Format: School & Library Binding|Change

on 24 October 2004
This is the last and perhaps the most important book written by Dr. Carl Gustav Jung. He was among the first to interpret dreams and amazingly this book came about *because* of a dream. Jung dreamt he was talking about this topic to a large audience who were *not* psychiatrists and psychologists - evidently *his* unconcsious put it's stamp of approval on this project!
This book is a great introduction to the "hidden" meaning of the symbols used in legends, medieval archetecture, classic books, and ancient myths as well as dreams. Patterns of psychic growth and development, individuation and transcendence are explained along with other psychological terms with real life examples at times. It is not about depth psychology or sociopathic problems.
One chapter was written by C.G. Jung, the others were written by his eminent followers, among whom are: M.L. von Frantz, Joseph L. Henderson, Angela Jaffe, and Jolande Jacobi. This book is a "must have" for anyone who is interested in learning more about human behavior from the "inside out". Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)
on 28 September 2001
To be honest when i first picked up the book i was sure that it would be an eye opener but i got more than i expected . It was almost as if i had opened another set of eyes that were able to see though humanity. The reason being that this book allows you to see the world for what it trully is rather than what it appears to be. Man and his Symbols dives into the human psyche to expose the misconceptions we have about ourselves and others as well as exposing some of the similarities we have with other people. Carl Gustav and other writers in the book are very talented in relating the 20 years of research which it took to uncover the mystery about our conscious world and the unconscious world that we tend to ignore.This made the book more pleasant to read.The book also doesn't assume that you are familiar with his other work and gives a full overview of other related topics to do with the psyche. I also loved reading the sections of the book devoted to our dreams and their relevance. By doing this you are taken on a wonderfull journey through your mind and the minds of others. I also loved the book because it was written by a multitude of people each with their own opinion on the same topic area. And i can say that this made the book more interesting to read. I spent many late nights with this book in my hands. After i read this book i have so far read more of Jungs other books as they cover many different topics that all offer the same if not more
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2009
I went looking for a book that would be simple to read and understand. This was definitely it. As some one who has never studied psychology and who has very little knowledge of Jung or even the subject. I found it very informative but also put in terms that were very easy to understand. If your interested in the subject it's a definite must read. simple but not patronising.
on 14 December 2009
Jung's style of writing is annoying, as he seems to go from one tangent to the next, without much indication of the point he seems to be trying to make. However, if you can deal with this and make it through the first chapter, there is a wealth of knowledge inside this book. There are several chapters, each written by a different associate of Jung, so the book is fairly balanced, and gives a wide spectrum of information and experience to the reader, from different angles and points of view.

This book is excellent if you've just discovered Jung, and you're looking for a summary of his works. It touches on most of his theories, but focuses on the symbols of man, the archetypes, and the collective unconscious, and how these are shown through dreams. After reading this (and rereading many parts again) I've found myself quite able to interpret my own dreams, and have even attempted to interpret others'. Jung notes that it's important to remember that dreams are quite personal to the dreamer, and one symbol may mean something completely different for somebody else. He stresses the importance that the interpretation "clicks" for the dreamer, and "feels right".

The book deals with seemingly constant struggle between mans' rational, modern way of thinking, and the more intuitive and unconscious way of thinking of our ancestors. Modern man has seemingly forgotten himself, amongst the distractions of modern life, and so our one link from our rational minds to our symbolic minds is through dreams.

The way in which aboriginal people strive to create a parallel between their outer world and inner world is interesting, and may be a missing link in the modern way of life, keeping us from seeing our spiritual nature.
on 29 February 2012
This book was recommended to me by my art studio tutor, whilst I wasn't sure on it from its cover or the size of it (being dyslexic sometimes means I find large books a bit intimidating) I decided to give it a go and try to read it. I am so glad that I did!!! This book offers an excellent array of topics and is split into chapters that can be read as and when you feel like it. There are plenty of images to help you relate the content to the practical side of things too. It is well written and offers an interesting viewpoint of several authors. Not as heavy going as many books on these topics, which makes it much more accessible, which I feel is an interesting parallel considering the topic of the book.

I would thoroughly recommend this book, in presentation, style, content, idea and everything else. It is a great tool for reference and offers really useful insights into the world of Jung and therapeutic thinking processes. Buy it! I will certainly continue to reference from it throughout my career as an art therapist!
on 11 January 2012
I mainly bought it for my studies, i study art psychotherapy and it's an essential tool for research. Carl Jung has some interesting ideas and i would recommend it to anybody who is interested in psychology, dreams and fantasies, however, it has a very traditional outtake, ie gender specific opinions.
on 27 May 2015
A very poor version of the book. Small book printed on very poor quality paper. Many of the photographs from the original are missing. I would not recommend this book to anyone...look for second-hand copies of the original instead!
on 6 June 2011
Book is absolutely great,
if you are into any type of psychology therapy, counselling, or Tarot - you need to have it,
easy to read, straight to the point, no mendacious propaganda, inspiring.
on 21 November 2012
This is basically an overview of Jungian psychology, with a bias towards an explanation of the symbol creating function in man's unconscious psyche.The book is split into 5 sections by different authors.Section 1, is by Jung who lays the groundwork for the following chapters with an explanation of the unconscious.Section 2, relates to myths and their relevance to modern man.Section 3,discusses the individuation process.Section 4, concerns the visual arts and representations of the unconscious.Section 5, is a case study of dream analysis,and the book is rounded off with a conclusion by M.L von Franz, in which she examines the relationship between psyche and matter in light of the experimental discoveries of Quantum physics regarding observer participation.
The sections by Jung and M.L von Franz are the best by far and as such worth reading alone.Of the other sections,although interesting and not technically challenging,they tend to stretch the attention capacity to the point of page counting and they suffer in comparison with the depth of the other two authors who are in a different league.I read this 20 years ago as an introduction to Jung and on re-reading it I can see that many of the concepts still have a resonance, so I'd say that it is a good introduction to Jungian theory, without the arduous task of reading the man himself, which would probably off-putting for many first time readers.
on 21 March 2014
Being a novice in terms of reading psychology I was pleasantly surprised that this book was both enlightening and enjoyable to to read. Jung gives many practical examples of the pervasiveness of psychology and its physical manifestations. It changed the way I perceived life and my inner self. This is definitely a "must read" book and most likely will leave any newcomers to young wanting to read more.