Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2004
My first reaction on finishing this book was that it made me angry - angry at the lack of responsibility those in the Western world (and I include myself) take for those who haven't had it quite so easy. Out of sight, out of mind is a truer statement than I would like, and it is with huge skill and empathy that Rita Golden Gelman opens up areas of the world not usually seen. Her travels take her into the hearts of those she visits, and she shows great respect for all the different cultures she embraces. I highly recommend this book.
on 29 March 2013
This was a really interesting book written by a very adventurous lady. I would never have the courage to just take off and travel as she did, but it was great to read about it. She has travelled to various countries and lived with the indigenous people and taken part in their lives and customs.
on 19 January 2013
I absolutely loved this book. I'm of a similar age to the writer and am considering what next so aside from it being really interesting - an insight into cultures I knew nothing about - it was also inspiring.
on 21 January 2013
Bought this for my daughter for a Christmas present. Item arrived quickly. She loves it and would recommend to all.
on 24 February 2014
I found this a fabulous read :) Rita travels her way, makes friends her way, does things her way and tells it her way. But in doing so has written a book so easy to feel and share, many thanks throughout this book were sent her way for her wonderful descriptions of what matters, and I will definitely be reading her next book....safe happy enriching travels all :)
on 19 August 2013
What a joy Tales of a Female Nomad is. Beautifully written with humour and passion in a way that makes everything come alive One life - live it could have been coined for Rita She lived it and we are lucky enough that she has such a talent with the written word that it felt like we were there with her .An inspiration to us all
on 26 July 2007
What an inspiration this book is. I have a daughter who has to travel around with her husband who is in the American Military - she found this gem and told me to read it. I then told all my friends to read it and we have all been blown away by the courage it took to upsticks and leave a materially comfortable life and the rewards to be reaped if you do.
on 28 March 2015
Brilliant book. I couldn't put it down. Rita you have inspired me to travel solo. Your a very courageous woman. I hope I find the strength too.
on 23 December 2014
A great read, very inspiring - a woman after my own heart.
on 15 November 2010
Rita Golden Gelman hasn't had a permanent address since 1987. Her extraordinary memoir "Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World" is about her nomadic life traveling around the globe.
At age 47 she left an upscale lifestyle when her marriage ended and her kids went to college. Her travels are mostly in developing countries where she lived in the homes of the natives and embraced their customs, culture, lifestyle, language and food.
Tu Aji, an aging prince, decided the education of Rita was his final duty in life when she lived with his family during her eight-year stay in Bali, Indonesia. She says Tu Aji and the Balinese people, known for their deep spirituality, helped her discover her own spirituality and changed the way she looked at the world. She says, "In Bali I have learned to listen to the spirits, the inner one that is part of me and the ones from the other invisible world."
Along with living off and on in the U.S. she's spent time in a Zapotec village in Mexico, Indonesia's Irian Jaya, the forests of Borneo, Guatemala, New Zealand, the Galapagos Islands, Israel, Nicaragua, Thailand and Canada.
Rita says being a wanderer is endlessly fascinating, filled with learning, adventure, interesting people and enlightening experiences. It's also inexpensive. Her fifteen years overseas cost her less than $10,000 a year including airfare. Most important of all she learned to enjoy and savor the present. She says connecting with people is not difficult when you reach out with love, trust, a smile and 100% of your attention.
Rita's stories are a tribute to her courage and our shared humanity. Her passion and her capacity to touch others celebrates the diversity, joy and wonder of cross cultural connecting. Her many tales may well send you off on your own adventure.