5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to prepare, hard to resist

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Published on 12 April 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to prepare, hard to resist, 16 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
After making just three recipes from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook -- the Outrageous Brownies, the Fresh Corn Salad, and the Parmesan Smashed Potatoes -- I know I can trust the recipes in this delightfully designed, gloriously photographed paean to good cooking. Co-workers and friends could not stop enthusing about the brownies, which many claimed were the best brownies they'd ever tasted, and dinner guests went back for three helpings of the potatoes. As some have pointed out, this is NOT low-fat cuisine -- but neither is a Big Mac and an order of fries, which would leave one infinitely less satisfied than the dishes here. So, when taste is your primary concern, trust this invaluable resource from Ina Garten -- I know I will for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars enticing entertaining and simple, 8 April 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook was entertaining to read cover to cover. It was easy to read in an hour, and I often caught myself mentally planning to use several recipes and ideas. The side notes are very helpful in making the recipes successful and simple. Most recipes were ones that I would use for special family events and for entertaining. The best cookbook that I've read that includes detailed descriptions in parenthesis with the ingredients listed in the recipe. I enjoyed the forward by Martha Stewart and the intro from Ina Garten. The photos were vivid and personable. The sources are listed for specialty foods also. If you like to cook simple specialty dishes for family or friends, this is a cookbook to read and use. Ina Garten's book is not just your ordinary cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars "one of THE best!", 4 July 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
The joy I have experienced in reading The Barefoot Contessa's cookbook is truly fantastic. I love the way it is formatted, the photographs, which I consider a necessity and the variety of recipes. One of the first things I tried, was the coconut cupcakes and the salmon salad.....both hard to beat and I highly recommend them.!!!! Add this book to your collection...its truly not to be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 12 April 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love the layout of this book but I have made three recipes out of this book already and had problems with two. The pan-fried onion dip was delicious but extremely heavy. The coconut cupcakes were good but cut the frosting recipe in half and the sun dried tomato dip does not need the extra salt. I also feel the this book was too expensive for the amount of recipes you get. Visually stunning, but wait until it goes on sale to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Acclaimed Cookbook, 2 Oct 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Kindle Edition)
I have been an Ina Garten fan since I saw her first cooking show on PBS. She then moved to Food Network, and her cookbooks have become very well read. This was over twenty years ago, and I own every cookbook she has written. Some of her recipes are updated, using a little different ingredient, like her famous brownies! However, everything I have made from her cookbook is delicious!

Garten started with her own cooking and baking store in the Hamptons. As soon as she became famous the store became too much work and she had the television shows and cookbooks. However, people still remember her dishes. Her Indonesian Ginger Chicken is one item requested over and over. That recipe is contained in this cookbook.

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook has more than 160 photographs that match the recipes in this book. The Pan-Fried Onion Dip has come back into fashion with carmalized onions and sour cream. Tomato soup is created from oven-roasted tomatoes and fresh basil to intensify the flavors. The meatloaf could be healthier if you make it with ground turkey, but ground turkey is an anathema to me. Her brownies are to die for, which ever recipe of hers that you use.

I have learned from Ina Garten teaches how to entertain with style. She gives us anecdotes and suggestions for giving cocktail parties. And, accompanying these suggestions are recipes and pictures. These are mouth watering and taste as good as they look.

There is not a down aspect of this cookbook except you can't make all the recipes at the same time.

Recommended. prisrob 10-02-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant and interesting cookbook., 8 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
The visual presentation is wonderful. I tried the sun-dried tomato dip(using low-fat whipped cream cheese), and the hummus as a dip. It's 3 days after the party and I am still getting thank you's from people who attended the party. So - Thank you Ina. Can't wait to out the rest of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite cookbook, 13 July 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
What a beautiful cookbook. I love the photos as much as the recipes. I have only had it for a week but it is fast becoming my favourite. Last night I made the roasted eggplant dip and let me tell you the smell whilst it is cooking is sublime and the taste matches it. I have tried the beef bougonone (spelling?) and that too is to die for. My boyfriend wants to marry me he's so impressed with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INDISPENSABLE KITCHEN REFERENCE, 10 Nov 2006
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
For those who haven't had the pleasure of shopping at Ina Garten's specialty food store in the Hamptons The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook delivers - literally. Some 160 gorgeous photos plus Ina's favorite recipes fill the 252 pages of this indispensable kitchen reference.

As Martha Stewart writes in her Foreword, Ina is unique. "There is a freshness in cooking, a total lack of finickiness, a reliance on the freshest and best, and a casualness that I know will be appealing to everyone who uses her book." How true!

Ina stresses freshness, noting that after several weeks in Provence where she found radishes and carrots with "soil still clinging to them," she determined to base her cooking on ingredients from local sources. A lesson for us all.

Hosting a cocktail party, she decided, was not much fun if she spent all of her time running back and forth to the kitchen to get hot hors d'oeuvres out of the oven. So, she does everything possible to be sure that she does not leave the room. For instance, she has a table with all the drink fixings on it, and appetizers that can be served at room temperature so everything is either out or ready to pass when the first guest arrives. Thus we find common sense and uncommonly good appetizers from Roasted Eggplant spread to Guacamole to Smoked Salmon Sandwiches.

Her soups are splendid, most of them starting with sauteed onions "to give a sweet, rich flavor to the stock." Parker's Split Pea Soup, which Steven Spielberg said tasted just like his mother's, is rich, hearty and beautifully presented topped either with toasted croutons or diced smoked ham.

The joy Ina finds in cooking is evident in all of her dishes. She's a cook who makes simple food very, very special.

Highly recommended.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY STUNNING, LOVELY BOOK, 16 April 1999
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
Clearly the best cookbook in a very long time. I tried several recipes (baked ham, grilled lemon chicken, coconut cupcakes, scones, and spinach pie)...and they all came out perfect. I hope the author Ina Garten is working on the second book because the only drawback is the very limited amount of recipes in the current book. The book is truly a blessing to have in your own kitchen. Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommend, 7 Mar 2014
I received this book as a Christmas present from my husband, as I love watching the Barefoot Contessa on TV. The recipes are easy to follow and the book has lovely photographs with each recipe. As always her recipes are great.
Only comment it the index, it is not that easy to find specific recipes..

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten (Hardcover - 15 Jun 2011)
20.35