5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful addition for me
I often read for 10 minutes before falling asleep, but very little actually seems to penetrate my brain so I find myself constantly going over what I have previously read, on subsequent attempts to read.

Published 9 months ago by Mrs. A. E. P. Davey

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked like it might offer more than it actually did...
Published 15 months ago by Le Kid Bongo

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked like it might offer more than it actually did..., 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas (Paperback)
The book was has been written with the TV audience in mind and does not spoil their fun with spoilers or revelations that occur in the latter books (but have not been filmed and televised yet). It spells out some situations that are less clear on TV than they are in the books – and takes the trouble to spell out some issues that blatantly transparent. There are some other elements addressed about ‘Game of thrones’ such as the role of women in this universe and where some of the references and homages that colour the book come from, however, in all honesty it offers nothing that reading the original source material won’t provide. I bought this entirely on a whim and I wish I had taken a little more time to research my choice. I won’t call it a shameless cash in because it is better than that but I found it to have a lot of filler material, and having read it once i then sent it to the charity shop. I could only recommend this if you like the TV show, want to know more, but are averse to reading anything more than an inch thick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the blog sites on line and save yourself a little money, 15 Oct 2013
I must admit to having downloaded a few of the many books about the books; giving in to my inner geek. One of the first I read was "Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords" by Henry Jacoby. This is a truly excellent compilation from many writers, all of whom seem to know about their subject and offer new insights. This excellent start may have set the bar a little high, but there are several other similar books that do a pretty good job of at the very least entertaining the reader.

Valerie Frankel seems to be a true fan of George RR Martin and is clearly thrilled to have met him and heard him speak. This makes her my type of person. She has also written parodies of Harry Potter which by all accounts are extremely entertaining, so she can obviously write. Unfortunately, if you are going to write a book for geeks you have to have facts and most of them have to be accurate. This is where she falls down, she wanders into regions of history and geography that are clearly not her area of expertise. There may, for instance, have been 300 Spartans at Thermopylae - but I doubt there were many ships; the oracle was supposedly alluding to Salamis when talking of wooden walls. A geek would not get this wrong. Similarly, while George RR Martin did indeed say he based much of his book on The War of the Roses, I suspect he based it on the real war and not on the group of disjointed half facts about the war presented in Winning the Game of Thrones and I truly hope that "based" does not simply refer to a few coincidental similarities in the spelling of character's names.

Playing the name game is great fun and a favorite geek pursuit - but if you are going to write a book based on that either get really credible examples or evidence that they really were the intention of the original author. Valerie Frankel really goes to town trawling examples from the Blogosphere. Strangely she does not go with Joffre and Sansa being Gioffre Borgia and his wife Sancia (Sancha) of Aragon (my personal favorites)... and here lies the nub of my criticism. Valerie Frankel is a fan and she has read blogs from geeks that she happily has transposed to her book - but she is not a geek and she does not have the sad obsession for facts that we geeks are subject to.. so perhaps this was not the ideal book for her to write.

1.0 out of 5 stars Losing the Game...., 13 Nov 2013
Very, very disappointed by this, a few reasons why:

-Overly simplistic chapter about Littlefinger. One of the most interesting, complex and fun characters from both books and TV and he is given a brief word and followed with what can be summed up as: "He is bad so he will get his just desserts." Why? This is hardly the TV series or book series that gives characters their due!!!

-Random chapter on the female characters and feminism. Really annoyed me that Brienne and Arya are dismissed because they 'dress and act like men'. And that many female characters are derided for always talking about men. For a book in a medieval setting involving princesses...well yeah their role was to be marriage/alliance fodder. Depicting them as thus is not sexist, giving them complex and varied characters and not allowing them to be 'defined' by their match-making makes them interesting and complex characters.

Read any online forum and you will get better reviews, ideas and theories....end of

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharing the experience, 21 April 2014
Some people can do this for themselves. For the rest of us, this book just adds and adds to the joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful addition for me, 25 Mar 2014
Mrs. A. E. P. Davey (South Wales) - See all my reviews

So for me, it was nice to have this book to explain things for me. Not sure of it's usefulness for younger, nimbler (is there such a word) brains but for the price, I think you will have noth to complain about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind the throne, 5 Dec 2014
This for the price, is an excellent little book, picking up themes relating to the series. Thoughtful and well researched. Recommended for Games fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Theoretecly exciting, 8 July 2013
In many ways a very captivating exploration into the characters of "A Song of Ice and Fire". I admit, I read the whole book in one bite !! I like the theories, ecpecially the one about Jon Snows parentage. I had thought before that something was amiss there, with Lord Eddard Starks silence on the matter, but this theory makes very much sense, and promises the outcome of the Game of Thrones much more believable and magic. IF the theory is correct, that is... One never knows with George Martin as the true mummer.
There is much and more in the book, all of it good, making you wishing for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars That explains it!!!, 22 May 2014
THIS REALLY HELPS ,WHEN thereIS A TIME LAPSE BETWEEN books.
I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT OFFERING.
I hope it's soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrones, 3 Jan 2014
Having read all the "Game of thrones" sequence thus far, this book confirms some of my thoughts and provokes others.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read and a must for the fans, 23 Oct 2013
Jonathan R. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
good insight into the books, buyers beware, fans of the series are in for spoilers galore and a great look into all the major and minor characters

Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas
Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas by Valerie Estelle Frankel (Paperback - 12 May 2013)