5.0 out of 5 stars What Alice Forgot
When Alice Love wakes up on the floor of her gym, the last thing she expects is to be told she's a 39-year-old mother of three in the middle of a divorce, particularly since Alice thinks she's 29-years-old, happily married and pregnant with her first child. It appears that Alice has had a large bump on the head and has lost the last ten years of her life. As Alice comes...
Published on 28 May 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
Ok book but it doesnt really go anywhere - kept thinking Alice was going to remember some great mysterious memory - and it just didnt really happen. Also I thought the grandmas blogs were unneccessary and added nothing to the story.

After reading the husbands secret, which was an excellent read - so much better - by this author I was quite disappointed.
Published 16 months ago by princess831

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster of a book - loved it!, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
Alice Love is happily married to Nick. They've just bought a house, which they are slowly transforming into their dream home, and are expecting their first child.

But then Alice wakes up on the floor of the gym after falling and banging her head during a class. Ten years have passed but Alice can't remember a single thing since 1998. Alice is now a 39-year-old mum of three and rather than being head over heels in love, her husband despises her.

Alice returns home, to the now completed house and the three children she has no recollection of giving birth to and attempts to piece together the last ten years of her life.

I was looking forward to reading What Alice Forgot after reading The Husband's Secret last year but I wasn't prepared to love the book quite as much as I did. I was hooked from the start and really couldn't put it down as it dawned on Alice just how much her life had changed over the last decade. I felt for Alice as she was thrust into motherhood and struggled to come to terms with the state of her marriage. Not only had she forgotten the birth of her children but every single memory of them since and she didn't even have Nick to lean on as he seemingly doesn't even like Alice, never mind love her.

As well as Alice, we get to know her sister, Elisabeth. Alice and Elisabeth were once close but there is a definite gulf between them now. Elisabeth has her own struggles in life, which she chronicles in a sort of diary, and my heart went out to her as she pored her fears and feelings onto the page.

What Alice Forgot is a rollercoaster of a book, with funny moments alongside more heart-wrenching and poignant ones. I warmed to the characters immediately and devoured the pages to find out what would happen next - as well as what had happened in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
Second book I have read by this author, always keeps you guessing. A page turner you can't put down.
Brilliant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
This book is all about Alice a mother of three who following an accident loses part of her memory and believes she is 10 years younger, happily married and pregnant with her first child. So much has changed in the 10 missing years and Alice has to accept that life is very different now. You may not like the older Alice very much but as the book progresses you begin to understand her point of view and you will love the younger Alice. I have loved reading this book and feel sad that it's come to an end!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Alice Forgot, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
A great page turner that will keep you gripped and wanting to read more from this author. Unlike the majority of books that you cannot put down, you will not be disappointed by the ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Paperback)
This is the second Liane Moriarty book I have read and I really enjoyed it. Really easy to read but more thought provoking than the usual chick lit. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars was becuase I just did not get the point of Frannie's blog. It just seemed out of place in the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the story very much, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the story very much. It was clever to use the blog and the homework for the psychiatrist to fill in parts of the story. Also, at first I wondered about the ten year gap in the memory coinciding with Alice's first pregnancy. But I am left now thinking that she had gone back to a period when she did not have her children to make herself feel the same as her sister who had continually failed to conceive/have miscarriages. It was clever to run the two stories side by side. At the same time I felt the story was a little unreal so did not award 5 stars. but I was glad about the happy ending - where we were kept guessing for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars An "in between" option., 20 Jan. 2015
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
A bit of a disappointment, but Liane Moriarty is an excellent storyteller, so it was not a torture to read. It's just I expected a bit more from "What Alice Forgot" after reading (and enjoying quite a bit) "The Husband's Secret".

"What Alice Forgot" felt too long, slow-paced, not really engaging, not that funny and a bit repetitive. The great mystery of "the other woman" was not what I expected, but it did not really matter in the end. I was just glad the book finished.

It's a standard three-star book for me. Perhaps not the most engaging and thrilling, but a good "in between" the books read - easy to forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Paperback)
The author perfectly captures the difference between being 29 and 39. As well as being an entertaining page-turner, the writing is so good you don't even notice it, and the convincing characters keep you immersed. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perceiving the world differently, 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Paperback)
How would you feel if you woke up one morning having forgotten everything that's happened in the past ten years and believing it's September 2000? What do you think the person you were ten years ago would say about your life today?

It's an interesting thought and exactly what happens in "What Alice Forgot" by Australian author, Liane Moriarty. The story begins as Alice loses consciousness after falling and banging her head in an aerobic step class.

As she wakes up, it soon becomes clear that her memory of the past ten years has been completely erased. Worse still, she discovers that, instead of being a happy 29 year old, newly married and expecting her first baby, she is now approaching 40, recently separated from her much-loved husband, with three children she doesn't know and a busy structured lifestyle.

As she tries to make sense of the way her life has turned out, she is forced to take a good look at herself, accept her part in what's happened and re-evaluate what she wants in her life.

It's an interesting story viewed not only through Alice's eyes but interspersed with extracts from her older sister's journal as well as a personal blog written by an elderly family friend, each offering a very different viewpoint. It reminded me how powerful our perceptions can be and how the quality of our relationships so often depends on our ability to stay open-minded, non-judgmental, willing to see another's point of view, yet still honest with ourselves about how we feel too.

It's often said that our perceptions are the lens through which we see the world. When Alice's memory does return, she finds she is able to "twist the lens on her life and see it from two entirely different perspectives", a younger more innocent self with a simple outlook on life, undistorted by painful memories, and an older wiser self who has grown in confidence and self-belief but become more cynical with age.

What I enjoyed about Alice's story is the way her life and her relationships improve when she perceives them differently. It's so true that we can never change another person however much they annoy us or cause us pain. Yet by changing our attitude towards them and adjusting the lens on our life, we can often change the dynamics of our relationships completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Alice Forgot - great book, 24 Jan. 2015
Linby "linby" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
I’ve never read any Liane Moriarty books, but based on this one – I will be reading more in the future.
The premise of the book is that Alice has bumped her head aged 39, when she comes around she thinks she’s pregnant and aged 29.
For some reason I couldn’t get into my head that the book was set in Australia. The first reference being to the number to call for emergency services, but time and again I thought it was set in the USA, until the next reference popped up. I’m probably just so used to reading a lot of books set in the USA.
What intrigued me most about this book is how the 29 year old Alice became the one everyone knew and seemed to hate in today’s world. How people had changed beyond recognition to her and that her own Mother was now married to her now ex-Father in law. There were also some great moments where Alice does not know about modern technology - what a “text” is for instance. At first I thought this was odd as it was only ten years ago, then I realised that the author had not set the book 10 years back from today.
One of the author’s devices for the dialogue was to use a blog written by Alice’s “Grandmother” which added a different and hilarious dimension to the book.
The other device used was to have a sub-story by Alice’s sister told through her “therapy” diary. This part of the book was actually quite sad, especially when Alice doesn’t remember what her sister has been through over the past 10 years. In fact I would say that this forms about half of the dialogue of the book and is far from a sub-story, touching on some very real issues.
Finally – imagine not remembering you had given birth to 3 children and not even knowing their names – a great plot for a book and one that will stay with me for some time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty (Library Binding - 24 April 2012)