5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think, just buy. You won't regret it.
Ok, when you first buy Ultimate Japanese, you wonder what you've let yourself in for, it seems to throw you right in at the deep end... Or so you think.
Then as the lesson progresses, it breaks down the complicated dialogue, and in the most basic way, you start learning. Then you realise, this is probably the best language book/cassette combo ever written...
Published on 12 Sep 2001 by atrus@cwcom.net

2.0 out of 5 stars Also disappointed!
Published on 27 Jan 2004 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think, just buy. You won't regret it., 12 Sep 2001
atrus@cwcom.net (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Ultimate Basic (Living Language Series) (Audio Cassette)
Contrary to popular belief, Japanese is not the most difficult language in the world to learn. There is no future tense, there are no male and female verbs and adverbs, as langauages such as French and German feature. I've got a GCSE Grade D in German, but I'm not struggling at all with Japanese, it really is quite a logical language.
The book also features many cultural references about Japan, so not only do you learn the language, but you learn the customs too.
For your money you get to read, write and speak Japanese fluently...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best in Japanese teaching., 26 May 2001
By A Customer
I bought this language set about two months before I went to Japan on holiday. By the time I arrived there I was already confident enough to ask for things in shops and converse reasonably proficently with the Japanese people.
The handbook was very good. It was laid out clearly and was full of helpful pointers. It taught me not only the right words to use but how to use them. Grammar is veyr important when trying to be understood. It also gives useful phrases. All of this together makes for a very helpful book to own.
It is possible to find cheaper books but they won't be in as much depth or of such a high quality as Ultimate Japanese.
The tapes were extremely useful as I could listen to them in the car and on my walkman. The tapes greatly assisted my learing because I could hear exactly how to pronounce the words, something that it is difficult to get from a book.
Overall this is fantastic way to learn Japanese. The only down side is the price however if you want the very best in Japanese teaching you are going to have to pay for it. If the price is a huge barrier for you then the handbook is available seperatly but I would advise you ,if you are serious about learning a new language, to buy the whole set.
It is the very best as I am sure you will see if you buy it. This really is the Ultimate way to learn Japanese!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant guide for learning Japanese!, 12 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This is the best guide ever!
The book at first seems complicated, but then when you look at the 1st lesson in depth, you realise how detailed yet simple it is. It starts off with a dialogue, and then explains a small part of the language, such as particles. There is also a part to teach you the different characters. The first lesson introduces you to the 5 vowels.
At the end, you get a cultural lesson too!
All this makes it both a brilliant guide, and also a fun way to learn Japanese!

2.0 out of 5 stars Also disappointed!, 27 Jan 2004
I was also disppointed with this book. After opening it ans seeing the 8 CD's I was really impressed, but after getting through 5 lessons, I still feel I can't speak a word! There are far too few exercises, and if you haven't got a language partner, you won't learn Japanese on this alone. Other negative points, (let's be negative, shall we?) are: 4 of the 8 CD's are supplementary, but they use vocab not yet introduced, leaving you frustrated if you don't understand. The vocab is neither arranged alpabetically nor in the order you meet it in the text, which is annoying when you want to understand what you are reading. The book uses roman text throughout, but 'teaches' you the kanji by giving you table, which you are expected to learn by rote. There is no motivation to do this, as there are no exercises in Kanji. Finally, it leaps into the grammar, without telling you any of the basic phrases just to get you going, like "how much is that?", "what is your name?" etc. Overall, I'm disappointed, and if I am going to continue, I might end up buying another book to supplement this.

Japanese Ultimate Basic (Living Language Series)
Japanese Ultimate Basic (Living Language Series) by Hiroko Storm (Audio Cassette - 28 Jun 2001)
Used & New from: 74.16