4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy, but don't plan your life on it
Outlier is a term used in statistics for a data point that stands out from the rest of the sample and this book is about the outliers of success. Near the beginning of the book the author says "... there is something profoundly wrong with the way we make sense of success." There is always more to success than the magical, in-built brilliance of the successful and that...
Published 21 months ago by Mac McAleer

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty. But, can it fight?
Perhaps the main problem with the book is its use of the word 'outliers' to refer to exceptional people, individuals who achieve so much more than others. It should instead refer to the exceptional circumstances that allowed them their meteoric rise to success. These factors - such as year and era of birth, family background, race and place of education - contain the...
Published on 7 Jan. 2011 by Allen Baird

‹ Previous | 121 22 2331 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite live up to expectations, 20 Dec. 2008
S. Gale "Stephen Gale" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a great fan of Malcolm Gladwell and had high expectations of this book having read both Blink and The Tipping Point. However, this book isn't quite in the same league.

The point his is making is made very well (that success is as much to do with being born in the right place at the right time - it is about riding a wave) and the case put forward is compelling enough. However, it seems that the book presents the same line of thought through many different examples. For me, the thinking didn't seem to evolve through the book - once you got the idea, it didn't really evolve. I was expecting so much more.

I found Part 1 a little bit slow and repetitive, but things definitely picked up in Part 2. I was particularly taken with the chapter on Power Distance Index and it's impact on cross cultural communication.

All in all, it was interesting reading and I like Malcolm Gladwell's style - compelling and accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and absorbing read, 8 July 2009
Max (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this a fascinating book, well-written and well-argued. I'm not a sociologist so can't comment on the science, but it's a great read! Unlike one of the other commenters, I don't think it's a problem that the book isn't about the practical applications of the findings in it. It's not setting out to be a self-help book but rather an exploration of what makes "special" people special. It concludes that "geniuses" are as much a product of their cultural heritage and upbringing as their genes. (In several places genetics are referred to, so I don't think they're entirely ignored, as other commenters have suggested. Many of the case studies are looking at a group of very bright people and then picking out the members of THAT group who excelled and asking what makes them different to their just-as-able peers.)

Highly recommended - it will certainly make you think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 30 Aug. 2009
A brilliant read. Fast and informative. On the downside, I now wonder if I missed the boat!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2014
Would highly recommend this book because it really gets you thinking about life and success

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly style and simply brilliant, buying copies for friends!, 4 Feb. 2010
Mrs. Fiona Wilton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
What I really love about this book is the way Malcolm Gladwell 'speaks' to the reader. I feel like he's there right with me as a friend explaining something to me during a conversation. He's great. Also of course what he has to say is fascinating too and backed up with interesting examples. I felt relieved (yet also disappointed) that he hadnt added a whole self-help type chapter or anything to the book (i.e if you find yourself in X situation then try these 3 solutions) as that would have reduced his credibility. Yet BECAUSE his credibility and friendly approach is so engaging I felt I would have trusted him to give me advice!?! An excellent read - some really persuasive stuff - great topics and theories to spark debates amongst friends and colleagues!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Aug. 2014
Brought to read as part of personal statement, bit of a slow start but very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outliers: Malcom Gladwell, 19 Mar. 2009
Mr. H. Burgess "The Business Mentor" (Forkhill, Newry, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Great insights into what you have to do to become a master or to improve your game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, credible, stimulating, 11 Jan. 2009
A. Lawton (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
As in The Tipping Point and Blink, the premise of Outliers is quite simple: talent is not enough to ensure success in any field. You have to put the work in and be able to recognise and take advantage of opportunities that come your way. I can see how such factors have affected me and people I know or have known. It got me thinking and gave me an alternative perspective on the 'what could I have been' debate.

Malcolm Gladwell is not a social scientist and doesn't pretend to be. He is a social commentator whose style of writing is enjoyable; it has a pace and energy that is all-too-often lacking from non-fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not too, 11 July 2014
Good but not up there with 'sporting gene' or 'bounce' but still a good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read though, I wasn't bored...., 16 Sept. 2014
Liked this a lot, but then I'm a chronic underachiever so I probably would.

‹ Previous | 121 22 2331 | Next ›

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (Library Binding - 7 Jun. 2011)
Used & New from: £39.76