This is a lovely, well-written book by a determined, thoughtful woman (Celia), who gently wins the trust and love of a little mud-coloured cat.

Published on 23 Jun 2012 by B. A. V. MIDDLEMAST-NEAL

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down
Published 21 months ago by cruise queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for cat lovers and people interested in cat behaviour, 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: Tilly: The Ugliest Cat: How I rescued her and she rescued me (Paperback)

Tilly is the ugliest cat in the Cat Protection League shelter, where she has resided for eighteen months without being adopted. She is supremely distrusting of humans and cowers away from them, ears flattened to her head and eyes wide with fear; Celia's husband, Ronnie (ever-ready with a bon mot) describes her as being the "colour of sewage".
Celia takes Tilly home with her, to foster her in a normal home environment, in an attempt to rehabilitate her. She initially justifies her actions to herself by considering it dispassionately as a scientific exercise to make Tilly into an acceptable cat for adoption.

As Tilly stubbornly refuses to engage with her, Celia wonders whether she has undertaken an impossible task as her husband's health deteriorates. But what follows is a wonderful story of patience and resilience in the face of (as any cat owner knows) a cat's determination to be what and how it is, doing what it wants to do. Throughout the book there are entertaining asides about other cats and cat owners' experiences which are used to illustrate the author's reasoning. There is also a heart-rending account at the beginning of the book about the author's childhood, which she discloses in an attempt to analyse and explain her character. I found one particular incident, in which Celia describes her farmer father's punishment of her pet cat, exceptionally harrowing.

In summary, this is a "must read" book for cat lovers and those interested in ameliorating cat behaviour; it is also ultimately up-lifting and an explanation of just how much animals can enrich and enliven our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and heart warming book that will stay with you., 6 July 2012
Once I started reading this wonderful book I simply couldn't put it down. It is a heart warming account of how an ugly and frightened young cat helped her owner through the most difficult time of her life. It is extremely touching. Through Tilly's journey from unadoptable cat to adored and adoring pet, Celia her owner begins to embark on her own inward journey, exploring how cats had helped her whilst facing the difficulties of childhood and middle age. Celia comes to realise that she needs Tilly as much as Tilly needs her.

I have a beautiful cat of my own and know how comforting they can be in times of need, and this is a book for all who have gained solace from a pet. This book will always stay with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story - and true!, 5 July 2012
Mr. B. Moore "Bmoore" (London) - See all my reviews
What can I say? If you're a cat lover - as I will confess to being - then you'll adore this book. Beautifully written, it details a relationship between pet and owner that's every bit as intense and important as between people. A great read. And the most amazing part is that it actually happened.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 6 Dec 2012
I had high hopes for this book... the cat is so cute , although its not the prettiest cat in the world. As the book went on I got more and more frustated with the author seeming to treat having Tilley as an experiment . There was far too much detail about what was planned to be done and not enough about the actual cat .I got fed up with it and struggled to finish it.. I wont be recommending it to any of my family or friends it was far too boring for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tilly is pretty!!, 1 Nov 2012
Kirsty "book fan" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm an avid cat lover and have also read a previous book by Celia Haddon, One Hundred Ways For A Cat To Train Its Human :, so I was expecting to love this book. To be honest though I merely enjoyed it, rather than savoring as I'd hoped.

First off, Tilly is not an ugly cat. Even the so called "unattractive" photo of her in the cat home, shows her beautiful and unusual colouring. I would have picked her a heartbeat, but then she shares many similarities with my own nervous tortie!!

I liked reading about Tilly, and her hard road to becoming a happy and healthy pet. There are many instances that are described that will cause cat owners to chuckle and smile ruefully! There are some lovely anecdotes in the book, and many good tips that the reader can pick up and use in their own cat training

However, I did find that much of Tilly's story was overshadowed by the awful personal hardships her owner was going through at the time of her rehabilitation. I'm not adverse to reading about people's difficulties in life, but I wasn't expecting to feel so depressed reading a book about a cat. I also thought the book could have been cut down and shortened. As once Tilly had completed her milestones I began to lose interest in the book slightly, as I was not expecting there to be so many descriptions of medical ailments, hospitals and pills etc.

I think the book will appeal to cat fans as Tilly is an adorable cat, but please be aware that it is also heavily laced with the medical issues of the author and her husband.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just about Tilly, 2 Jan 2014
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a cat lover and the owner of a recalcitrant rabbit who sees her aim in life to quickly and efficiently chew every and any electrical cable in the house I was looking forward to this book. I've owned several cats in the past and know how there inherent traits can be shaped to make life easier for both the cat and owner. I was looking for guidance I guess on how to train your cat. I also have friends in Berkeley who help out at a cat protection unit who regularly offer a home to near-feral cats and try to get them more used to human contact. None of the techniques suggested will, I fear, work on the rabbit!

The book covers some of this territory but, as the title suggests, there is also much about the author's trials and tribulations. I didn't find these sections particularly interesting and as such am dropping a star. However, if you like cats and want to understand them a bit better this is a good book that is highly readable.

Just as a final note, Tilly is not ugly at all, having interesting colours in her coat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tilly has predecessors, 10 Jun 2013
Experiences with Tilly were interesting but I can't help feeling that the author included too much about the other cats with which she had experiences. I've not finished reading the book yet, 25% still to go but I feel it is being dragged out now and I'm getting bored.

3.0 out of 5 stars boring, 5 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We love cats. So a book on a cat is a sure winner right? No.
Pretty boring and tedious, other seem to indicate is gets better about a 1/3 of the way in.
To be honest can't be bothered to get that far.
Maybe when i'm REALLY bored.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Tilly, the ugliest cat in the shelter, 21 Feb 2013
G. M. Austin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book was a joy to read. I love reading a book before I retire for the night and although sad in places it is a good book to unwind with.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman Who Loves Cats, 20 Feb 2013
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this contains some upsetting and difficult to read passages (Haddon's father was a monster), the story is worth persevering with.

Some really lovely moments, such as the day that Haddon is eating fish and chips with her husband who has been very unwell. Tilly has gained a new confidence and leaps onto the table and grabs a whole chip which she gobbles down in seconds.

I am a cat enthusiast and found this book every emotional and an excellent read. Thank goodness there are people like Celia Haddon to take cats like Tilly into their homes and nurture them back to health.

It's very uplifting to hear about Tilly as she slowly comes to trust her new owner and surroundings. She looks a bit like a rug with 2 eyes - at first - but blossoms into a more attractive and healthier cat.

For me, the best part of the book was the training techniques that Haddon has perfected. Cat owners can learn a lot from this book.

Tilly: The Ugliest Cat: How I rescued her and she rescued me
Tilly: The Ugliest Cat: How I rescued her and she rescued me by Celia Haddon (Paperback - 2 July 2012)