels like it was written by a novice and even though it's zombie fiction it stretches credibility too far, not even remaining consitent within its own story. Multiple spelling mistakes throughtout the latter part of the book got irritating. To summarise it feels like you are reading a short story submited by a student and I will not read anything else by this author.
on 3 January 2013
Outbreak by Craig Jones is a thoughtful tale of survival, brotherly love and zombie butt kicking.

The main character Matt Hawkins is likeable, courageous and above all human. That's what makes Outbreak more than a kill by numbers zombie tale. You're rooting for the main character and his chatty narration immediately drags you into the story.

There's a great opening line that astutely sets the scene - "The public didn't take what was going on seriously until the Government cancelled football matches and EastEnders."
Now you know it's serious.

When the book starts, Matt is holed up in a farmhouse with his zombie expert brother Danny and friend Nick and his family. Together, they do what they can to survive when the zombies arrive and they also try to help others, whilst other people are just helping themselves.

The book is fast paced and never lags. There's also a few twists and turns that you won't see coming (I won't ruin it for you by revealing what they are) and there's lots of gore. Unusually for this genre, Outbreak is upbeat even when bad things happen. This is a zombie tale with hope.
on 28 December 2012
So if you're looking for a charming, romantic novel full of life and wonder. Move on. This is far from the book you're looking for.

Outbreak by Craig Jones is easily one of the best zombie apocalypse books I have ever read. The fast paced, humorous and gorey aspects of this book come together really well to create a novel I was unable to put down.

The main character Matt provides enough of a personal touch to keep you entertained as well as hooked, the first person narrative really puts you in his place and at times allows for you to feel as though it is you facing what he goes through.

The only downside I, personally, felt was how the novel ended. It is too light hearted for my tastes after the tempo of the rest of the book.

Overall though you will not be disappointed! A must read!
on 20 March 2013
When I first started to read this book I must admit that I was a bit disappointed, as it starts off pretty slow and predictable.The final stages definitely make up for the slow start and it turns out to be a gripping ending to the tale and leaves you wanting more.