Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2011
I'll start with the negatives. This book could have done with an good editor... for the first 30% of the book you feel it's more of a fly-on-the-wall account, where the camera is being waved around at anyone that talks. It's informative, entertaining even, but it's a diary of events, and the writing style is a bit lacking.

Slowly, you get the sense that the author is learning how to write, and wham, about half way through the book it all begins to come together into a real story. It's natural for the words at the start of the book to be very different to the words at the end, perhaps written 6-12 months after the start, and I feel stronger editing could have dealt with that.

What about the positives? The last 30% of the book, really is a very compelling read. As the introductions and the explanations are completed, the pace really picks up and the result is gripping.

The real positive here, though, is the message. We really are all just living in a world made of straw, where our children only know that bread and milk comes from the supermarket, water comes from the tap, and no-one has any concept of "seasonal" produce anymore because most of it travels thousands of miles before it reaches the table, all year round. The human race is so very vulnerable, and civilisation could implode at any time.

There will, of course, be survivors - there always are - and reading this book gives some useful insight in how to be on the winning team.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 December 2013
I was hooked on this post EMP novel for the first 40%. Fascinating story of how people can combine individual skills to survive as a community after disaster. But then it just seemed to drag. Battle after battle with different groups of MZBs (Mutant Zombie Bikers) and each battle much the same - hard to tell apart. After about 70% I admit to just flicking through it to see how it ended because I'd lost interest. To my mind the novel cut by about 40% and excluding the repetitive chunks would have been far better and worthy of 4*s at least.
on 8 May 2013
The book is about an EMP that wipes out most things electrical that makes modern living comfortable. I like the way the book is written in that it doesn't just focus on the main character, but builds on the personalities & characters of a small group fighting to survive this life changing event. Found the pace good there was always some problem or frustrating event that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Good value, I look forward to a follow up book by the same author.
on 9 March 2014
This is a long book, but never less than interesting. The characters are well-drawn and believable. I also feel the scenario is more realistic than the usual instant societal breakdown in most post-apocalyptic stories.
The main protagonist, Mark Turner, is a reluctant leader, wrestling with his moral code and a decline in the rule of law. He is supported and opposed by believable characters and I like the level of prepping desribed.
on 6 February 2013
This is a novel wrapped around a manual. The characters were interesting and credible. The plot hung together and built nicely. It knows what it is, a nice paper back for readers seeking an escape whilst on a plane or train. It does exactly that. I found it very enjoyable to read, and it captured my imagination to make a long journey seem very short.

What more can a commuter ask. Good read.
on 15 October 2015
Absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed this book.
on 9 December 2012
It was reasonably well written, but very "male brain." Lots of details about weapons, fights, etc. I wondered if the author had been a soldier. As a woman, there wasn't enough psychological insight, or descriptive prose, to delight me. The book was rather long. Interesting subject, but probably not for me.
on 14 April 2012
I originally read this when it was available free to read online, enjoyed it so much just had to purchase it to read again on my kindle, well worth buying if you enjoy this genre.