5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
I loved the premise of the story. The book manages to balance silliness with seriousness and lightly touches on some serious topics although it does not explore them in too much depth. It is engaging all the way through.
Published 12 months ago by Q

3.0 out of 5 stars there are some genuinely funny moments (the Draco Malfoy wizard costume was a nice ...
I hadn't heard anything about the book or the author but was sold on the premise of the story, which struck me as a cross between The Matrix, Back to the Future and Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. A hacker nobody discovers that the world as we know it is just a computer simulation and with a few changes to the program he can make himself anything he wants to be...
Published 5 months ago by S GIBBARD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, want more!, 4 May 2013
Gavin Berry "Big Gav" (Chesterfield, England) - See all my reviews
A great read, well told, funny, clever and more than I expected, can see it going places as a story arc.

4.0 out of 5 stars How Not To Get The Girl, 1 May 2013
A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court, rewritten to star Joe Schmuck who is looking for an easy life while on the run from the US Treasury, who are making things difficult. A wish fulfillment fantasy for geeks, by the author of the wonderful Basic Instructions comic strip.

5.0 out of 5 stars genuinely laugh out loud funny, 29 April 2013
i loved this book - good for the young adult audience and the middle aged adult audience alike. I'd like a sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 29 April 2013
Couldn't put it down. Great technical details and a good plot. I enjoyed the clever ideas and the dialogue. Some details were a little dodgy and it could do with another proofread to correct various missing articles, etc. Looking forward to a sequel or another book from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable first novel, 28 April 2013
Rory HJ (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book primarily to support the author, whose webcomic Basic Instructions is one of my favourites, hoping it would also be funny. Though it has the occasional typos and missed punctuation of a self published book, I was pleasantly surprised to find the story itself highly engaging and ended up reading past midnight to finish it. I would strongly recommend this book to any fan of comedic Sci Fi.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good first effort, 18 April 2013
A cunning exploration of a clever idea, funny in parts but with no real sense of actual danger. I'd like to think that Scott has plotted a larger explanation for what is going on (see Bedlam, which does exactly that) other than it was cool for the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate you Amazon, 12 April 2013
You sent this book to my email. Foolishly I looked inside. Now, ten minutes later, and not having done anything, I will have to buy it. The book captured my imagination straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 April 2013
As a fan of Basic Instructions, I wasn't sure how a book written by Scott would come out. I hadn't thought that the inspiration behind the humorous four panel jokes would turn out the be a brilliant author, but I've been proved wrong. This book has an interesting story, funny characters, and a new take on a classic fantasy theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Films and video games, 11 Sept. 2014
someone will make a cool film, I hope. Someone else a very cool 80's retro platform game soon after...or having read the book someone will go back in time to the 80's and invent a game which the book and film will be based on.
I read the first two books back to back. Silliness...just the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Matrix meets magic..., 24 Jan. 2015
Picked up on a whim and an enjoyable read. Interesting premise, but felt a little simplistic. The story moves along at a rapid pace but feels a bit underdeveloped. It served the purpose (an undemanding read on the plane) and I may be tempted to pick up the next one of the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

Off to Be the Wizard
Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer (Paperback - 29 Mar. 2013)
Used & New from: £999.11