4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy, but don't plan your life on it
Outlier is a term used in statistics for a data point that stands out from the rest of the sample and this book is about the outliers of success. Near the beginning of the book the author says "... there is something profoundly wrong with the way we make sense of success." There is always more to success than the magical, in-built brilliance of the successful and that...
Published 14 months ago by Mac McAleer

1.0 out of 5 stars Series of remarkably unremarkable observations
Once I've started a book I don't like to stop short of finishing it but this one required real perseverance to get through.
To be fair, the first two chapters contained the vaguely interesting observations that hockey players born just after the January 1 cutoff day fared better, and the '10,000 hour rule'. However, there is nothing of note which isn't contained in...
Published 22 months ago by Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 13 Nov 2011
M. Wiltshire (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I can't rate this book high enough. It is both interesting and intellectual while still being extremely readable. If you've ever wondered why some people make it to the top and others don't or what role iq vs eq plays in success then don't even question whether to buy this book. Do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Outliers (Paperback)
I loved this book - the combination of summarised research and interviews with the eponymous outliers made it an accessible read. I'll remember the discussions that it triggered with friends and family fondly.

The overall feel of the book is positive; Outliers puts the great successes that we all aspire to in context and shows that being the best you can be in your place and time is an achievement in itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just open your mind, 4 July 2010
A Kid's Review
A fascinating read that results in making the resolution to not make assumptions and be more thoughtful about why things are the way they are. Very accessibly written, I amazed myself by zooming through it in a couple of days - never expected that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like to be convinced, 29 Jun 2010
Mr. Harold Cotton (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This is a remarkably easy read. I am not a quick reader but I had finished this in double-quick time.
The author's examples to support his thesis that however outstanding a person might turn out to be there is always someone or some circustance that has made the success possible.
Where was my fairy godmother when I needed her most?

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing but disappointing, 31 May 2010
This is the third Gladwell book that I have read. I started with "The Tipping Point" which was stimulating and for me quite insightful. I followed that expectantly with "blink" - this never seemed to get anywhere and has left me with little recollection of what it was all about. So I had hopes for better things with "Outliers" - the subject matter sounded interesting "Stories of Success" (whilst choosing to overlook some less than glowing reviews here.

I have had the luxury of some quiet reading time this morning and completed the reading journey. The route was interesting: descriptions of all sorts of individual successes with careful analysis of possible cause and effect. I moved towards the concluding chapter with anticipation of it all coming together - it didn't, instead I got the Gladwell family history and was left stranded wondering what I had learned which I could somehow translate into new insight into the world around me, perhaps some clues as to how to make use of the examples to change my behaviour, help others perhaps even myself.

I've rated the book "OK" because there is interesting historical and cultural insight and analysis, but I'm left hugely disappointed at the absence of meaningful (or perhaps applicable) conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 7 Mar 2010
N. Dagli (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Another good book from Malcolm Gladwell. If you like his previous books you will not dissappointed with this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 Mar 2010
Ignore the negative reviews, this is pure genius.

Gladwell writes so well, and in such a convincing manner that the theories he puts forward seems so obvious you wonder why you never thought of them yourself. I for one am convinced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 28 Feb 2010
This is an amazing book! It's a real eye opener, with some great gems that can be applied to your own life. It's a real page-turner too, and one that I would go back to time and time again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., 3 Feb 2010
Marcin Floryan "mfloryan" (Newark, UK) - See all my reviews
A fantastic read - very interesting and challenging - well written and a pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 16 Nov 2009
Mr. Benjamin Levy (UK) - See all my reviews
Really thoughtful and lively book- this was a gripping and informative read.
The chapter on the effect of birth dates on success was particularly revelatory.
Highly recommended!

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (Library Binding - 7 Jun 2011)
Used & New from: £18.10