5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced book full of brilliant veggie recipes
Published 17 months ago by A Common Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of Oct 13 Kindle Edtion...awful
Whereas I've cooked from Rose's work since the 1970s, this is an atrocious Kindle edition. I want Kindle cookbooks because they take up less space, are easily searchable, easily accessible (such as working out the ingredients when out shopping) AND EASILY READABLE WITH PINCH AND ZOOM for my clapped out eyes.
This kindle version does not have pinch and zoom at all...
Published 14 months ago by Julie Cutler

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced book full of brilliant veggie recipes, 24 July 2013
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a vegetarian but enjoy vegetarian food from time to time, particularly when having people staying who don't eat meat. Last year I stayed for a few days in a vegetarian hotel and enjoyed the food so much that I thought I would like to try some recipes out for myself. When this book came along, it seemed an ideal introduction and so I set to and have since enjoyed some fabulous food which friends and relatives have enjoyed also.

The book is very well laid out with categories covering everyday food such as "Midweek meals", "Al Fresco", "Soups and Salads", and also the more complex menus contained in the sections "Classics with a Twist", "Dinners to Impress", "Parties and Celebrations".

I started with Midweek Meals and found recipes for a wide range of quite simple dinners such as corn fritters with tomato sauce, chunky lentil, onion and chestnut loaf, and three cheese cauliflower with walnuts - all of which are delcious.

Under classics with a twist, I found a tamari flavoured nut roasts which was very good (tamari is a variation on soy sauce and I confess to using low salt soy sauce and being pleased with the result.

The omelette cannelloni with spinach filling was reasonably straightforward and worked out very well.

I have yet to try the other recipes but judging by my first attempts I shall enjoy trying some of them out.

The recipes are laid out well and the instructions are clear and straightforward. The book is very well bound and printed on thick paper - I think it would withstand quite a lot of kitchen treatment. I would say it's a great addition to any recipe book library and would also make a great gift for anyone who likes trying out new recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The queen of veggie cookery, 23 Jun 2013
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah the lovely Rose Elliot....she is to vegetarian cookery what Mary Berry is to baking and what vinegar is to chips.

This is quite a hefty, solid hardcover book full of tempting recipes, well set out with clear, step by step instructions, and numerous beautiful photographs.

I have one or two grumbles, though....it is a common assumption these days that kitchens are equipped with a food processor. Mine is not and so many of the recipes are just not possible to undertake as Ms Elliot doesn't provide any alternative means to achieve the results. One can only assume that such recipes have been invented since the advent of this piece of equipment.

As a vegetarian of many years,I have often been asked if my diet is expensive. My usual answer is an emphatic No. However, this collection actually involves quite a bit of expense. How many kitchens, for instance, would have in its cupboards rosewater, rice vinegar, umeboshi plums or Toofer dhal? Not many I suspect, unless the owner is entering Masterchef. The list of specialised ingredients at the back of this book runs to three pages! The subtitle "The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection" I suppose is a clue that this is probably aimed at those who have slightly deeper pockets. If I were a novice vegetarian I would find this book a little intimidating so I would suggest, if you fall into this category, try some of Rose Elliot's earlier writings for more basic down-to-earth recipes. There are plenty available......"Not Just a Load of Old Lentils" has been my standby for years.

This is a lovely book, though, and a welcome addition to my collection; can't wait to get shopping and try some of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of classic and modern veggie, 3 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned Rose Elliot's classic Vegetarian Cookery since it was published in 1988. That was the first grown up cookery book I ever bought and is still referred to frequently. This new book dispenses with explaining exotic ingredients (we're all more familiar with them these days I think!) filling the pages with fresh and flavoursome recipes and gorgeous pictures. Everything is kept fairly simple with modest ingredient lists and 5 stages or less for most recipes. Most recipes are accompanied by a full page picture so you can see what you are aiming at!

I'm vegan and there are lots of vegan recipes here (around 50% are naturally vegan, and many others can be made vegan with substitutions. It is obvious that Rose has adapted her cooking for the times as everything in this book is fresh, healthy and colourful. No cheese laden pasta here!

The book is usefully arranged into themes - the usual starters, soups, mains, sides and desserts, plus also recipes for dinner parties, al fresco dining, parties. The dessert section is enormous and includes delights such as nectarines roasted with lavender, fig tarte tatin with ginger cream, fruit sushi plate, as well as comfort stodge!

So I shall look forward to working through these recipes over the next 25 years. A great companion to my old favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food, reliable recipes, 14 July 2013
Donald Lush "lushd" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first encountered vegetarian cookbooks many years ago they all seemed terribly concerned with nutrition, as if the decision to avoid eating meat was slightly risky and I would have to take precautions. They all seemed to go out of their way to add cheese, eggs or nuts to prevent the damage imagined by the loss of a meat diet. As a result, the food was a bit stodgy and heavy, often.

Rose Elliot has always approached the issue from a different angle - tasty food that tempts you to eat it. Within a few moments of looking in this book, you should find something you want to make and the recipes are a "best of" so they are all tried and trusted.

Nicely presented and easy to follow, an ideal gift for a student or someone setting up on their own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of Oct 13 Kindle Edtion...awful, 26 Oct 2013
Julie Cutler (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This kindle version does not have pinch and zoom at all (you can tap on the individual sections of the recipe to enlarge, but the ingredients are laid out a line at time. The contents lists are per section, often with designer based highlighting, making it impossible to read. So I tried search....THE BOOK HASN'T BEEN INDEXED.

Now I know I like the recipes from Vegetarian Supercook. But I'm stuck with the dead tree version still, because this does not cut the dijon mustard. Returned for refund as unfit for purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, 14 Aug 2013
All of them Witches (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely book crammed full of excellent recipes. True there are some unusual ingredients but I always adapt recipes anyway; can't abide ginger so I leave it out or put in something else depending on the dish etc.
Not every dish has got a picture, a particular bugbar of mine, but i guess that would entail the book being considerably heftier and more expensive.
Something worth noting is that this is a 'best of' so there is some replication of previous books one of which I already have so particularly recommended as an introductory book for those who don't have a Rose Elliot book and something to consider for those who do.
There's certainly enough here for me; have tried maybe four with a lot of success bar a soup and there are loads more which look and sound lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Tempt Even Non Vegetarians, 20 Sep 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book brings together recipes from Elliot's Vegetarian Supercook and Veggie Chic into a great collection. The recipes are divided into nine sections beginning with starters and ending with desserts and cakes. Each section has its own index assisting the cook in quickly locating their desired recipe.

The Midweek Meals section is great for cooks in a hurry to produce a healthy, tasty family meal quickly, whilst the Dinners to Impress and Party and Celebrations section covers every posh cooking demand that might be placed on the cooking host or hostess. Vegetarians often miss out on Barbeques but the Alfresco Meal section is likely to inspire.

The recipes are tempting and many are unusual rather than run of the mill although there is a section on Classics with a Twist for the more traditionally minded. All recipes have their ingredients clearly listed on the left of the page and each recipe is well set out in easy numbered stages. There are also helpful pictures showing what the finished result should look like for the majority of recipes.

My one criticism would be that there is no indication of the calorie count or any indication of the amount of time that might be required in preparation. Now I must confess that I am not a strict vegetarian by nature although I do enjoy some vegetarian recipes. However, with recipes such as Moroccan Flavoured Aubergine Wellington and Wild Mushroom Roulade, frankly who needs meat? This book actually made me feel very excited about meals without meat or fish. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Vegetarian Meals, 17 Oct 2013
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection is a superb book. It is filled with delicious recipes that are actually relatively simple to make, using a moderate amount of regular ingredients, instead of a list as long as your arm. Rose Elliot manages to set the mood that you are more than capable of making anything from the book, with ease. She buoys you up with her confidence, and her practical attitude that it really does not matter if your roulade may crack when you roll it - it is just as tasty no matter how it looks. The lack of perfection makes you feel like you could give it a good attempt, and not need to feel ashamed of any little imperfections that may arise.

Rose has thoughtfully made it clear which recipes are vegan-friendly, and has even placed a suggestion box at the end to let the reader know some of her ideas for substituting ingredients for vegan ones, when required. This is a great help for people needing a vegan and vegetarian recipes. As a vegetarian I try to offer my family lots of interesting meals, but my daughter is allergic to milk and egg products, so by creating a vegan recipe I can fulfil both our needs.

There are many colourful, and healthy recipes in this book, but there are a fair amount of 'comfort' foods included as well. I found the different sections very useful, and particularly enjoyed the 'Dinners to Impress', and 'Parties and Celebrations' sections. I haven't tried all the recipes out, but those that I have tried have been very successful with my family and friends.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best vegetarian cookbooks I have seen in while. It will definitely be used for a long time to come!

Overall, I highly recommend this for vegetarians, vegans, and those who wish to try some delicious meat-free dishes.

3.0 out of 5 stars a satisfying selection, 17 Aug 2013
LittleMoon (loving my life in the rain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For those who own either of Elliot's cookbooks, Veggie Chic, or Vegetarian Supercook, it's worth knowing that this book is a collection of recipes selected from those 2 books. My own staple cookbook is Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian, and it is not surpassed, except in the department of sumptuous photography, by this latest "Best of" offering. Having said that, there can never be a downside to having another Rose Elliot cookery book on the shelf!

The Best of Rose Elliot is divided into 9 food sections: Starters; Soups & salads; Classics with a twist; Midweek meals; Dinners to impress; Al fresco; Parties & celebrations; Side dishes; Desserts & cakes. There are also notes on some of the more unusual ingredients which are interesting to read through. Almost all the dishes are accompanied by full-page glossy photographs that add to the pleasure of flicking through and finding something tasty to serve up. As usual with Elliot, the recipes are simple step-by-step processes with a clear list of ingredients and a succinct one or two sentence introduction.

I've tried a few of the recipes. The sweet potato & coconut dhal was lovely, and as mentioned in the book, tastes much better the next day. It would also be great blitzed up as a soup. I was disappointed by the three-bean chilli which lacked the flavour of a personal favourite recipe because it lacked both herbs and spices (only chilli and garlic in Elliot's, compared with cumin, cayenne, allspice, parsley and oregano). I can create a combination of the two recipes but Elliot's should still be good enough to stand alone; here I felt it played safe to the point of being bland. There are plenty of recipes I am looking forward to trying, such as the banana curry, the lemon & almond drizzle cake and the green risotto.

I always find Elliot to be a very companionable presence in the kitchen when I'm cooking, and this book is presented in the same relaxed and accessible style. The finished results are usually on a par with what is expected, and can be obtained by even a novice cook. This book contains a wide range of dishes, from simple flavoured sides (parsnips in sage butter: yum!) to more complex mains (red pepper, ricotta & fennel tortellini with tarragon sauce) that make it easy to find something for almost any occasion. All in all, a lovely book with a satisfying selection of recipes that isn't quite as good as its title suggests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy one, get two..., 15 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first Rose Elliot cookbook was her 30-Minute Vegetarian from last year and it quickly became obvious to me why she has so many fans - several of the recipes from that book have become regular favourites of mine in the past year. I was planning to pick up her earlier cookbooks too so when I noticed this new book, which cherry-picks (hopefully) the best recipes from her earlier Vegetarian Supercook and Veggie Chic, it seemed the perfect next solution - buy one and get two. This book features a wide selection of recipes which aren't in such a hurry as the 30-minute Vegetarian selections, divided into logical sections such as Starters, Soups & Salads and Midweek Meals. Like many vegetarian cookbooks the recipes, or influences at least, come from all over the world but there's a recurring South-East Asian theme (or maybe I just particularly enjoyed those?) with tasty Malaysian, Thai or Indonesian spiced dishes.

One of my absolute favourites from the 30-Minute Vegetarian is the Tomato and Pesto Tart (it's featured on the cover of that book) and its slightly more sophisticated elder brother turns up in this book, in the form of a lovely Tomato, Pesto & Mozzarella Tart - for example the crumbly walnut crust from the 30-minute version becomes crisp home-made walnut pastry. They're both delicious, by the way, just make whichever one you have time and the ingredients for.

The book's layout is simple and clear with most (though not all) recipes illustrated with full page photo's. If you already have the original books these recipes appeared in then of course it's a bit redundant but for catcher-uppers, like me, or as a gift it's a terrific book of varied and really tasty vegetarian food that any competent cook could achieve.

The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection
The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection by Rose Elliot (Hardcover - 3 Jun 2013)