5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse (Paperback)
This is rather long for a book review, but I make no apologies as I want everyone to understand how important it is for us all to open our minds to the truth about chronic pain.

I started having migraines after a prolonged period of extreme stress . They increased from about one per month to 2-3 per week over about a 3 year period. At this stage I sought medical help, but was overmedicated by a neurologist and suffered a lot of side effects, which scared the life out of me, so making my health way worse. I ended up in a real mess not knowing what was "me" and what were genuine side effects. Over a period of three years I was on Neurontin, Lyrica, Topomax, Zonegran, Verapamil, Carbemazapine, Valium, Xyprexa, Prednisone, Morphine, Coedeine and some others I can't now recall and I was just getting worse and worse.

I still had migraines, but I also had a permanent headache, vision and hearing problems, insomnia, severe nerve, joint and muscle pain, bladder control problems and anxiety. Every nerve in my body felt like it was buzzing and burning, I felt like I had the flu and I was utterly exhausted. It was a living hell, I was severely depressed, I suffered depersonalization and derealization too at my lowest points. I had a lot of time off work, but somehow managed to keep my job. I was permanently terrified of losing my husband, job, home and sanity. I thought I would never be well again. My "official" diagnosis was chronic migraine, fibromyalgia and medication side effect with withdrawal syndrome.

I tried all sorts of complimentary therapies, chiropractic, osteopathy, acupuncture, reiki, massage therapy, trigger point treatment, Trager, the Alexander technique and the low amine diet. I wasted a small fortune.

I was also given a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation device, to zap my head with to supposedly cure my migraine (it didn't). Anyway I was researching the device on the internet, and typed in TMS ! I found Dr.Sarno's "The Mindbody Prescription" and boy did I have a eureka moment. I decided then and there I was having my life back.

It took me a year to get off all my medication, that's now 20 months ago. It was a very bumpy ride, but I was slowly improving all the time. The medication had been severely effecting my cognitive function, and that was the first thing I welcomed back.

When I stumbled on Dr.Sarno I recognised myself immediately, and tried to apply the principles, but I needed more guidance, so I got hold of a copy of "The Great Pain Deception". That was the real turning point for me, I devoured every word, and really understood what healing from Mindbody Syndrome is all about.

My health is improving all the time, I have my life back now from being practically housebound.

People say "I'm worried sick" or "Stop worrying, you'll make yourself ill", but their egos resist what is truly required to heal. We need to open our eyes to the truth and this book is a great place start.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on TMS and mindbody syndrome, 15 July 2013
This is a wonderful book. Yes it's long, yes, it's repetitive, but that really helps drive the message home. I will reread it again and again. Start with John Sarno's books, then read this one. I am so happy that the author took the time and trouble to write and publish this book. It takes all the wisdom of the many books about mindbody syndrome/TMS and distils it all into one very readable, very human book. Like other reviewers, for the first few pages I found the puns and jokes a bit cringe-making, but as I warmed to the author it was like listening to an entertaining friend. A warm, concerned and very kind friend. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for hurting people, 30 May 2013
I had already read Dr. Sarno's books, so I was ready for more in depth teaching about how we can heal ourselves using our mind. The author explains this so well, and tells us his own painful story, and his journey to complete recovery. I like his use of humour throughout, as it could otherwise be a bit solemn. He has also researched so many books and authors and condensed it all for us in the book. I have changed and healed from reading this, and implementing his advice. I encourage anyone to consider a new paradigm on pain and healing; this book will be sufficient for most people to do this.
Remember, your mind is like a parachute: it works best when open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Judge a Book...etc etc, 28 April 2012
This is a really good read about the concept of mindbody/stress illness and specifically somatisation and the TMS thesis first presented by Dr Sarno.

I think the book works best when we get down to the nitty gritty of the authors plethora of symptoms and the awful turn of events that led to them developing. There is much in the book about the theory behind TMS and the work of Freud and Jung etc and this can be quite heavy going but I suppose it is necessary to have an understanding of this to accept the benign diagnosis of a functional disorder.

I do think the book is slightly too long and could have been edited down a tad and there is also a fair amount of repition but too be fair to the author he states this is on purpose and is done in order for the concepts to sink in.

I am well read on mindbody illness and TMS and I have to say this is a fantastic book on the subject and probably the best outside of Sarno's original works. The chapter on memes is particuarly enlightening.

If I had to make one suggestion however it would be to change the cover....its awful and I'm sure would be really off putting for many.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this!, 12 Dec 2013
This book is well worth reading - it begins with Steven's case and underpinning psychological theories, then gets stuck into explaining TMS. Steven consistently represents the same message that suppressed feeling can lead to 'pain' through oxygen reduction to a particular place in the body. We treat the 'pain' rather than look at the unwanted thoughts/feelings that triggered the 'pain'. It is a thoroughly convincing book. I am reading it for a second time get his message into my unconscious mind. Really read this book thoroughly, and may you be healthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes, 4 Aug 2013
This book is Amazing my doctor told me to fight the pain I was going through. One day my body was in pain all over and I saw a programme on the telly that cheered me up and my pain went a way all day but then came back.I didn't know what was going on I started investigating on the internet and came across this book it really opened my eyes"

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should sit on every GP's desk, 14 Jun 2012
I'm a Clinical Hypnotherapist and Cognitive Behavioural Hypno-Psychotherapist specializing in mind / body disorders such as those listed on the front cover of this book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone suffering with pain who want's to understand why. An excellent in-depth read

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an amazing and fun book for those who have TMS!!!, 19 May 2014
I've been reading Dr. Sarno's books regarding TMS and at times it's just not too clear for me but when I got another bout of TMS I was desperate for another book and I stumbled upon Steve's and it was just heaven sent. He made things very understandable, light and fun! He's been through an awful lot and now he's in his best self in years! Truly remarkable!

If you need further understanding of Dr. Sarno's wisdom, you got to have this book. I tell you!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 21 April 2014
Am reading this together with `Healing Back Pain' by John E Sarno MD. It is a new thought to me. I have been suffering back pain for a very long time and exhausted most treatments. I am thoughtful about this idea. Not decided yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 15 April 2014
This book is a must read for all those who suffer from chronic illness and pain. It is, in my opinion the best book on TMS following on from Dr John Sarno's Healing Back Pain. This is a well-researched and easy to understand book where Steven takes you on his own very personal journey of many years of pain and suffering to making a full recovery.

The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse
The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse by Steven Ray Ozanich (Paperback - 13 Dec 2011)
13.04