5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous grub
My brother's boss bought him a copy, which I nicked. I then bought my parents a copy.... No more is "It's Delia" heard at the dinner table... oh no, "It's Nigel".
This book hugely helped me as a cook. Nigel Slater teaches you cooking - not following a recipe. Indeed, the recipes are very vague in places, stating "a handful" of this, and "a pinch" of that. It's all...
Published on 16 July 2005 by Andrew Millar

3.0 out of 5 stars Appetite
I love Nigel Slater's approach to food and use several of his books on a regular basis, most notably 'Real Food' and 'Real Cooking'. His aim in 'Appetite' is to free readers from the slavish following of recipes, to encourage them to follow their own minds. Unfortunately this is my least favourite of his books. In part I think that this is because (a) I already possess...
Published on 29 Dec. 2010 by Marand

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel Slater is the food lovers' food writer., 13 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Appetite (Hardcover)
Not since Elizabeth David has there been a food writer who conveys the passion, fun, beauty, excitement and joy of food and everything that surrounds it. Appetite is the perfect showcase for Nigel Slaters' refreshingly un-formulaic approach to cooking - if you have ever doubted the impulse to follow your instincts, Slater will give you the blueprint and the confidence to experiment. If you buy only one cookbook for your kitchen (or to read at your leisure)Appetite is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Feb. 2015
Nigel Slater is always amazing, another brilliant book

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing it all together, 9 May 2001
This review is from: Appetite (Hardcover)
Apetite is a most inspiring book, the ideal book to read from cover to cover. It fills in all the small gaps in one's knowledge of food and cookery, and reminds me that I can't just rely on a recipe - I must follow my instincts, TASTE and adjust. It's a very liberating book. I would recommend it to anyone serious about cooking supper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, unpretentious, fun and essential, 21 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
A brilliant book that dispels so much of the mystique of cooking. The author's sheer enthusiasm for the subject shines through. This is by far the best book for a beginner or even a person who fancies themselves as a cook. Simply fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 5 Feb. 2015
Too verbose and not useful for learning to cook

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Jan. 2015
Highly entertaining. Ta anti-recipe book

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB !, 23 Feb. 2015
My fiance loved this for his birthday.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Re-tread of Previous Books, 29 Oct. 2000
Compulsive Cook (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Appetite (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Nigel Slater, ordered Appetite before it was released and anxiously awaited the arrival of my copy. Slater's writing is, as always, delightfully witty and fun to read. As a food writer myself, I remain in awe of how well he captures the role of food in everyday life and as a part of human experience. I read his Observer columns via the Internet every week. I firmly agree with his message in Appetite to improvise and trust our tastes, without slavishly following a recipe. However, after spending several hours with the book I was overcome by a real sense of disappointment. Slater has already said much, if not all, of this before. I know about his sensuous love for bangers and mash--he's told his readers at length about it in his last two books. I've grown tired of the photos of fat glistening chicken, sausages and melted cheese--it's great food styling, but it's the same he's been doing since The Marie Claire Cookbook. The same themes from Real Food and Real Cooking pop up over and over again here. It seems as if this book was dashed off.
While I agree that recipes can be constraining, and I rarely follow them myself, I do like them as a kind of personal discipline. I have my own way of cooking things, and I like to try other cooks' recipes because it gets me out of my own groove. Maybe I wouldn't think to use one ingredient with another, or in a particular proportion, so I appreciate it when someone steers me in a new direction. I also think that recipes impose a certain discipline on the writer because they help ensure the writer is considering another cook's point of view. Is there enough ensure that the reader "gets" how to prepare the dish? Here, while the lack of strict formulas serves a purpose, it also hints at an underlying lack of discipline. Slater doesn't enlighten us with new ways of thinking about food and cooking, as he often does in his Observer columns. I know that Slater has a lot of kitchen wisdom to share in his inimitable writing style, I'm just sorry he didn't give us anything new here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever, 12 Feb. 2011
The most amusing yet sensible cookbook ever printed. Fun to read, full of great ideas, it already has cooking stains on it and I have only had for a couple of weeks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Nov. 2014
A great book. Easy and no fuss.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

Appetite
Appetite by Nigel Slater (Hardcover - Sept. 2002)
Used & New from: £16.45