on 3 August 1999
I am 6 years old and thought this was a very funny book. My brother got me this book for my birthday. I read it all by myself. The part I liked best was when my naughty little sister goes to the fun fair and runs away but her older sister finds her. It made me laugh. She makes a bottle tree and tries to plant it and then her dad helps her afterwards. I think I shold get some more of the books about My Naughty Little Sister. I think that other 6 to 8 year olds would enjoy this book. (My mummy helped me to write this review).
on 10 November 2003
I first read this book as a little girl, my sister then read it, now I have introduced them to my daughter. This is a book for all to enjoy, I recently read a few stories to my daughter and the memories came flooding back. Who can resist someone so deliciously naughty but has had heart of gold on the inside. Go on be transported back to a world of hot buttered toast and piping hot tea, you will love it and so will youre kids!
on 12 May 2011
I never read this book as a child. I am now a Mother of three little ones (7, 5 and baby). Each night I sit with my two older children and we read stories together. I'm always on the lookout for new stories that I can read with my children. I saw this and thought we'd give it a go. The three of us just fell in love with the Naughty Little Sister, and all the characters. Even my 5 year old boy was utterly enchanted. This book is for both sexes, and it's one of the most 'feel good' books of all time. The illustrations are wonderful, and the stories, are just the right length for bed time. Each one is so moving and touching. There were stories, such as when they babysit for a little baby, that had us laughing heartily. Others feeling a little emotional and warm and fuzzy. You never get to find out what the little girls name is, but she's such a sweet little thing, get's into a lot of mischief. But it's not like Horrid Henry, it's nothing malicious or really naughty. I think this is what makes the book so charming, that she's just a normal, lively, but sweet little girl. All the characters are warm and loving.

If you're looking for the perfect bedtime story, that will send your children to bed thinking the world is a wonderful place, then read this.
I'm certain that my children will grow up remembering how good they felt when they read this book. I have no doubts that they, one day, will be fondly reading it to their children. A must for every book shelf.
on 5 November 2008
I sure don't know why this is billed 'for little girls' because my 5 year old son loves it. He loved the stories from age 3 and still loves to listen to them. I have a feeling he associates with the naughty little sister - she's a bit naughty and gets really angry sometimes, but at heart she's a nice kid.

I loved these stories when I was a child and it's great to see that they still appeal. They have a timelessness - just about being a child in a world you don't quite understand always. Not sure how much they would appeal to those very young children who appear to have been brought up on Harry Potter (at 5??) but you never know, it might give them a step back into a gentler, more appropriate place!
on 11 June 2011
I remember purchasing this book from a school book saving scheme way back when I was in reception class. My daughter is 6 and takes this into school to read during the apppointed 10 minute reading sessions. It is a little quaint perhaps but each chapter represents a story in itself and therefore, perfect to ease the transition from story books into a novel. My 3 year old daughter is also enjoying the stories. Great for children who have younger siblings.
on 15 February 2004
my mother use to read these books to me and my older sister.i'm 19 now and remember just how great they are and how they always taught me and my sister a moral lesson every story we read. it always made us feel guilty if we had done something naughty that day!! also the illistrations are bright and colourful and helps the child's imagination adapt to the story more. they're great for bedtime reading!!
on 17 June 2009
Jan Francis is perfect as the narrator of these tales about a little sister who behaves in a way we would all like to have done as children! Written from the viewpoint of her much more serious, easily-shocked older sister, Dorothy Edwards has included the reader / listener in the fun of being aghast at her antics. Despite being written 50 years ago, the stories feel reasonably fresh and still very funny; especially her discription of Father Christmas as "that horrid old man"!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 October 2015
How did I never read this as a child? I'm trying to catch up on classics I someone missed, and this was on the list.

It's a very nostalgic read, but also timeless - small children will always be mischievous, get into scrapes, do naughty and greedy things, and probably after saying sorry, do something similar again.

The narrator's naughty little sister is one such child. Neither is named, which as an adult strikes me as unusual in a children's book. But it does work - it makes them more archetypes than just individual children - there is something of all of us in there.

This little girl is not really 'naughty' as such - she eats all the trifle, yes. Falls in the water, throws workmen's sandwiches around, but she is just a little girl and really more silly and wild than truly 'bad'. I feel sorry for 'Bad Harry' stuck with a name like that! It might be no wonder if they play up to their titles! Seeing her having to go to her big sister's school was possibly my favourite chapter, watching her act grown up and proud, it was very realistic, thinking of my own son.

The misadventures are mostly charming, sweet, and short for bedtime reading. Shirley Hughes as ever manages to convey the sense of the childlike with a sense of time and place in her illustrations.

I loved meeting the characters for the first time, though I'm not sure about all of the messages - after all, children WILL get up to mischief, WILL make mistakes.

Glad I've read this. It may be one I share with my son in the near future.
on 11 May 2016
My children were given these stories with an accompanying cd. They are loved by my 2 and 4 year old girls but I have been pretty horrified by the content of some of the stories. While some are rather sweet, though a little dated, I am very uncomfortable with children being labelled as 'thoroughly bad', 'naughty' and 'greedy' with such finality. In one story the little girl is left with her father - a man who shouts at her for requesting a drink of water before shutting himself in his study, forgetting to give her lunch and not noticing when she leaves the house and walks to the shops alone. I realise these are 'of their time' but I simply cannot bear to read stories which paint children (and parents) in such a negative light. My children are too young to pick up on the (frankly quite subtle) subtext that she is not really such a naughty girl, more a typical curious and mischievous toddler. I think they will have outgrown the stories before they could make this inference anyway. I have 'disappeared' the book and am hoping to delete it from our car very soon. They will be devastated.
My six year old daughter loves this book, which I cannot believe has been in print for over fifty years. I remember reading this myself as a girl and I read my daughter the stories, which I have in a gift book The Complete My Naughty Little Sister Storybook. However, now she can read them alone, she found the large book quite hard to hold and this paperback version is ideal. The print is larger than in most paperbacks, and also well spaced, making it easier for younger children to follow and the illustrations are included. There are fifteen stories in this first volume, which include all sorts of events any small child will understand and relate to - for example, going to a pantomime or a party, making friends and having a wobbly tooth. Delightful, warm and funny, this is a fantastic book of stories to read alone or together and should be on the bookshelf of every child.