5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful language
Published on 24 Nov. 2007 by howie

2.0 out of 5 stars yet another series
Published on 25 Sept. 2006 by Sally from Cheadle

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful language, 24 Nov. 2007
If you want your child to read a book that will also help them to become good writers, look no further! This book is enchanting. As a teacher it is so refreshing to find a book that is full to the brim of beautiful descriptive language! Another reviewer observed that it was 'more like watching than reading' and how true that is. Wonderful as the Potter books are, this book rejoices in scenes and characters described in such detail that you feel as if you are standing right in the story! I would thoroughly recommend this book and can't imagine how I have managed to miss it thus far! BUY IT - especially all you primary teachers out there looking for good writing models to use with pupils!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great adventure to read at bedtime, 26 Feb. 2010
A Kid's Review
My dad helped me choose this at the library because the cover looked like the Spiderwick chronicles. I found the first chapter a bit hard to understand but soon I was hooked. I read this at bedtime to my dad who began to enjoy it as much as me and we finished it together loving every bit. We are now hooked on the series and will buy the other two books. An exciting story from a writer with a fantastic imagination. Millie 71/2 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE WANT MORE!!!, 23 Sept. 2006
While looking for a book for my 7year old grandson, I was initally drawn to this book by the wonderful cover, however I think I have discovered a brilliant new writer!!!My grandson adored the book and can't wait for the next one, and even though this book is for children I thoroughly enjoyed the adventures also. A well deserved 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 April 2010
Mr. K. Levack - See all my reviews
Excellent book for descriptive language, ideal text for Year 6 to study. Suitable for the higher ability readers, but could be used for whole class reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 1 Nov. 2010
Love, love, love this book. So beautifully written I would have carried on reading it for myself even if my boys didn't like it. Fortunately they loved it too and we are now about to start the second in the trilogy. Brilliant bedtime reading for all ages.
The Palace of Laughter (Circus Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply A Great Book, 11 Sept. 2006
Daniel Lynch (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book recently for my 10 year old.

Within one week all six members of the household (including Mum and Dad)had read it completely. Very well written (almost like watching rather than reading) and interesting from start to finish. We buy a lot of kids books in our house and this is definately the best we have read in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bouncing off the walls!!!, 3 Sept. 2006
J. Mclaren (Leatherhead, Surrey) - See all my reviews
We were driving ourselves crazy at home - counting the days until the kids went back to school - when this little bundle arrived through the post from my old aunt in the US.

How she ended up with a copy is a long story (a friend of a friend of a lady in the village near by...) but we can only say we are grateful for the random coincidences of life. This book had our two (George 10 and Joe 8) enthralled - the highlight of the summer holidays (although they squabbled over who would read it first.. age inevitably won the day). And then the parents even got to read it.

An orphan, Miles Wednesday, is living peacefully in a barrel on a hillside overlooking his village when a magical circus moves into town. But the place has a sinister side and Miles sets off with the assistance of a wonderfull talking tiger and young angel to save the day...

Maybe I'm getting nostalgic in my old age but this booked evoked fond memories of my childhood adventures (though sadly without the tiger!). It's everything I expected from Harry Potter etc but felt disappointed. The humour and observations on life are fantastic (a new Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett?).

Buy yourself some peace and quiet before the kids head off to school again.

Thanks to author - Jon Berkeley - apparently his first book (hard to believe). We can hardly wait for issue 2. Hope you like it as much as we did...

2.0 out of 5 stars yet another series, 25 Sept. 2006
My 10-year old and I read this book together on a friend's recommendation. She quite enjoyed it, but expressed some dissatisfaction at yet another book 'not really finishing'. (The Secret Country was the last title that elicited this reaction.) It does seem a shame that publishers want to stretch everything out to a series these days. I can see that it makes financial sense, but it's unnecessarily limiting for those children who don't require the comfort of the familiar.

For my own part, I thought the book was moderately well written, but it reminded me at times of Ray Bradbury's far superior Something Wicked This Way Comes (for older readers, admittedly.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Feb. 2015
ok

The Palace of Laughter (Wednesday Tales (Quality))
The Palace of Laughter (Wednesday Tales (Quality)) by Jon Berkeley (Library Binding - Aug. 2007)