5.0 out of 5 stars Great
As a lover of Jane Austens books - which I have re-read many times - I was intrigued to read this book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Published 16 months ago by Jules

1.0 out of 5 stars None
Published on 10 Jun. 2012 by hbels

1.0 out of 5 stars None, 10 Jun. 2012
I had to give up reading this halfway through chapter 5. So disappointing.The author tries to emulate Jane's style which is what you'd expect and maybe even hope for, and to a small degree succeeds.However, she does put toomuch of a millsand boon style on the story for me which rather spoils it. Darcy and Elizabeth particularly come across as very wooden.as the author is clearlyAmerican and born in the 20th century, this doesn't helpwith the flow. Sadly it bored me

3.0 out of 5 stars it was ok but it sounded too american, 4 Jan. 2013
I enjoyed the book however there was a few things that has annoyed me a bit - first, spelling - ms winslow has decided to use american spelling and therefore the book doesnt tie in with the original austen classic. secondly - I felt as though wickham loved elizabeth more than his own wife which again that doesnt bode well with the original story as wickham is a cold hearted individual who lusts after power and money. And thirdly - The kidnapping of elizabeth is a little far - fetched since wickham has been banned from pemberley and according to the original, has been disgraced by his behaviour to the Bennet family. All in all, I thought that this book is a good book, but the author has poorly conducted this and made it into 20th century style rather than 18th century style which in my opinion, is a little disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly better than the P D James version..., 22 Nov. 2012
If I could give this 3.5 stars I would as I did at least finish it, but I found the use of Americanisms tedious. I lived in the States for a while and there was a wonderful book in the library about understanding the world and language of Jane Austen - I think it was Myra Stokes The Language of Jane Austen: A Study of Some Aspects of her Vocabulary (1991) - and I suggest that the author finds it and reads it. Having said that this is nothing like as bad as the P D James Death comes to Pemberly that I read directly before...

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 10 Jan. 2013
Moon Insect (channel islands) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this book but the Americanism and sexing up of the characters is just so un-austen like I just couldn't enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Naff but fun!, 20 May 2012
W. Martin "Mummy Martin" (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
Ok, the characters are familiar to some extent, though not quite so convincing and 3 dimensional as in Pride and Prejudice. The style of writing is ok, though many expressions that each character uses are reused from Pride and Prejudice rather than being original. A fun yarn though, passes the time and fun to imagine what may have happened next in Austen's story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Darcys of Pemberley, 27 Jan. 2013
It was fine as a story, quite a page turner, in fact. Had it not used the Pride and Prejudice "people" it would have been a ripping yarn. As a type of sequel it was a disaster.
I could not abide the archness that surrounded the sexual encounters.
The writer seemed to have little knowledge of early 19th century travel. The mail, which was considered quite fast went at 7 miles an hour. Private carriages depending on their number of horses and weight were either faster or slower than that, but not much. The fastest carriage was a sporting curricle, built for racing, and that went at 16 miles an hour, at the fastest. People did not travel from Hertfordshire to Kent for funerals.

1.0 out of 5 stars The American Version, 24 May 2012
I reached page 17 of chapter one and there are six American spellings so far (and one grammatical error). Is this a joke? I cannot read on. It's just awful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Dec. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 2 Oct. 2013
Dagmar Eberhardt (England) - See all my reviews
Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors and Price and Prejudice my most beloved of her novels. I was therefore looking forward to this sequel with mixed feelings - really interested in how the writer might continue the story but not quite convinced that she would pull it off.

Quickly I realised that this should have never been written. The writer gets some of the facts wrong, which could have easily been avoided. She really missed the mark in trying to emulate Jane Austen's style, but then maybe that's not possible. It is obvious that she did try, but unfortunately not very successfully. It had hints of a bodice ripper which are totally out of place in a sequel to a novel by Jane Austen who would turn in her grave if she read them! The style, the dialogue, the descriptive narrative were also simply disappointing and had nothing of the beauty of the original novel. Maybe Jane just spoilt us too much with her fabulous story-telling, her keen observation of society and relationships and her elegant, intelligent and witty style. A hard act to follow... and it just didn't work, I am afraid.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Darcy's of pemberley, 26 Jan. 2014
Esther Devine (North of England (UK)) - See all my reviews
This is quite an easy read, with none of the subtleties of the great Jane Austin, no humour or wit! happy endings all round! how twee, an insult to the intelligence of true Jane enthusiasts

The Darcys of Pemberley: The Continuing Story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice