on 21 November 2013
I agree with a previous reviewer, it would have been nice to see the toddler in the story nurse before bed, to create the association of nursing as a before-and-after activity, where nighttime is a limited, finite block of time and not as intimidating for the child. But I think that presents a problem--nursing before bed is done when it is already dark out (at least, in our family). So I don't think I could really use this particular book for night-weaning, because since my toddler nurses even when the sun is not shining (8:00, 8:30 pm) I would seem to be contradicting the message.

I love Nursies When the Sun Shines for its content; I just wish there was more content! The illustrations are beautiful and the scuff-free laminate of the cover is nice to touch. My daughter loves the fact that the cat looks just like ours and appears on many of the pages. It is just so short, when there are so many more text and images that could have been included to draw a toddler in and get focused on the message through the familiarity of a bedtime routine of the characters, the toddlers feelings as night-weaning starts and the toddler overcomes the conflict, etc. (you know... a story arc!). Bottom line, I just can't get on board since I would like bedtime to mark the beginning of night-weaning, not sunset.
on 5 November 2015
My 17 month old used me as a dummy throughout the entire night. Waking every 90 minutes was driving me crazy. I thought it was about time to begin night weaning. I 'knew' she'd not be happy.
I read this book every night for 2 weeks and explained that we'd soon be doing this.
The first night she woke 6 times. The second she slept through until 5am, had a drink of water and slept until 7:40am. On the third night (today is the morning after), she slept through until 6:20am and cuddled until 7am.
on 11 October 2013
Loved the concept of this book and whilst I have decided to wait a bit before night weaning my 18 month old I think this will be perfect when I do. Lovely happy illustrations and such a gentle way to bring up the idea. Love this book :-)
on 13 May 2016
Fab book which makes stopping night feeds a gentle process. Took a few months of reading this book every night before my 2 1/2yr old seemed to understand, but ultimately was a great social story. As luck would have it the mummy and baby had the same hair as my son and me, so he thought it had been written specially for him. Highly recommend.
on 30 December 2015
A positive book to support night weaning with your little one. The illustrations are beautiful. We do reword the story when telling to our little one, as we say 'mummy milk' not 'nursies' but he's too young to know. The illustrations show parents cosleeping with their toddler.
on 6 October 2015
My nursing toddler loves this book! Hasn't yet started to work in terms of night weaning but it's only been a couple of days. She asks to read it all the time, and it's spot on in addressing night weaning gently yet directly. Let's hope the message filters through!
on 2 March 2015
A beautifully illustrated, simply worded book ~ bought to read with my little boy (33 months old). He is gradually grasping the idea, not forcing it on him, just reading the book together & letting nature take its' course ...
on 3 October 2013
I have bought this book with the intention of night weaning my son. We haven't achieved that yet but went we commit to it I think the book will be useful. There are good tips in it how to use the book to help with the process
on 12 January 2015
A beautiful story to help your toddler with night weaning. We have stated reading it to our 2 year old but I think it may take some time yet before she gets the message lol!
on 30 July 2014
I have found this book very helpful in night weaning my 2.5 year old boy. I have to say, reading some of the other reviews where it's mentioned that the child d