Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 February 2009
This is a lovely, lovely story, and an interesting what-if for those who are fans of P&P. What if the smallest change happened when Darcy came to Lambton Inn? The combination of engaging characterizations, humor and sweetness, without being cloying makes for a most enjoyable read. And, it is appropriate for all ages and sensibilities. There is no explicit sex, but there is plenty of romance.

It is a satisfying romance, even if you're not a fan of Pride and Prejudice. A great choice for lazy afternoon read.
on 29 March 2011
Very disappointed.I thought that this was a new Abigail Reynolds but except for the first paragraph this book is From Lambton to Longbourne with a different title
on 1 January 2008
Very good story and definitely good read Abigail Reynolds really concentrates on how Elizabeth & Darcy continually misinterpreted every conversation between each other until they meet a lasting understanding of one and other. Very Racy at times ! My only negative thing is to say far to short ! Left me wanting more much more and Abigail Reynolds found it necessary to change the original double wedding although not sure why as it did not add anything to the story.
on 26 November 2013
I'd always wanted Darcy to give some assurance to Elizabeth before leaving the inn that fateful day in Lambton and so this variation sounded very interesting to me. The opening scene when Darcy makes clear his feelings and is assuring Elizabeth that he does not wish to severe the acquaintance between them because of Lydia's recent behaviour. Darcy certainly has a very successful way of comforting and assuring Elizabeth!

The development of certain well-known characters such as Bingley and Georgiana are great to see in this variation. I particularly love Georgiana - she begins to grow in confidence, and she builds a wonderful relationship with Elizabeth and is a very useful source of information for Elizabeth in finding out more about her brother. One of my favourite aspects between these two is their correspondence; it allows them to become closer and there are many fun (and important) revelations in these letters, as well as few lessons in the art of teasing! Georgiana also builds up a fun relationship with both Mary and Kitty (which is to be expected given their similarity in age).

The Gardiners also are brilliant and very... useful in this story. They are very sweet towards both Elizabeth and Darcy (Mr Gardiner towards Mr Darcy in particular) and are helpful in dropping the odd hint or conveniently letting slip a piece of information (or concealing certain knowledge!) in the hopes it will help promote the growing relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. Mr Bennet was another interesting character and he and Mr Darcy have a very amusing relationship.

Now to the main two character of the story; Elizabeth and Darcy both go through a rollercoaster of emotions. The extent of the love they feel for one and another causes them both pain. He is terrified at losing her again and she is very upset at any thought of Darcy losing his affections for her. It is clear how they both require that security of marriage to be completely happy - both have a talent for misunderstanding each other (not to mention Elizabeth completely misjudging Darcy at first and Darcy being rejected in the most insensitive manner imaginable!) and so I think this behaviour is perfectly reasonable, and at times it is very touching to read. This story is very Elizabeth and Darcy focused, the majority of the scenes being between them (which is always a bonus) and I enjoyed seeing such an extended courtship and engagement as we are privy to in this variation and seeing the ease of conversation growing between them - normally in variations they get engaged, get married, the end.

I have already said how this is a very Darcy and Elizabeth focused story, and this means that this is a variation full of romance. There are so many scenes which are beautifully romantic (perfect for a hopeless romantic like myself!) and my heart was melting most of the time! This is one of Abigail Reynolds clean variations, but it is quite a passionate story, with many (many!) stolen kisses.

When the wedding day finally arrives (I would have warned you of the spoiler, but really, we all know what is going to happen in the end!) the description of the day is perfect. It still amazes me how with every variation I read the final joining and security of marriage continues to have the same effect on me, even though I know it is, of course, going to happen! I felt particularly happy with this one, and the relief and joy I felt when they finally married is always a good indication of the quality of the writing and the depth and emotions the authoress can create in her beloved characters.

I liked having an epilogue which is not set years into the future, describing their children and such things. It was a nice change to read how the couple are getting on just a few months into their marriage. The book also ended in the same inn in Lambton where it began, which created a lovely loop and provided a perfect end to a wonderful story. This was a very passionate and romantic story showing the importance of trust in a relationship which has already been through many trials and tribulations!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This variation picks up Pride and Prejudice at the point of Darcy going to the inn at Lambton. Lizzy has just read the bad news about Lydia's elopement and the variation here is that Darcy doesn't leave the inn, but instead stays to comfort Lizzy. In fact, he does a remarkable job of distracting her from her woes so that when the Gardiners return they find Lizzy and Darcy in an embrace! She is unwilling to enter into an engagement straight away, as they don't know each other well and she is aware how badly she misjudged him so doesn't want to rush things. Lizzy returns to the south and begins to realise how much she actually cares for Mr Darcy and once she throws some encouragement his way their relationship moves on.

While I enjoyed this story it isn't my favourite of Abigail Reynolds, not enough happens in the story for me, I felt it could have done with some more tension. This story focused very much on the emotional relationship between the couple; the insecurities and passion they engender in the other provides much of the meat of the story. There is a LOT of kissing, but those of you who prefer your books to stay out of the bedroom will be be pleased because there are no sex scenes and no pre-marital sex.
on 18 February 2014
This is the first of Ms Reynolds books that I've read/listened too, having read parts on Kindle and listened to others on Audible as I sometimes commute by public transport and sometimes drive. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Some of the reviewers don't like the non-Regency descriptions of romance/love/sex scenes in Ms Reynolds books, but these variations are by a modern author telling the story for a modern audience so I don't have a problem with it. Of course the original is rightly regarded as a classic and will remain so forever but from the Austen variations I've read/listened to so far, this has to be one of my favourites and I will be seeking out more of Ms Reynolds work in the very near future.

Anyone who loves the story of Elizabeth Bennet and her Fitzwilliam Darcy should give this a try. We still get the same Happy Ever After but how they get there is somewhat different and very interesting. Well done, Abigail!
on 7 June 2013
I never really liked that Darcy left the Inn so quickly without any promise of future acquaintance, it made me think he was covering himself if he couldn't find Wickham and Lydia. So, this is a lovely variation with him doing the right thing and comforting Lizzy before leaving.

I don't really understand the wedding date changes later in the book, it seemed rather unnecessary to me.

I liked it because it gives you a real sense of Darcy's struggle and heartache over time, which is obviously implied in the original but this brings that to life. Mr and Mrs Gardiner are a delight as always, and there is a pleasing lack of Caroline Bingley throughout most of the book.

Nicely done.
on 10 August 2013
A excellent read which compliments the original story line with some pertinent additions. I thoroughly enjoyed this version and found it really believable in such a short version. Well written with sympathetic characters and a promising story line. I would recommend this version to all Jane Austin's followers.
on 2 January 2015
We know that Lizzy and Darcy have a unique relationship despite any obstacles and that the it's passionate. This seemed to be the whole of the story here though and I've come to expect more from Abigail Reynolds. Some good bits with Mr Bennett though and I'll keep looking for Mrs Reynolds
on 13 September 2013
I really enjoyed this variation. I enjoyed how Darcy stayed with Elizabeth at the Inn and reassured her. You also get an insight into their courtship. Would highly recommend this book to all P & P fans