5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for Hashimoto Patients and Medical Professionals
Published 18 months ago by Brittney

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview but with (too) many shortcomings
Published 16 months ago by SK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for Hashimoto Patients and Medical Professionals, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause (Paperback)
There is only one regret that I have concerning this book: I would have wanted it when I was diagnosed five years ago! Izabella Wentz has written a much needed comprehensive account of her own Hashimoto story and how she was able as a pharmacist to piece a lot of information together which is essential for the understanding of this autoimmune condition. By combining personal experience and clearly explained Science, she has achieved what many a book on Hashimoto's Thyroiditis hasn't been able to do for me: 'clear the fog' and provide a thorough reference that helps me to understand my own experience of symptoms as well give me a clear basis of knowledge for discussions with healthcare providers, who are unfortunately all too often in the dark about the disease. In addition to this, the book provides very practical advice on testing, diet, supplementation etc. the first positive effects of which are already visible in myself. I cannot recommend this book highly enough; firstly to anyone suffering from Hashimoto Thyroiditis, their family/friends; but in particular also to the medical professionals who will gain both knowledge of the disease AND how it affects their patients. Thank you, Izabella Wentz!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing book - at last an explanation of whats going on!, 26 Mar. 2014
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 7 years ago. I was told by various doctors that I did not need to take medication as my TSH levels were not high enough, that Hashimoto's had NO symptoms & that I was clearly depressed & didn't eat well enough...Yet,I felt the happiest I've ever felt in years, clearly not depressed. I started to feel like I was going crazy. The doctors had no knowledge or insight about Hashimoto's & finally I was given Medication, which felt like a relief, but after 2 months my energy again crashed.

This book has been amazing, its like a friendly hug of sorts, in that Izabella Wentz seems to understand & has experienced similar issues to me, her incredible research & her own personal self as Guinea pig, her insights & guidance & suggestions have all been, quite simply a life saver! The book has all the necessary knowledge in healing Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Autoimmune conditions. And answers all the questions that you with Hashimoto's may have been asking but finding no answers.

Thank you Izabella Wentz for being so open & honest & informative. I would like to believe that I am now on my way to a healthy recovery after reading this book & seeking guidance from her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview but with (too) many shortcomings, 10 Oct. 2013
I'm a medical herbalist and wholeheartedly agree with the author's approach that having an autoimmune disease should not simply be a matter of taking a pill without worrying about what's going wrong with your body. As such I was excited to see this book. The content touches on a very wide selection of relevant topics that the average Hashimioto's patient will not have heard about (at least not from mainstream doctors), including immune system imbalance, the problems with gluten and other food allergens, gut dysbiosis / leaky gut, chronic infection, insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue, omega3/6 fatty acid imbalance, iodine toxicity, oral contraceptives etc. It will be an excellent starting point for you in understanding why you got Hashimoto's and how you might put it right.
Unfortunately, the devil is in the detail. I found so many annoying inaccuracies and half-truths, that I soon started to doubt how reliable the rest of the information was, especially as most of it is not scientifically referenced and many of the references are simply internet websites. For example, as a herbalist I was particularly intrigued by the author's assertion that Echinacea and Astragalus strengthen the Th-1 arm of the immune system (which would make them potentially contraindicated). Unfortunately no reference is given (and I couldn't find any papers confirming this), so can you trust the information or is it just someone's opinion?
This book will give you many important dots, but often fails to connect them in a meaningful way, in fact it sometimes seems to contradict itself leaving you utterly confused. For example take the following paragraph:
"Some researchers believe that HPA axis dysfunction and prolonged cortisol elevation may be the cause, rather than the consequence of autoimmune disease. Cortisol is a natural steroid and suppresses cellular immunity (Th-1), preventing tissue damage from excessive inflammation." - Makes sense?
Or this one: "In 2008, it was reported that out of a cohort of twenty-four Hashimoto's patients who were undergoing the Marshall Protocol, seven out of the nine patients improved in their first year of treatment, while two showed intermediate improvement. Three of five patients improved during the second year, and six out of the ten beyond their second year improved." - Is it just my brain fog?
Overall an important book that brings together an excellent selection of topics, but it feels like it has been written in a hurry and poorly researched and referenced.
As far as putting the advice into practice goes, if you follow the author's recommendations you will likely end up with a cupboard full of supplements to add to your medication, spending a fortune in the process, as the author does not believe you can get most of these nutrients from food. This may not be the sort of 'natural' approach you were hoping for. Also keep in mind that the author's own recovery does not mean her approach is valid or superior to others. As stated in the book 20% of Hashimoto's patients recover spontaneously without any interventions whatsoever, so one person's success odes not prove anything, but it is often presented that way in the book.
Many of the resources (e.g. for lab tests) and product endorsements are US based, and hence not that relevant for readers in other countries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope where I thought there was none., 15 Nov. 2013
DoYouHaveItInGreen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this book when I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I felt utterly overwhelmed by the diagnosis of autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimotos) and desperate to find a way to get better. This book is the product of the authors experience, both as a sufferer herself but, perhaps just as importantly, as a pharmacist whose combined medical knowledge and more holistic understanding of how the things we put into our body affects what we get out.

This book lays out exactly how you get to the underlying cause of your disease process and clearly sets out a pathway to health using the authors "DIG AT IT" approach:
D = Depletions, Digestion
I = Iodine, Inflammation, Infection, Immune Imbalance
G = Gut healing, Gluten

A = Adrenals, Alkaline Phosphatase
T = Triggers

I= Intolerances
T= Toxins

This book is for you if:
1)You are willing to take responsibility for your health into your own hands.
2)You are doggedly determined to find out what is causing your autoimmunity and tackle the underlying issue with the aim of getting it into remission.
3)You are willing to make whatever diet and lifestyle changes you need to in order to get yourself well. I'm talking big stuff here. Like giving up sugar, alcohol, grains, gluten, in your search for your triggers. To give an example: I have been a strict vegetarian for 25 years. To solve MY specific depletion issues, I have had to start eating meat.
4)You can find money in your budget to spend on supplements, vitamins and minerals, some of which are quite expensive.
5)You have a GP who is willing to be OPEN MINDED to views on this disease which do not follow UK NHS dogma and will work WITH and FOR you in obtaining the tests required to assess what action to take (this was the hardest part for me personally and I have ended up having to pay for much of the testing privately.)

This book is not for you if:
1)You are looking to suppress your symptoms by popping a prescribed pill without really wanting to understand the underlying disease process or make any big changes to your lifestyle.
2)You are easily put off by the complexity of human biology. This book is in depth and in truth, you will probably end up with more knowledge on the subject than your GP has by the last page. It goes way beyond medical school teaching or conventional NHS policy on treatment. You will need to be invested in reading this book and looking up things you dont understand along the way. It is worth it and whenever I checked out anything I was unsure of, what Izabella Wentz had concluded was always spot on. It is an amazingly well researched book.

Along the authors own journey she has either considered or tried almost every diet, protocol, supplement and drug available for this condition and her own research on the rationale behind them brings together what I can only say appears to be the best knowledge out there.

I nearly gave this book 4 stars because the one major downside of this book is that it is written for an American audience where the healthcare system is different and you can walk into your doctors office and demand a battery of tests, pretty much on a whim and as long as your insurance will cover it, the doctor will order it. Not so in the UK and many of the tests mentioned were things my GP was not willing to entertain or had never heard of. Fortunately, I found a fabulous functional nutritionist who was able to order many of the tests instead of my GP. Not cheap, but worth it to get the answers I needed. I also found it massively frustrating that the 'Decoy' supplement Thyrophin PMG (suggested in the book) is only available in the USA and I couldnt get any of the US sites selling it online to ship it to a UK address. I got round this by having it sent to a family member in the US who then posted it on to me, but, it is annoying to find things which really could be helping a lot of people with this condition are so hard to get hold of over here.

Anyhow, if you are newly diagnosed and looking for help, start here, with this book. If I can also just say, if you are newly diganosed and you are feeling utterly floored by it all, scared, anxious and very unsure what the future holds for you health, please take courage from the author of this book. There is HOPE and you CAN and WILL feel better than you do today.

I would also recommend Dr Datis Kharazzian's book 'Why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab results are normal?' and 'The immune system recovery plan' by Susan Blum. Lots of people suggested I get 'Stop The Thyroid Madness' and it is a good book for people with Thyroid Disease but I wouldnt recommend it in your first round of reading because Hashimotos is actually about understanding Autoimmunity first and foremost and *then* how it affects your thyroid.

Best of luck on your journey to health.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for Hashimoto's, 14 Nov. 2013
I can't rave enough about this book! Having Hashimoto's myself, this book is eye-opening! You will discover that there is a lot more you can do than just to take levothyroxine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for Thyroid health, 26 Sept. 2013
E. Veitch (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
I find this book very helpful and maybe the best book available for thyroid health. It explains everything in a easy to understand manner, I found a lot of information on how to start healing myself through natural methods and diets, even if I can't stop the thyroid medication right away I definitely see that there will be a light in the end of the tunnel, just have to follow through. Izabella helps me find many new and undiscovered so far for me methods to find what's the root cause and how to eliminate it. Every person has a different root cause of course, but the healing start when you dig deep. I love the fact that the book describes all the tests you need done, so even when your doctor say "go and get tests for this and that" I can add "hey wait, I will need test for this and that as well, because they give effect to my thyroid". Sadly, not all doctors know the connections and hidden causes. If you still wonder - my vote is - Yes, get this book, it's well worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening!!, 15 Dec. 2013
I have to say I LOVE this book, can't put it down. Firstly would like to say a massive thank you to Dr Izabella Wentz for being so open and sharing this information. I was born without a thyroid gland and have been on levothyroxine my whole life. For many years I have felt awful without knowing why. I am now 32, infertile, fatigued, digestive problems, severe anxiety, foggy, spinal problems.... And the list goes on. I thought it was all in my head and struggle day to day just to get out of bed. I have a very busy important stressful job so have no choice but to get on with it but it's getting so much more difficult. This book has tied so many of my issues together. I have been to my GP who knows nothing about the condition and just said my TH levels are normal so I'm ok. I had to push but now am waiting to see a specialist.... Fingers crossed...
This book was a god send and I hope just in time for me to start feeling "normal" again....x

5.0 out of 5 stars Make's sense. Hashimoto's is an immune disorder - why take a synthetic thyroid pill, instead of curing the immune system?, 11 Oct. 2014
V. Everett "v" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Just ordered this, so commenting in advance, in case it is useful (also to tell my story/vent a little, I feel I am going brainfog insane)

I've had Hashimoto's since I was 18.
No problem getting meds from Drs, as it caused me a heart attack too, and baldness, etc, & my blood results are always off the charts. The problem is the institutional Drs don't know how to fix it.

Initially I just followed advice but once I realised Hashimoto's means I have antibodies to my thyroid (and tests show mine are high), I figured the actual problem is my immune system, and my thyroid is just a symptom. Taking a synthetic thyroid hormone pill is never going to fix my immune system. It is cheap though, one of the cheapest meds on the NHS (T3 is expensive).

So for the past 10 years or so I have been visiting the heads of endocrinology at London's "top" hospital, to ask them why don't we work on my immune system, as that is the root cause of the problem. Brick wall. And large private medical bills.

So that is the jigsaw piece I hope to gain from this book - it IS an immune problem, and let's hope this book helps fix it.

I was in a fatal car accident the week I turned 18. Neck whiplash and stress (when I refused to sleep with the investigating policeman I was charged with manslaughter... I never told a soul, bottled it up and soldiered on). A recipe for immune stress. Within a few months - hashimoto's and heart attack.

Eventually my body got sick of exogenous T4, so I no longer convert T4. I must have at some stage, as 30 years ago I seemed to improve on T4. No problem getting T3 though, after a little pushing, as my blood test results are still off the chart even with high dose T4.

Well after 30 years of high dose T4, and 5 years T3, I stopped the T4 two weeks ago.

I have strong hypo symptoms, especially feeling insane due (I hope!) to brainfog, strong palpitations 24/7 (T4 has a long half life).
I researched a lot, and figured maybe the unconverted T4 has built up to toxicity in my tissues, and overflowed to reverse T3, blocking the T3 receptors so that the synthetic oral T3 that I take is not taken up, etc. So I stopped.

A few days later I visited a well known alternative thyroid specialist who examined me and diagnosed T4 toxicity from unconverted T4 (without me mentioning it) and asked me to stop taking the T4 immediately. Phew. I already had.

Next day I had my routine quarterly NHS blood test.
The NHS, via the head of endocrinology at London's UCH, panicked at the blood test result (no T4).
He refused to treat me as I am "endangering my life" by stopping T4.

Professor NHS wants me to continue the T4, even with my known symptoms, and have an FT4 and TSH blood test in 2 months... I told him (1) an FT4 blood test will not show UNCONVERTED T4 and (2) TSH is irrelevant if we are looking at T3 with a 7 hour half life and (3) I would likely be dead in 2 months.

His response... silence. Nothing doing.
How dare I not follow his advice. No T4, no NHS.
So the NHS would rather I followed their T4 protocol, with meaningless blood tests, and likely died.

He then tried to find out which alternative Dr I had visited.
I sensed another NHS witch hunt so I told him I had self diagnosed.
I had a 24 hour urine sample done, and saliva tests, he refused to accept them.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't... but I am now under the care of the alternative Dr, who is treating my adrenals too.
Hope...

The last piece of the jigsaw for me, I think, is the immune system, so I can't wait to receive this book.
I will post a proper review once I have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hashimoto's - Thyroid problems, 27 Sept. 2014
Dr Izabella Wentz is great - she is a Pharmacist in her early 30s and writes of her health experience in getting to the diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and the information is so up to date and helpful. She tells you of all the different diets and the options, allergies, gut dysbiosis, adrenal issues and how to sort it. I was very impressed.
Also she has just developed the Hashimotos Institute and there is a lot of information on there too, as there were 20 odd different speakers, Endocrinologists, Doctors, Nutritionists all doing a pitch about Hashimoto's.
Not everyone has the same symptoms. It was a fascinating read. If you are tired, your gut is behaving unusually, maybe you have put on weight, you are not thinking straight, you might be depressed and anxious - then read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interested in feeling better and perhaps even putting Hashimoto’s into remission, 27 Aug. 2014
Want to learn more about Hashimoto’s? Interested in feeling better and perhaps even putting Hashimoto’s into remission? Please do yourself a favour and get this book. This book is extremely helpful and tells you all your Dr never told you about Hashimoto’s (he/she should read it, too). The author, who is a pharmacist, is a Hashimoto’s patient herself and has done a great job putting her research available for us in one book. It is quite dense so my advice is to take time for reading. This book does not contain one plan everyone should blindly follow (for me a sign of honesty and seriousness), but encourages and helps you to find your own path that starts with finding your own root cause for Hashimoto’s. Personally I have been testing some of Dr Wentz’ recommendations (diet, supplements, detox) for a few months and the lab tests are already showing great improvement. As a bonus, I have never felt this energetic in all my life! Thank you Izabella Wentz for your wonderful work!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›