4.0 out of 5 stars winter is coming at a glacial pace
It's been quite the wait for the latest installment of G.R.R.Martin's (GRRM) A Song of Ice and fire series and during the wait there have been some very impressive new additions to the fantasy field (Abercrombie, Bakker, Lynch and Abraham). So I was interested to see whether the quality still holds up with the new competition. The first thing I have to say is that, yes it...
Published on 14 Aug 2011 by Neil J. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars Intricate, but Underwhelming.
ADWD was a loooong time in the waiting, and since the previous book was a character-driven travelogue, it was generally believed that this would make up for it with plenty of action and plot resolution. Not so. This, like A Feast For Crows, is 1000 pages of scenic character study.

The characters travel about, and have immense conversations with other people...
Published on 17 July 2011 by Elspeth Flashman

5.0 out of 5 stars Well recommended, 25 Jan 2012
I have enjoyed this series so much. I admit the TV series set me off to start reading them. Im usually a biography and history fan but these have re awaken my enjoyment of fantasy and fiction

4.0 out of 5 stars the final chapter, or not???, 26 Sep 2011
i thought this book would conclude all the characters journeys but it unravels even more. i think these stories may run on for years but they are becoming a bit long winded now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but can be better, 4 Sep 2011
Well... after six years the new "A Song of Ice and Fire" as come out. "A Dance with Dragons" is the fifth book in this saga (and second in length) and due to its very late release (at first, George R. R. Martin predicted the release to 2006, so it is five years late) a lot of excitement and frustration was always hanging in the air.

In this tome of 1000+ pages, we follow all the other characters we didn't in "A Feast for Crows", that is until a certain time when all the points of view are present. This novel, much like its counterpart, is slow paced, taking more than enough time to expose ideas and prepare the possible outcomes. That doesn't means nothing happens, in fact you can start to see the story moving on at a slightly faster pace than in its predecessor.

What can I write about the story? Well, it all starts after "A Storm of Swords" and due to the division of characters there are a few chapters of contact with "A Feast for Crows", similar in most aspects but told by different characters. Besides that, there's not much to write, just enjoy the landscapes, get surprised by people and their acts and be horrified by the Free Cities. And all that told by Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Melisandre, Davos, Arya, new characters and others.

In conclusion, this novel is not very different from its predecessor, even if a bit faster and more contentful. It stays basically in the same molds (in the mode of procrastination), however it is far more enjoyable because we get to see the Wall and Beyond the Wall and the Free Cities, the more exotic parts of the story.

As in all books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", "A Dance with Dragons" depicts Martin's engaging and fresh prose, making everything better.

Recommend, because I know if you enjoyed the previous books you will like this big sample of fiction.

Till next time,
M.I.T.H. (ManInsideTheHelm)

4.0 out of 5 stars I will keep reading!, 2 Sep 2011
Because the author took so long in bringing this out, I felt I had to read the others all over again 'Big Mistake'. These books are just too long to read them all in one go. I find that G. Martin is much like Robert Jordan in the way that he almost bogs you down in the sheer amount of detail he uses. That being said, I love his characters and I love the story, I still get shocked whenever he kills someone off that I have got invested in.

I found book 5 to be quite a good read and maybe the best in the series so far, I like the way that all parties seem to be making progress towards a point where a decisive turn will happen and in my opinion the ending to book 5 holds the biggest twist in the series so far.

I can't wait another 4 years for the next chapter in the series. Hurry up George!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling book, 13 Aug 2011
I could not wait for the french translation of this book (2014 to get it entirely is too long), so I bought it on this site. At first, I'd like to say that it was a perfect transaction, the book was well-packed and the shipping really fast.
Then, it was a real pleasure to read it in the original form : the text is clear, without any difficulties of understanding. I was delighted to meet Tyrion, Jon or Daenerys again through my reading (I missed them in the previous book). The plot is still brilliantly written, the cliffhangers astonishing. When I finished it, I just wanted one thing : more !

Edit : I have to add something to my previous commentary : I started reading ASOIAF only in summer 2011, so I didn't have to wait six years to read it. As a result, I didn't feel tired of the story, I enjoyed it as much as the other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dance with Dragons, 8 Aug 2011
Jerry McIntire (Indianapolis, IN, US) - See all my reviews
Very poor packing or protection for a 1st edition book being sent to a overseas collector. If I have to pay a little more too properly protect my investment then you should offer this option, not charge me more for faster shipping and package it the same inadequate way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Few dragons, and some slow, but intricate dancing, 25 July 2011
I consciously tempered my expectations for this much-anticipated novel, and I am glad I did. The writing had been on the wall with the relative letdown of A Feast for Crows, like some red comet blazing through the sky of an overly convoluted plot with too many storylines and new POV characters. Unfortunately, A Dance with Dragons follows the same, ponderous tune.

As willing as GRRM is to kill off some major POV-characters, he keeps adding new characters and brings back some of those presumed dead. Unfortunately, many of these new characters could not capture me as the original ones could. So the return of Theon was a nice surprise. Of course, Tyrion is truly brilliant, and his chapters were by far the best and showed some satisfying character development. Otherwise, I couldn't connect with many others, as previous favorites Jon Snow and Daenerys managed to annoy me.

There is plenty of good as well. The worldbuilding is incredibly intricate and detailed, and extremely well worked out. This series is Epic with a capital E. The same goes for the characters. Like them or not, but they are consistent and life-like, with their good and bad traits and believable motivations. It's too bad that the pacing of a Dance with Dragons is slow, often marred by too-detailed description of food and lacking in action. A pity, even though you can sense the set-up for a phenomenal finish. If GRRM can untangle all these storylines and wrap them up in my lifetime.

If I had to liken A Dance with Dragons to one of GRRM's characters, it would be Wyman Manderly, Lord of White Harbor. Huge, slow and ponderous, with plenty of excess fat, but also with some surprising twists of cunning and courage, despite a lack of action.

With all my misgivings, GRRM is still one of the best epic fantasy writers out there, and even a novel below his usual standard is still a novel worth reading. I would give three and half stars if I could, but I will give four in the end, just because I know part of my disappointment was due to expectations that could not be tempered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a grip folks, 23 Sep 2011
This is part of a series - and a major one at that. So please folks enjoy this part of the wonderful (but sometimes flawed) saga that has sometimes included our favourites (Tyrion, Arya, Danya, etc) but made some new friends as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be savoured and taken slowly.., 17 Aug 2011
D. Nelson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is about the quality of the writing rather than a fast pace. In that way, this and its sister book are different from the first three books. Read it chapter by chapter and youll enjoy it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADWD : great book, 16 Aug 2011
After 6 long years, finally, ADWD was released!
And it's really worth this long expectation.
You can believe me since I read with pleasure all these 1000 pages in english though i'm French, and not clearly fluent.
To be frank, i even plan to buy for the 4 first books in english too, like this one A Game of Thrones: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Don't hesitate to buy it, if you already know these books.

A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Library Binding - 29 Oct 2013)
11.45