4.0 out of 5 stars The queen of veggie cookery
Ah the lovely Rose Elliot....she is to vegetarian cookery what Mary Berry is to baking and what vinegar is to chips.

This is quite a hefty, solid hardcover book full of tempting recipes, well set out with clear, step by step instructions, and numerous beautiful photographs.

I have one or two grumbles, though....it is a common assumption these days...
Published 13 months ago by Jood

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of Oct 13 Kindle Edtion...awful
Whereas I've cooked from Rose's work since the 1970s, this is an atrocious Kindle edition. I want Kindle cookbooks because they take up less space, are easily searchable, easily accessible (such as working out the ingredients when out shopping) AND EASILY READABLE WITH PINCH AND ZOOM for my clapped out eyes.
This kindle version does not have pinch and zoom at all...
Published 9 months ago by Julie Cutler

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gift!, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection (Hardcover)
I bought this for my boss, a keen cook who enjoys good food. The recipes are inspiring and the book is beautifully presented, enticing photographs supporting easy to follow methods. I think I'll get another copy - this looks too good to miss, even though not vegetarians in our household...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookery book, 10 Jan 2014
I love Rose Elliots reciepes as they are always easy to follow and she gives health tips too. Large cookery book... good bargain! Brought this for my sister, she hasn't tried creating any of the dishes yet, but i'm sure they'll be very tasty as always

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 16 Oct 2013
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This had plenty of decent recipes that even a meat eater like me could eat.
The recipes are easy to follow and accessible.
The book itself is well produced with nice photos and is quite sturdy so you can keep it in the kitchen as you cook some of the recipes.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian Heaven, 15 Oct 2013
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The majority of people in this country are not vegetarians, but over the years we've all become aware of the health benefits of eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables. Many of the so-called `superfoods' belong to these two food groups - including beetroot, pomegranates and watercress, to name but three examples.

Additionally we have the government (backed by the advice of nutritionists and health advisors) hammering into everyone the concept of `five-a-day' portions of fruit and veg for a healthy-balanced diet. So it clearly makes sense to follow their advice.

I'm not a vegetarian myself, but would happily become one (provided I was allowed the odd bacon sandwich or beef dinner!) if I was served dishes that look as mouth-watering as the meals in this book.

Well known foodie Rose Elliot is responsible for this volume, which in addition to the very-well detailed recipes provided, also contains a very useful notes section on the ingredients. Here she writes about their health benefits, availability and the best way to buy and store them, among other topics.

It is chunky, beautifully produced, and contains a wealth of full-page photographs of food that is to die for. Clearly a lot of love and thought has gone into the preparation of this lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of an established vegetarian cookery author., 8 Oct 2013
Noticing the striking cover in my local library, I borrowed this book as I like to experiment with new vegetarian recipes. Whilst on loan, my sister dipped into the book and was really impressed so I bought it as a birthday present for her. She is thrilled. I have made a couple of dishes so far and they have turned out really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing vegetarian recipes, 25 Sep 2013
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review will be rather gushing but I make no apologies. As a vegetarian I feel I have found the culinary version of an oasis after crawling across a relative desert. I have to look after a carnivore and have quite a few cook books with some interesting vegetarian choices but so many seem to think that they can tick a box by throwing in Ratatouille or chick peas with lemon verbena.

Sometimes vegetarian cookbooks are no better. I confess to being an awkward vegetarian. I don't like beans, I am not crazy about Tofu, I will not eat cheese unless it is vegetarian cheese, I can only cope with tomatoes in moderation, celery and pips not at all and I am not that enthusiastic about fruit either. Oh, and I don't like lemon verbena, too many things combined or anything on the menu at an expensive specialist vegetarian restaurant I was recently taken to for a `treat' (sorry, but the chips you bought me afterwards were yummy).

I therefore hope that you will understand that I am difficult to please and it is rare for me to be spoilt for choice. It is thus surprising for me to say that Rose Elliot's collection was simply mouth watering from start to finish. The selection is compiled from two previous offerings: Veggie Chic and Vegetarian Supercook,

Whilst I have been vegetarian for a number of years and have a reasonable repertoire of recipes of my own that I knock up, I was surprised to find so many new dishes that instantly appealed. Some recipes are more challenging than others but there are quite a few simple dishes to suit less experienced cooks.

A few that stood out for me were:

Chestnut stuffed onions with porcini gravy
Dauphinoise roulade with red chard and dolcelatte filling
Mushroom tempura with garlic mayonnaise
Pea, spinach & mint pithiviers
Mediterranean stuffed peppers with cauliflower mash
Mini feta and sun-dried tomato muffins

Recipes range from a simple snack-style toasted camembert baguette to dinner party dishes such as the aforementioned roulade and pithiviers. They are grouped into sections: starters, soups & salads, classics with a twist, midweek meals, dinners to impress, al fresco, parties & celebrations, side dishes and finally (but most importantly!) desserts & cakes.

An easily overlooked 'notes' section prior to the contents listing outlines a few things to watch out for if cooking for a vegetarian for the first time, such as using vegetarian labelled parmesan and other cheeses (many still contain animal derived rennet, particularly those that originate in France).

Good photographs accompany most recipes although disappointingly (as seems usual these days) not all dishes are illustrated. Ingredient lists were clear and instructions easy to follow. Whether you only occasionally cook vegetarian meals or, like me, it is a daily challenge to come up with something new, this book will really hit the spot - and a vegetarian guest will not be disappointed with anything you whip up from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best vegetarian cookbook I've ever seen!, 25 Sep 2013
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I own a number of vegetarian cookbooks but if I was to recommend just one, this would be it. The range of dishes, snacks, dips, meals and puddings is incredible and comprehensive; literally, something for everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything to Everybody, 16 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has occurred to me that this book is trying a bit too hard to be everything to everybody. The chapters are very diverse, I think people who regularly cater for friends and family may already have a book dedicated to those sorts of dishes and not need this section (Dinners to Impress and Parties & Celebrations) or only use this and not the other chapters. It seems too different from the other side of the book with topics such as Midweek Meals and Classics With a Twist which are the parts I have used. I guess if this is the Best of... or Ultimate Cookbook then all these need to be represented but are unlikely to be used by me.

I have had some success with the dishes - the instructions are clear ad timings accurate - but find that there are sometimes too many ingredients and it works out expensive to shop and make something simple like a Pad Thai or a Stroganoff, thus I have not used this book as much as I expected.

The book is a lovely, sturdy colour hard back, but I would prefer a picture for every recipe, especially the more complicated ones (I know what a risotto or a tofu stir-fry should look like) but the ones in the book are excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure about this one, 14 Sep 2013
Syd - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
it's hard to put into words, but don't really like this book. hard to find inspiration, it's set out like an 80s cookbook. personally the food seems old hat and nothing new. if you want a veggie book go for hugh f-w's veg!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This book definitely delivers, 12 Sep 2013
E. E. Hughes (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is packed full of interesting vegetarian recipes. They all look delicious. Although some of the ingredients are more exotic than I tend to have in my cupboards, none of the recipes are too complicated to make them impossible for the average cook.

My partner is vegetarian and I am always on the look out for recipes that will interest him (and me). This book definitely delivers.

The book is beautifully presented, clear and concise. My one niggle is that not every recipe is represented by a photograph (although quite a few are). For this reason I have given it four stars rather than five.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection
The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection by Rose Elliot (Hardcover - 3 Jun 2013)
18.00