on 5 February 2013
I read "Lure of the Vampire" by Bertena Varney. The book is basically a survey of everything you could possibly want to know about vampires. It has a lot of good information, some of it very strange and off the wall. However, the main sections that had writing from the author had misspellings and incorrect word choice (every instead of very for example). I am not a huge fan of vampires to start with. What really got to me though is that the last section of the book is an about me section in which the author states this will be used as a *textbook* for a college class that she is teaching. She has two masters degrees and she didn't bother to spell check a novel/textbook that was published.

However much the writing style bothered me, there was a lot of good and interesting information presented in the book. It had information (easy to read lists) on a multitude of topics related to vampires starting with their history and moving to film and people who believe they are real life vampires. It also included essays written by various contributors (which had a much more polished writing style) and a few interviews with various "vampires" of today. I believed the information was good due to a very extensive bibliography in the back of the book which did show that a great deal of research had been done.

Personally, vampires are not my cup of tea and I skimmed over portions of this book, however, for a true vampire aficionado, this would be a great and thought-provoking book.

I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars - good information, but it needed some more revision before it went to press.