Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2013
Yet another exquisite Pride and Prejudice variation by Abigail Reynolds, that starts with the novel premise that Elizabeth and Darcy's worlds are more interconnected than he had ever imagined - in fact, too interconnected for his comfort, to begin with!

Soon after Hunsford, Darcy travels to visit his exalted connections further up north - at the request of a good friend who needs his help and advice - only to find, to his shock, that the imposing household has a very unexpected guest: a certain Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

From then on, the plot thickens, and the author skilfully stirs in a villain, a missing brother who's departure from the family fold is shrouded in secrecy and whispers of dishonourable behaviour, an overbearing step-mother, tantalising hints of Shakespeare and of course, plenty of delicious interludes between Elizabeth and Darcy, on the backdrop of absolutely stunning scenery.

The poignancy of the scenes between them is too romantic for words, and I particularly enjoyed the very sweet moments of Darcy's heart-warming vulnerability in Elizabeth's healing hands. There are highs, dark lows and plenty of drama in this lovely story and we feel them all, travelling with our favourite characters through their happy times and their times of quandary and anguish towards an ending we're expecting (and a few secondary ones we don't).

A thrilling read, not to be missed!
on 1 August 2013
OK I can actually picture the nobles betting on who could deflower a lesser member of their society but the plot smacked a little to much of the film Dangerous Liaisons' to start with. I always enjoy any book about Darcy and Elizabeth and would say give it a go. but there are better out there.
on 9 September 2013
I confess my expectations were not very high for this book. I've read dozen of P&P variations, and the last ones were always a disappointment.
When I started reading Mr. Darcy's Noble connections I could not believe it! I was finally reading something that was good!
I was afraid the story would disappoint me as I continue reading, but it never did! In fact, everything about the book was great!
This variation takes us to a completely different scenario from P&P. Darcy and Elizabeth get reunited after the Hunsford proposal at Bentham Park, a house belonging to a mutual acquaintance.
The scenario and the characters are all very different from the ones in P&P, and I need to say this was quite refreshing. I enjoyed the new characters, and loved the interactions Abigail Reynolds created. Darcy and Elizabeth remain faithful to their own personalities, and the interactions between them are absolutely wonderful. The love story in this book is amazing, it shows a connection and understanding between them that is very touching and romantic. Above everything the love story is touching and interesting without ever loosing propriety.
There is one other love story in the book that keeps us interested in it, and that was also another positive point in the book.
I totally recommend this to any P&P fan.
on 3 November 2015
Not as good as expected from Abigail Reynolds. Idiotically put together through like a Mills & Booms. The sort of book I would read in A Surgery waiting room. It confirms my theory by which a good writer can only produce ONE very good book: the others are just repetitions. If Ms Reynold is trying to prove the all the Darcys & Fitzwilliam are as bad as the Bennets, she ought to have jotted down, less nonsensical, "surprisingly shocking actions such as Lady Anne waiting for her mother to die to run off & make a proper life for herself. I hope that my teenage daughter will never dream of putting such rubbish in her col​lection.
on 7 June 2013
If there's one thing that's certain in life, it's that you will enjoy a book written by Abigail Reynolds, and Mr Darcy's Noble Connections is no exception.

Set in Yorkshire, such is the skill with which Ms Reynolds wields her pen that the landscape and settings leave a powerful impression, so much so that they almost become another `character'!

The story begins with Elizabeth arriving at the majestic Bentham Park at the request of an old friend, Lady Eleanor Carlisle, who is being forced to marry against her inclination and, what is more, has lost her heart to the owner of a neighbouring estate, who, though raised and educated as a gentleman, would not be considered worthy of Eleanor by her family due to his wealth emanating from his father's background in trade.

Darcy, meanwhile, who has connections to Lady Eleanor's family, has come to stay with his friend from university - the very same gentleman with whom Eleanor is in love. It is hoped that Darcy will be able to help his friend with an entrée into Bentham Park.

Soon, a whole cast of characters - skilfully drawn by Ms Reynolds - has arrived at Bentham, bent on pleasure and socialising at this elegant house party gathering.

What's not to like? With plenty of sparring, some swoon-worthy waltzing, an exiled heir to the Estate, a second son bent on ruining Elizabeth's reputation and an embittered but jealous Mr Darcy, the scene is set for yet another fantastic story about two of literature's favourite characters.

Well-written with fully rounded, believable new characters, blending seamlessly with those we know so well, this is an excellent read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Pride & Prejudice inspired stories.
on 7 June 2013

on 17 June 2013
It turns into a full-on farce towards the end, and I tend to be critical of typos, Americanisms and any behaviour that is not true to the period, HOWEVER, I found myself ignoring all of those things and just enjoying this book.

Elizabeth's apparent witchcraft is funny, but then we already knew that her touch would cure Darcy of any ailment.

Lovely new characters, mingled in with the ones we know and love. I'd recommend this book, despite my better judgement.
on 29 August 2013
An interesting sideline on Pride and Prejudice, with a credible plot and sensible character development. Worth reading, in my view.
on 3 July 2013
If you like a story that not only captivates you but transports your mind to such an extent that you feel the emotions of the chaacters this book is for you.

The descriptions of characters, sights and sounds are amazing. The plot twists and turns in true reynolds fashion and is a real page turner. just when you think you know where the plot is headed it moves in an unexpected direction. highly recommended.
on 2 January 2015
Once again Ms Reynolds has weaved a different tale around our two favourite characters. This one contains a whole new set of people with only a reference to her family and Mr Bingley. Col Fitzwilliam makes an appearance in the last few pages. All in all though there is still fun to be had along the way along with the misunderstandings, angst and - of course - passion and romance.