5.0 out of 5 stars Among the formative books of my very English childhood.
Published on 18 Feb 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Packaging
I do not need to review Winnie the Pooh he speaks for himself. I was very pleased with the prompt delivery, I had had asked for standard post and it arrived in 3 days. I was however very dissapointed with the poor standard of packaging which consisted of a single bubble bag in which the presentation box was placed, and a few peices of paper loosley placed in the outer...
Published 8 months ago by Grandma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the formative books of my very English childhood., 18 Feb 1998
By A Customer
When I was very small, I was read The House at Pooh Corner, Winnie the Pooh, When We Were Very Small and Now We Are Six by two very old-fashioned aunts who clearly enjoyed them as much as I did. I grew to worship Rabbit and his dry humour, helped by my aunts' similarly subtle and rather understated sense of the ridiculous. Returning to the books as a father some thirty-five years later, I find they're still fresh. While I don't like to suggest that Disney gets it wrong, I should hate for children to get their only notions of the world of Christopher Robin and his toys from the film(s). The books are of a time and a place; 1920's/30's England. Their words were written to be heard or read with an idea of context (cf the audio tapes read by Alan Bennett) With this in mind, it is possible for these books to have a universal appeal. My five-year-old daughter cannot quite get all the, remarkably sophisticated, nuances of A.A. Milne's humour and language, but she laughs in most of the right places just because she enjoys the stories. She keeps on wanting to hear more, and that's strong testimony - and I still find Winnie the Pooh an absolute hoot in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wiinnie the Pooh is for children and adults!!, 26 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I didn't meet Winnie the Pooh until I had children of my own. I enjoyed reading the tales and the poems to my four. My sister and I used to talk to each other in "poohese." To illustrate that these books are for adults, also, when my eldest left home she requested "A Pooh Reading" the last night. She also took the books with her to college and read them after some of the "heavy" required reading she had to do. Now that she is in her forties, she takes the books with her and uses them to teach English -- and to relax after busy days. In fact, I think adults enjoy the books even more than children. Adults understand how true to life the stories are! Especially if their introduction was correct! (Hearing them read by an excellent reader makes all the difference! I feel sorry for anyone who has missed that!) And when I was a Weight Watcher lecturer, I used "Chapter 2 In Which Pooh Goes Visiting and Gets into a Tight Place." It fits very well! Don't discontinue Pooh just because you are "Grown up!"

5.0 out of 5 stars must read for the kids, 18 Dec 1997
By A Customer
If you have or know any children at all, you'll want to read chapters of this book to them. The original Milne Pooh stories are superb, and the whimsical language is what makes them great. Skip any and all disney versions. The language and the stories are inferior."You're just in time for a little smackerel of something " becomes "let's have a snack" . The orignal stories are memorable and fascinating. Do not waste your time with anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Classics don't need new twists, 7 Aug 1997
By A Customer
The children's book of the century (I humbly think) in which we meet A. A. Milne's Winnie The Pooh, and the companion-sequel The House at Pooh Corner. Chocked full of hidden wisdom, Expotitions (Expeditions), lessons in friendship and a bear's eye view of life, this collection features Mr. (Ernest) Shepard's original illustrations from Christopher Robin's childhood surroundings, and his well known friends Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, Rabbit (and all his friends and relations, Kanga and Roo, and the mysteriously absent Heffalumps and Woozles. Sit back with a child and Winnie the Pooh, and learn what it means to be "friends forever."

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favouritest Thing, 18 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Winnie the Pooh (Paperback)
I almost feel a little silly writing a review of this book, truth be told, because no matter what I say here it wont come close to describing how truly wonderful this book is. The way it is written means that this is a book that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, and I defy anyone not to smile while doing so. It contains some of the most delightful characters ever put to paper, and stories which I believe will last forever. I certainly hope that they do so. My only regret is that I was 18 years old before I bought myself this book, as I have no idea how I managed before I got it. I can no longer get to sleep at night without reading a couple of tales from the Hundred Acre Wood. I couldn't possibly say it is the best book ever written, but I can confidently say that it is my personal favourite. No one can be uncheered with the Complete Winnie the Pooh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all ages, 16 April 1999
By A Customer
I have loved these stories for as long as I can remember but until last year I had never read the books straight through. It is the strangest feeling to know that you are reading something for the first time and yet remember the story instinctively from early childhood. This book along with the collection of poems is a must have. When my mother read me these stories (starting when I was 2-3 years old) she would get strange looks as she laughed out loud at parts that a toddler can't understand. As a teen I now appreciate these stories on a whole new level.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite story of all time!, 7 Aug 1997
By A Customer
On my fifth birthday, among other things, I received a rather large box. Inside it was a 15" Winnie-the-Pooh doll and _The World of Pooh_.
(_The World of Pooh_ contained _Winnie-the-Pooh_ and _The House at Pooh Corner_.) Since then, I cannot count the number of times I've read the different Pooh stories. I've bought all the books I can find of Pooh, as well as the stuffed animals. Pooh has definitely become a favorite of mine because of this book. (I still have the book and the doll.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own, 11 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I must have had a sheltered childhood as I never read these stories before. Now that my wife & I have a child on the way, I've been reading these stories out loud to the child (still in the womb). The stories are just wonderful with great imagery and humor both on a child and adult level. Furthermore, the drawings are truly wonderful. If you have children you must have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You life is not complete, 31 Oct 1998
By A Customer
until you have read all about Pooh's adventures with his friends in the 100 Acre Woods. My mother read these classic storries to me (complete with varying voices for all of the characters). Milne manages to capture the essence of childhood thoughts and reasoning perfectly! If you haven't read this yet you should be ashamed of yourself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love to read Pooh., 27 May 1998
By A Customer
I LOVE to read all about Pooh. His "expotitions" are fun and cute. I like Piglet best. I like him because he is cute and small and can fit in your pocket. I think Pooh should stay the way A. A. Milne made him up, not the way Disney does him. Have fun reading! Amelia Brown, age 8, Wash DC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Complete Winnie the Pooh
The Complete Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne (Paperback - 9 Feb 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01