5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment for all the family, 13 Dec. 2009
XtineGilly (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Not only is this series of books one of the most loved in our household - by my three boys as well as my husband and I; it has one of the best readers too so we can listen to it in the car as well as bed time stories. On long trips in the car it has all of us entralled and the boys are quiet for hours. You will not regret buying these Cd's - David Tennent is superb. If you have not read any of the other books in the series I would recommend that you start from the beginning with 'How to Train Your Dragon'. Although they are stand alone stories you get a better feel for the characters if you know the history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series of books, 24 May 2010
My ten-year old son loves the books. I've read a couple and find them well-written and amusing. The stories are fast-paced, exciting and have lots of cliff-hangers. The central character is Hiccup, an unlikely boy hero who owns a dragon called Toothless. Toothless is even more of an unlikely hero but somehow the two of them, through a combination of brains and luck, always triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment for all, 24 Aug. 2009
These are very funny stories with great boy humour - silly names and fighting! My son loves listening to these stories in the car - as do both parents. In fact we don't want to get out of the car. David Tennant reads them so well. I've bought copies for birthday presents for all my son's friends - great for the 7-9 year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant audio cd, 16 Aug. 2009
G. Noakes (England) - See all my reviews
Once again a brilliant audio book in the Hiccup series, brilliantly read by David Tennant. I would recommend this to any Hiccup or David Tennant fan. Great to listen to in the car, makes any long journey much more enjoyable. Great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 18 Jun. 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The summer has been unnaturally warm at the Isle of Berk, but despite persistent Omens of Doom, the worst of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III's worries is to not make a complete fool of himself during the Pirate Training Program. Throw in Toothless, Hiccup's disobedient dragon who has a knack for trouble, and his evil cousin, Snotface Snoutlout, and you have a recipe for almost certain disaster.

However, things change from embarrassingly to deadly in a snap. During a Reindeer Herding Lesson, the entire class nearly perishes in a freak forest fire. It turns out that the volcano is becoming active and thousands of vicious dragons called Exterminators are hatching from the heat.

Hiccup and his best friend, Fishlegs, don't look like hero material. They are both eleven years old and the scrawniest boys in their Viking class. But through some luck and clever sleuthing, they uncover why the volcano is erupting and how to stop it.

Once again, it all boils down to Hiccup to throw together a quest and save the day.

Cressida Cowell's fifth story in THE HEROIC MISADVENTURES OF HICCUP HORRENDOUS HADDOCK III, HOW TO TWIST A DRAGON'S TALE, is a hilarious and fun read. Her Vikings, while unhygienic and violent, sing in perfect harmony. Almost every page is illustrated with black and white drawings or pithy song lyrics.

This book is an odd combination of the strange and the familiar. Readers will encounter dragons of all kinds, a bit of magic, a few bullies, and the seriously weird but typical antics of parents.

Reviewed by: Natalie Tsang

5.0 out of 5 stars Best childrens literature in its class, 9 April 2009
If you have a child who is between 4 and 10 who you are reading to this (and all the Hiccup books) is a must. Especially if you are bored senseless reading the rest of the inane drivel that is out there.

The Hiccup series is clever, amusing, engrossing and delightful. I'm currently reading through it for a second time with my 7 year old and enjoying it almost as much as the first time around. He also loves it, btw!

Read them in sequence though as the story does progress. That said they are all good stand-alone books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non stop reading!, 28 Sept. 2007
Y. Melville (Scotland) - See all my reviews
We went to see Cressida Cowell at the Edinburgh Book Festival, and bought a copy there. As we were driving home, my son was already starting to devour the book. We had to take the book out of his hands to get him out of the car when we got home. His request is already in for us to buy him the next book when it comes out When I get a minute I'll be reading How to twist a Dragon's Tale, that is if my husband hasn't started reading it. Our younger son is now starting to read the hiccup books, having listened to the audio versions in the car. Long may Cressida write hiccup books!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to twist a dragon's tale, 22 Dec. 2013
Love love love this series of books.
Cressida Cowell's stories are amazing and my goodness I don't think they could have found anyone better to narrate them than David Tennant! The voices he uses to depict the different characters are all amazing...the only problem I have is that my children expect me to do the same voices...I've gotten pretty good at Gobber!
If you are new to the series I would recommend you start with How to Train Your Dragon otherwise the back story with Alvin (the poor-but-honest-farmer) will be lost on you...I should also like to make you aware that you can get these from your local library at no cost although the 10 pounds you pay here is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to twist a dragon's tale, 6 Dec. 2012
David Cundy (UK) - See all my reviews
This was the fifth Hiccup audiobook we have bought - to play in the car to our 7 year old grandson on our fortnightly 3 hour journey with him, and it has maintained the excellent standard of the previous ones. Naturally it is brought to life by the wonderful narration of David Tennant and his voice adaption to the various characters. The storyline is equally hilarious and the whole tale is spellbinding for our grandson, his father and us! Thank you author, thank you narrator and thank you Amazon for an amazingly speedy delivery!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to twist a dragon's tale, 9 July 2011
Mrs (Halesworth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wow another fantastic story - and David Tennants reading of it is fab particularly the singing which had us all rolling about in the car - thankfully we were parked!! I have all the audio cd's up to this one and they are all fantastic and we have spent many happy hours in the car listening (twin boys 6 daughter 8) and we all love Hiccup and can not wait for the next one - although I will save that for our holiday! I have also started buying them for friends for birthday presents.

How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon (Pb))
How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon (Pb)) by Cressida Cowell (Library Binding - 25 May 2010)