5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
A really beautiful book, layout and photos are excellent. Very practical and simple, just strieght forward biology and behaviour, no nosense. A lovely gift for a first time parent.
Published on 25 Sep 2008 by N.Hepburn

3.0 out of 5 stars too beautiful
Published on 7 Nov 2008 by Mr. S. Wickenden

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 25 Sep 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all new parents, 3 Feb 2009
Klaus Sphr "Klaus Sphr" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent and beautiful book about what happens in the first two years in the life of a newborn child. It is full of useful information and fantastic photos and a guide to parents on the various stages of the baby's development. It is also a consolation for anxious and insecure parents to be reassured that their baby is not unique and that all babies follow more or less the same patterns of development. We gave the book to our son and daughter in law who had a baby in September and they tell us that they can actually use the book as a kind of manual. Can be highly recommended.

Klaus Sphr, Denmark

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but hard to get immersed in, 12 Jan 2010
I bought this because I've loved lots of Desmond Morris' books for years - from the "Naked Ape" to "Dogwatching". We had our first baby this year and so when I saw that Morris had written this I had to buy it. It's a beautiful book (would make an impressive present by the way for new parents!) with great illustrations and schematics and has lots of useful material.
The thing that just hasn't quite jelled for me with it, and this is why I rate it 4 not 5 stars, is that because it's split into lots of short sections, two pages at a time, it just doesn't read that well. Morris' typical books are really read-able and I've always loved the way you can enjoy them as a kind of non-fiction novel if that makes sense. This is not like that. I suppose it's nice in this way because you can dip in and out of it, but I've found that it just hasn't really held my attention.
Although perhaps that's because I'm too tired as a new Dad ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 7 Dec 2010
This book was bought on a whim as I thought it may provide a different insight from all the usual baby books out there. The verdict; I would thoroughly recommend to parents of a young baby! It offers a unique insight into how babies grow and develop in the first two years of life, and even has a few tips which may help along the way. Adorable pictures throughout the book. Would make a lovely gift for new parents.

3.0 out of 5 stars too beautiful, 7 Nov 2008
It's an interesting read, lots of interesting fact, but it has no references to back up his claims. Occasionally comes across a bit olde world parenting, as if dads have hardly any input in the early days. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the unreal beauty of all the babies. You can tell they have sought out the most 'beautiful' babies possible. I find all babies beautiful, even the 'ugly' ones and they are not represented in this book.

Baby: A portrait of the amazing first two years of life
Baby: A portrait of the amazing first two years of life by Desmond Morris (Paperback - 7 May 2012)
Used & New from: 0.50