5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by R+ fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series.............
From the top of a tree, Pip sees an occupied room in an empty house. Fatty has bought himself a host of new disguises and in addition to pulling a few pranks on Mr Goon, succeeds in getting into the house one night and solving the mystery.
Published on 9 Aug 2010 by Saturnicus

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Sep 2010
The Five Find-Outers series has always been my favourite series of Enid Blyton mystery books. The characters are loads of fun and there's a lot of humour in the books (arguably almost always at the expense of poor Mr Goon). The children in this series are upper-class and aristocratic, like they are in the other Blyton books, with all the character traits that this entails, but they are much less self-important and pompous, and much more fun as people, than the kids in the Secret Seven and the Famous Five books! They are mischievous and able to have a good laugh and their escapades will keep one hooked! Like some of the other readers reviewing here, I read all of them as a child, and managed to buy and finish the whole series within 3 years. These books are extremely addictive and a wonderful read for children 7 to 10 years old. They created a taste for English mystery and crime literature in me (I am foreign and read these books in my own language originally). After these books (which I read at the same time as the secret 7 & famous 5 series) I went directly to reading Sherlock Holmes at 12 and then Agatha Christie later on. I cannot believe people today might bother about the main character's nickname being "Fatty". Apart from the fact that he is actually the coolest of the 5 characters, he is also the one that is the most fun and the cleverest! Without his personality, this series would be just like another secret 7 book with fewer kids... The first book of the series explains how he came to be nicknamed fatty and when I first read that book I remember it felt like a very realistic account of how this sort of thing happens to one. I still have all my original books from childhood and they are very treasured; now I am starting to buy them again for my daughter, in English. "The secret room" is an excellent treat for a child to read during the christmas holidays, but all of the books of the series are just brilliant. They also are kinder to girls and women than, say, the famous five books, where girls are constantly viewed as an endangered species that needs protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book I ever bought, 14 Jun 2008
Mr. S. J. Tennyson (Nara, Japan) - See all my reviews
When I was at junior school, our teacher would read us a chaper from this book every Friday afternoon and I was hooked! I soon bought the hardback (my first book ever) when I was 10 and now have a paperback edition too. I've re-read this book many times. The story of a secret furnished room within an empty house is an excellent read and would recommend it to any preteen readers. If you like this book, try the exciting Famous Five series too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series............., 9 Aug 2010
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There is not the usual interaction between the characters which exists in other books in the series. The story largely involves Fatty. No doubt children will enjoy it, but it is not one of the best and does not compare to the Invisible Thief, the Strange Messages or the Missing Necklace.

4.0 out of 5 stars learn to love to read, 15 Jun 1999
By A Customer
this is the first "real" book i ever read. i was 6 years old and my mother bought it for me. we had just moved to germany, and it was difficult to find english kids books....she found this and gave it to me and i cried because the words were so small and there were so many of them...she told me to try reading it and if i couldn't then she'd take it back....after working my way through the first few pages i was hooked...i'm 34 now and have been asked if i've taken speed-reading courses because i read quickly and with great recall....i thank enid blyton for that...a kid named fatty may not be politically correct, but i thought he was great, and went through as many enid blyton stories as i could find....now i live in the U.S. and you don't see them much here...but when i saw a copy of this book in a used bookstore i bought it...just for the memories of being 6 and learning that reading was one of the great experiences in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is on my list of best books!, 12 Feb 2001
By A Customer
The Mystery of the Secret room is a funny and instresting book that no reader can put down! Enid Blyton put's some of her best writing into it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A weak plot but introduces some important elements of the series, 23 Nov 2012
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
It's the Christmas holiday, and Enid Blyton's Five Find-Outers are back together again and looking out for another mystery to solve, while continuing to wind up the local policeman.

I must confess to being a little disappointed re-reading these as an adult - as a young child they were some of my favourite stories and my favourite of Blyton's works, but now they seem much more simplistic than I remember and the characters' mystery solving seems much more luck than investigatory skill.

That having been said, this is the book where key elements for the rest of the series finally come into place: Fatty takes charge and introduces a variety of detective skills, including invisible writing, and his impressive disguises. This element alone makes up for the rather tame plot which involves incredibly little detection.

For children, obviously the intended audience, the language is mostly appropriate (although my copy does contain one politically incorrect word), and Blyton drops in the occasional less familiar word to expand the reader's vocabulary. The characters are likeable and the humour stands the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mystery So Far, 7 Oct 2008
A Kid's Review
This is one of the best Enid Blyton books I've read so far. I quite liked the disguises with the sticking out teeth!! I also liked the nonsense language. I wanted to keep reading it and was sad when I finished it today, but glad, so I can start on the next mystery!!

The Mystery of the Secret Room (Enid Blyton's Mysteries Series)
Used & New from: £0.01