4.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Fun

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear,oh dear, 16 July 2010
Potterywhizz (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker (Paperback)
Where do I start? Even Miss Austen's plot was not considered good enough to retain in this version of P&P.Every misunderstanding and potential source of conflict is removed and settled within a page at most.Darcy is ready to propose by page 98 but ditters for another fifty pages.Prior to this he does a great deal of grovelling while Lizzie runs about calling herself 'her father's son'.Yes we get that she is a tom boy but is it really necessary for her to climb trees and sit up the tree singing as well? I kid you not when I state that these characters are not Austen's Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet.By page 164 Darcy had proposed and kissed Lizzie and I freely admit that it was a challenge to read another hundred and fifty pages.At that stage George Wickham -his whole unhappy background fully explained-had yet to put in an actual appearance, Mr Bennet was acting as the font of all wisdom and Mr Darcy's pseudo-father and Mr Collins is headed off before he even makes his proposal of marriage.Lady Catherine and Wickham unite as uber-baddies. There is no dramatic tension and none of the comedy that Miss Austen handled with such a light hand. Indeed a couple of her wittiest lines are extended unnecessarily and explained as though the reader is too stupid to get the joke any other way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Fun, 25 Mar. 2011
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker (Paperback)
Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker is a P&P variation - it starts at the same point as the original novel but then diverges from the original plot for a number of reasons. Overall I did enjoy it; it's a frothy feel-good sort of book that kept me smiling. Poetic justic was handed out in spades to the villains of the piece - although I'm not quite sure that her brother, even as a belted Earl, would have been able to manage what actually happens to Lady Catherine, but it's a nice thought!

I suppose on the downside you could say that all potential sources of conflict are resolved rather too quickly and easily. I'm still not entirely convinced about Lizzy sitting and singing in trees either!

It also could have done with some better editing. The typesetting was odd as there were sometimes unecessarily large gaps between words. The bookseller at Meryton was named one thing one minute and something else a few pages on which threw me for a minute. There were also errors and inconsistancies in title usage: Sir William Lucas was referred to both as Sir William (correctly) and Sir Lucas (no-no).

I would have thought higher of Darcy's intelligence though - surely he should have figured out who Mr Bennet was?!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun, almost farce, 21 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker (Paperback)
What if Colonel Fitzwilliam had accompanied Bingley and Darcy to Netherfield? What is Mr Darcy makes friends with a mysterious stranger in Meryton?

These are the suggested changes to the Pride and Prejudice story mentioned on the back on this book. It should also add "What if all the rest of the characters had complete personality transplants?!"

This book was fun and entertaining for the most part once I had realised what I was in for. Darcy is more like a lovesick sex-crazed teenager and Elizabeth scarely opens her mouth other than to say yes or no and agree with whatever else anyone has said. It describes their courtship and engagement nicely at first but then it definitely goes on for a bit long in the second half with nothing much happening and gets a bit sickly sweet and implausible at times. It does a good job of portraying Mr Bennet though and some of the endings that happen to some of the characters are hysterical if you ignore how ridiculous they are. I would recommend it as a read for die hard Darcy fans that are not too fussed about Austen accuracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good read, funny in places., 21 July 2010
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker (Paperback)
This book for me was a real page turner. Mr Bennet plays matchmaker, I really felt sorry for Collins and Darcy but you get further into the book you see the wisdom he has given them. Yes Lizzy is still a bit of a tomboy and her father's daughter. I was surprised to read about her sitting in trees and singing as well but hey she is only 20 and a very carefree 20 year old. Not by today's standards 20 year old's are more grown up but back then from the history books I have researched she would be more like a modern 15 or 16 year old, plus very naive where as today teenagers are more grown up physically and mentally. Women/girls back then were expected to be naive, demure(as in the case of Jane), light hearted, perhaps witty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker, 4 Sept. 2014
A scintillating version of a truly romantic love story, told with sympathy and detail. All the usual characters are present but differ in actions, thoughts and consequences. I loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars UNEXPECTED TWIST, 17 Jun. 2013
Martine (Tring, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Without giving it away I was surprised by the identity of the matchmaker which is always a good thing. It is well wrote and held my interest for the most part. Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely story, 1 July 2013
I adored ths book. Without giving away the plot the story was engaging and sweet. I have reread this a number of times and never tire of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 22 Dec. 2013
Loved this book. I'm a huge Jane Austin fan and this is an excellent addition to my growing book collection of alternative endings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much shopping, 23 Mar. 2013
I love the story Mr Bennett is a good character. I'd like a sequel.

Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker by Emma Hox (Paperback - 15 April 2010)