on 29 June 2013
From the off I must do the `in the interest of full disclosure' thing -- and declare Jo is one of my closest friends and I would help her promote her shopping list if she decided to publish it. But, relief and joy, I'm not having to play the `loyal pal' role here. No. Instead I'm the `mind blown chum'. The woman is my friend but, boy, I did not know she could write like this! Barking Blondes is such a great book and, unheard of for me, I read it in two sittings.

It's sort of a hard book to describe: yes, it's as eccentric and bonkers as the title suggests - and there are many ridiculous comedy scenarios and beautifully witty dry lines - but the book is way more than the tale (tail?) of four kerrazy never-knowingly-underdressed bitches.

This book has soul. This book is about friendship and joy. This book is about love. This book is about pain. This book is about how hilariously, cruelly, barking life can be.

It's insightful and smart and honest and raw. It's a delight. And I think you'll love it.

Woof woof, Jo and Anna!
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a quick, light easy read, something I would recommend on a train ride, or as a time filler that you can put down and pick up another day.

I found the women a bit annoying in places, they were supposed to be witty and amusing and at times I just found them self absorbed.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my cup of tea either.
on 23 June 2013
Am hoping that the dog loving members of my online book club enjoy Barking Blondes as much as I did. I found it to be a very honest story about two career women, who are devoted to their dogs and, for the most part, their partners. We journey with them through their loves, their losses, and their growing success as BBC radio hosts. While passionately carving out a media niche in the dog industry, they become adored by dog loving fans all over the UK. Joanne Good and Anna Webb are extremely likable characters. Their encounters with a bomb disposal expert and his dog on their radio show Barking at the Moon, pawtastic birthday parties with liver cake, Anna's obsession with natural health supplements for her miniature bull terrier Molly, Jo Good's bulldog Matilda whose love of a good nap proves disastrous in her first TV commercial all made me laugh, while Anna's deep love for her dog and coming to terms with Molly's inevitable demise (hopefully far off in the future) while visiting the famous canine WW1 hero Rin Tin Tin's grave in Paris, had me reaching for the tissues. The ending was sad and unexpected and pulled on my heart strings. The story's themes are universal and you don't have to be barking mad or lead a glitzy life in London to embrace this surprisingly down to earth story. An easy summer read.
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2015
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit I was drawn to this book by its title and the cute doggies on the front cover. What is it they say about judging books by those…?

Once you get past the distractingly short sentence style, I find it odd that a work supposedly written by two people – Anna Webb and Jo Good – is told exclusively from the viewpoint of the latter. She is very self-absorbed, with every event described according to how it affects her. While it’s obvious how much she loves her pooch, Matilda the bulldog, the emphasis is very much on how the relationship affects Jo. Some quite significant, often tragic events happen to people around her, but what you get to hear about is mostly Jo making up her mind how to react, how uncomfortable certain things made her feel, how awkward it was to think what to say, etc.

She does admit that she is self-centred, but I haven’t yet noticed the overwhelming humour that the publicity and the quotes on the cover (from Julie Birchill and Julian Clary) led me to expect. I haven’t quite managed to finish the book yet. Unlike Julian Clary, I have found it all too easy to put the book down! However, the review is due today, so here it is. I will report back if I get any more out of it, but it hasn’t exactly won me over so far…
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am not a doggy person, nor have I ever heard Radio London, so I came to read this book without a clue about the authors. I wanted to read it because it sounded fun and I needed something to cheer me up. This book did just that. It is indeed a tonic to read.
Jo Good and Anna Webb do sound a bit crazy , but then that's the kind of people I like best.
They are passionate about their work and their doggy friends Molly and Matilda. The men in their lives tend to take second or third place and sometimes things do get a bit sad.
This is an interesting book to read, a real insight to other women's lives, women who are independent, hardworking and prefer their fur babies to human babies. This is not a criticism, I can see many reasons why this is a viable alternative, especially to anyone dealing with a teen, (dogs are always going to be more loyal and loving)!
I feel I have had an honest and insightful look into Jo and Anna's lives and if I lived in London I would now be wanting to listen to their Radio show.
on 19 May 2013
I never write these but the tag like drew me in. Two bitches teaching two bitches. I am not a "bitch" but recently I bought a small gorgeous puppy who had become the love of my life. I am not a crazy dog lady and reading about two funny intelligent and together women who learned to love life rather than waiting for a man or anything else was freeing really! I love my pet and I know he is a pet but I realise that life is what you make of it and anything, even a small fuzzy friend, can teach you that. This book is fun sweet and a great read. Recommend. They won't show you the path to everlasting happiness. But that is refreshing. Ultimately they show you how good friends Human and dog help you through the tough times. Bravo!
on 15 June 2013
If you don't read another book this year don't miss this one - brilliant from start to finish. I was a regular listen of Jo Good's radio show during the night - it was like going to a party every day - and then she moved to daytime. The Barking at the Moon on Thursday evenings was the best night of the week - now you can have a best day everyday. I tried reading this book on the bus going to work but kept laughing so much people were beginning to stare. It's funny, witty and towards the end sad when Jo talks about Big George. Read it from start to finnish in one go, and will read again and again. I don't think I will every eat Swedish meatballs again without thinking of Anna and Molly. This is a MUST read book. Enjoy - Woof Woof girls.
on 24 June 2013
I downloaded Barking Blondes on my Kindle early one morning whilst listening to the BBC London breakfast show. I didn't get out of bed for 4 hours as I couldn't put the book down. Written in the first person of Jo Good, it is a very humourous tale of dogs, friends, love, love lifes and heart break. It was all so beautifully written and had me in tears at Chapter 7, such tenderness about a very public but personal and private life changing event. If you're interested in life and how we all motor along these two blondes and their dogs wear their hearts on their sleeves.
on 23 February 2016
I bought this book in a bargain bookshop for £5 and looked forward to some fun reading. I ended up in reading a sad story about Jo and George, on the side a friend Anna, and then there were two seemingly perfect dogs. The story was written from Jo's perspective circling around her ego - which she honestly confessed. Another title e.g. 'The double life of my beloved' or whatever would have helped me not to buy this book. --- I am a single career woman with 2 Northern Breeds, who definitely cannot walk them in high heels ;-)
on 14 July 2013
A fascinating insight into several worlds: broadcasting; dogs; commitment! A searingly honest forensic examination of relationships and their importance informed by a love of dogs and all things doggy; Joanne maintains her humorous ability to cut through convention and give us a true insight into love and death. And weirdly gripping too, as the events in the lives of the Barking Blondes take unexpected twists and turns, and we breathlessly attempt to anticipate outcomes. A real page turner!