Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2013
As an enormous fan of detective/crime fiction, this was a bit of an unusual buy for me, but certainly not one that I regret.

In this very well written account of an infamous 2011 murder that shocked and horrified the world, Peter Ross takes the reader through the events from start to finish. I particularly liked his style of writing - matter of fact and not too melodramatic.

The subject matter is unpleasant in that it relates to the brutal murder of a young woman, but I felt that the author handled that in a sympathetic manner.

Would recommend to anyone interested in real life murder cases.
on 28 September 2013
When I downloaded this book to my kindle, I had read the reviews and was aware of the content. However by the time I came to read it a little while later, some of the detail had been forgotten, so I began to read, thinking it was fiction. As such, I was enjoying getting into it. I thought it was well paced and very credible. I began to realise, as the story developed, that it must be true. I then started from the beginning again, reading with greater awareness of its reality.

The narrative was well paced and while there was some occasional repetition (which other reviewers have mentioned), it was necessary as evidence was uncovered and the investigation progressed, which meant the new detail gave a different perspective. It gave the impression therefore, that the story as it was already "known" would need to change because of new evidence, so it wasn't at all irritating and actually added to the dramatic description.

I don't normally go for "singles" but this was a very good book. The author describes accurately (but not gruesomely) the murder of a high achieving and successful young lady and the subsequent investigation and trial, all to great effect. Recommended reading.
on 27 July 2013
Book recounting true, actual murders can often be a little dry and stilted as the author has to inevitably stick to the facts and not 'jazz up' the story. However, I bought the book based on Readers Comments and MIYS turned out to be a fascinating read. Packed with great background stories, lots of detail (but I'm a detail freak) and written in a manner that made the process of law easy to follow.

Some very professional work carried out by the Police, again lots of detail and the instinct of seasoned detectives makes for a book that you just have to read in a day as you need to know what happens.

Just remember this book recounts the violent death of a loved and vivacious woman, so you won't 'enjoy' it but you will empathise with victim and family as well as be impressed by the professionalism of the police and the pace & style of the writing.

Five Stars, all day.
on 16 July 2013
A journalistic account of a horrendous murder case. However the style is very repetitive and goes over the facts too many times. I was bored and looked up the case online to find out the sentencing.
on 9 September 2013
I was unaware of this case when I picked up this book but was interested as I had visited nearby this summer. That this could happen in idyllic small town America is shocking and frightening. It only takes one crazy person... The victim seemed a genuine good, honest and hardworking girl and when I saw her YouTube video it really hits home how her young life was so tragically cut short. The book is an account of the police investigation and interviews with family and friends. Very interesting and well worth a read.
on 20 July 2015
I read this short story in a morning I just couldn't put it down. The author tells us about the crime first then the investigation, finishing with the trial and sentencing. The way it is written really grips you and you just want to know what happened and why. A truly great read.
on 6 September 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. The author had done his research well. The story was based on fact which made for interesting reading. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in crime stories.
on 16 August 2013
This is a good book to dip in and out of when you have got a spare 5 minutes to read your kindle.
It is written in a slightly strange way, probably because the author is really a reporter.
on 9 September 2013
This story for new to me, it was a shocker of a story, unbelievable that someone so young could commit such a dastardly crime, for such petty reasons.
on 26 July 2013
This is a good murder mystery with a twist to it.A good read to while away a rainy afternoon, not edge of your seat stuff but quite good all the same