5.0 out of 5 stars Will the real Stephen King please stand up?, 1 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (Library Binding)
This was money well spent. This book is more than the title implies. First it is a selected biography of Stephen King. I enjoyed the poison ivy episode. This is not a deviation but an explanation of why he writes the way he does and the background that he draws on. Secondly this is a "how to write like Stephen King" book it reflects his likes and dislikes. I agree with most of them. I suppose that that is why I like his novels.

However I can only guess that he must spend a lot of time around people that cuss. It is not like he is not aware of it. I feel that he is somewhat proud of the fact that he cusses a lot. Luckily he said it is not necessity to be excessive.

I share his dislike for flashbacks. And he also expresses several dislikes for other stilting crutches, including excessive description of Back-story.
An added bonus is his description of the van accident that a certain comedian commented about saying that Stephen lost his Tommyknockers. Stephen forgot to mention that he bought the van that hit him for destruction purposes. Talk about revenge.

Over all after reading this I was compelled to try my hand at writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully educating and interesting., 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (Library Binding)
Exceptional and honest memoir of King's own life along with his insights into how to write. I was entranced by his stories of growing up as he provided a recollection of select memories that formed his characters and self aspirations. The second half of the book consists of a break down of how you would approach writing a novel, which was very insightful as I am a young aspiring writer. His honesty is a breath of fresh air, humorous and wonderfully clear. I would recommend any fans of Stephen King's work to take the time to learn about the author and feel drawn into his world as he speaks to you outright. I was unable to put the book down until I finished it, worth staying up for.

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (Library Binding - 6 July 2010)
16.81