5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem if You Like Moroccan Food
The craze for tagine cookery started when the beautiful earthenware funnelled pots which the Moroccans use to cook their casseroles, became available in our shops. This is a great little book, even if you have not yet acquired a tagine, as it offers a large number of delicious Moroccan recipes from soups and pastries to couscous and tagines.

The contents are...
Published on 8 Nov. 2012 by Brett H

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have used many of the Hamlyn 200 cookbook series and after enjoying a delicious Moroccan Lamb dish in the 200 Slow Cooker Recipe book, I hoped I would find more inspiration in this collection. The book is split into nine sections: Kemia and small first courses, Soups, Tagines, Fish, Kebabs & accompaniments, Vegetables, Couscous, Pastillas, and Deserts & sweet...
Published on 20 Oct. 2012 by K. Wright

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Moroccan recipes to dip into, 1 Dec. 2012
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: 200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a collection of Moroccan recipes which are fairly easy to make and don't require special equipment such as cous-cous steamers or tagines. They vary in complexity, and preparation time sometimes involves marination. One recipe requires three weeks of maceration (for preserved lemons). On the other hand, some of them are extremely quick and you can be sorting out unexpected guests with savoury aniseed biscuits in 20 minutes or prawns pil-pil in fifteen.

There's enough in this book to take you all the way through several extensive meals -- even on the Moroccan basis of offering several small items in the starter and with the main. Some of these you can cook with ingredients you probably already have at home. Spicy fekkas, for example, just needs cheese, yeast and flour. Most of the other ingredients -- with the exception of things such as quince and quail -- are fairly easy to get hold of. Chick peas and cous-cous come up a lot, and there is a fairly useful explanation at the start in some detail as to how to cook cous-cous (which is neither the way I learned in France, nor the way my wife learned in Turkey).

Alongside the recipes, which are set out clearly, are beautifully photographed illustrations of each dish.

A nice book to dip into occasionally, or for planning a full Moroccan meal.

3.0 out of 5 stars A varied selection, 30 Oct. 2012
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book presents a varied selection of Moroccan dishes, including many classics - the meatball tagine in a spicy tomato sauce with eggs broken into it to cook right at the end is a favourite of mine, especially when served with flatbreads to scoop it up.

It's nice to see that the recipes make up such components as the necessary spice combinations or harissa paste from scratch, though I would like to have seen some simple recipes for reusable components such as a ras el-hanout spice blend listed separately and referenced in other recipes so you can knock up a quantity in advance and have it ready for cooking several of the meals herein.

As in all these Hamlyn books, the 200 recipes are 100 recipes plus mostly variations on each; these are often quite lame in that the variation is often minor, though it is pleasing to see that in some cases the second recipe listed on a page is in fact an accompaniment to the main dish rather than a variation on it. Why can't we see this more often in these books? Indeed why can't we see this more often in all cookbooks?

Another downside of this series is that the size means it's not that easy for use whilst cooking as it does not lie open flat. But having said this at the price it's a reasonably decent basic collection of Moroccan recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamlyn have done it again! Another fab recipe book., 20 Dec. 2012
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After my success with the Hamlyn curry book I moved onto this one which looked abit more complicated. I do not own a tangine and whilst you can make do without one, I went on the search and found some colourful ones in Aldi and they were great value at £15. The only downside is that they dont stock them all the time, however you can find them on Amazon if you chose to use one. (Its basically a casserole dish with a funnel shape lid).

I love the use of the vegetables in the recipes and it has introduced me to items I would normally not purchase as I didnt know what to do with them. Chick peas for example were something that I would rarely purchase but have found many ways of using them in cooking and thats thanks to this book.

There are 200 recipes and whilst some of them look abit complicated to cook at the moment, I am working my way through the book. The tangine itself is an excellent way of cooking and the meat is so tender and full of flavour. I am also getting more confident in using herbs and spices and learning which herb goes with which meat and I am able to use that knowledge when cooking other meals and not just recipes from this book.

Whilst its not my favourite book in the Hamlyn range, its certainly used and referred to often so it was worth getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to Tagine & Moroccan cookery, 9 Nov. 2012
HJK (Gomersal UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the 8th Hamlyn 200 cookery book that I have. I like the size & format with 1 photograph for every recipe & its variations. Each book covers 1 theme.

This one is a very good introduction to Moroccan & Tagine cookery.

There is a very detailed description of how to make couscous - 9 little photographs, on 1 page, near the beginning; and also how to put together a pastilla with 9 photographs - a sort of pie with filo pastry - there are different recipes later on.

I must admit I do not have a tagine but will be using my slow cooker for these recipes or my cast-iron casserole dish on a low heat.

The savoury recipes that appeal to me are on first look are:

Chicken with parsley
Moroccan meatball tagine
Marinated minty lamb kebabs
Potatoes 'mchermel'
Rabbit in spicy sauce - and its variation rabbit tagine with prunes.

There are lots of sweet recipes and I will be trying caramelized nuts very soon as well as the date crescents - as I love date recipes.

The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are similar to some curry recipes but there is more emphasise on fruit - fresh or dried - such as apricots & dates and maybe not as much "heat".

Overall a cook first book on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to prepare Aubergine 'Caviar'..., 28 Oct. 2012
Coffee & Vanilla "Margot" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After my recent visit to one of the London's Middle Eastern restaurant I realized I don't know anything about Moroccan cuisine so I ordered this book to learn more and try to recreate some of the dishes at home.

On the first pages the book explains about tagines (terracotta dishes used to cook) and ingredients used in Morocco, how to prepare cous-cous and pastilla. The rest of the book is dedicated to recipes which are divided into: kemia & small first courses, soups, tagines, fish, kebabs & accompaniments, vegetables, couscous, pastillas, desserts & sweet things.

The dishes look quite authentic comparing to the dishes I had in the Moroccan restaurant recently. The recipe that made me intrigued a bit was the Pigeon Pastilla, I definitely won't try it, leaving in London I don't think of pigeons as something you can eat. Luckily there is 199 other other recipes, I can't wait to prepare Aubergine 'Caviar' for instance.

Similar to other books from the same series, the recipes are very clearly written with separation for ingredients, method and amazing photographs on opposite side of the page. Yes, all of the recipes are coming with the image what is a big advantage, very important especially with foreign dishes that you don't know how they are supposed to look.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Introduction to North African Cooking, 23 Oct. 2012
Wobette (The Wild West) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
North African and Moroccan Cooking is often overlooked in the UK in favour of Far Eastern and Asian cooking but if you are new to it you will find it rich in flavours and spice with the added hints that the combinations with fruit bring to it.

The book starts with explanations of the basics of Moroccan cooking including a foolproof recipe for couscous. Although some of these recipes are best prepared in a Tagine, if you haven't got one then a sturdy casserole dish will do.

The book has a wide range of salads, starters, mains, kebabs and desserts which my favourite is Lamb with Orange and Chickpeas (Pg 94) with Garlic Fried Chillies (Pg 54)

If you are new to Moroccan cooking and decide you want to take it to the next level, its best to invest in a Tagine to get the real depth from the dishes as well as providing a perfect oven to table dishware. Amazon have a range of them for sale. Traditional Moroccan Tagine Serves Up to 6 People with A Set of 3 Tagine Spice Blends and a Heat Diffuser

I am a great fan of the Hamlyn books, and like all of them this one links clear descriptions, simple ingredients with full colour enticing photos in a small handy size making it ideal to store to hand in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vista of Moroccan cooking, 9 Dec. 2012
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hamlyn's range of 200 recipe cookbooks is amongst the most appealing I have come across; they are all small enough to pop into a bag or pocket to accompany you on the trip to buy ingredients for a recipe, whilst being of sufficient size to make recipe preparation a breeze.

Each recipe occupies a double-page spread; a colour photograph of the finished recipe on one side and the method on the other. Recipes are easy to follow and the majority are not too demanding.

These books are inexpensive but very inspirational, particularly if you grow your own fruit and veg or have a produce box delivered each week. The book is rich on interesting and unusual ideas if you eat meat, poultry and fish.

I felt slightly disappointed by the relative dearth of vegetarian recipes and, unusually, many of the carnivore recipes didn't strike me as easy to adapt (although I do have my eye on fried pastries with goats cheese).

One section presents recipes to make with a tagine; I don't have one but a heavy casserole dish is adequate instead (phew!). If you are buying a tagine for yourself or as a gift, this book will provide a few interesting recipes and would be a useful 'side order' to accompany the tagine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Taste of The Spices Of Life, 22 Dec. 2012
Graeme Wright "book worm" (salford) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Moroccan food, and North African food generally, is undergoing a sort of culinary renaissance through greater availability of ingredients, travel and greater prominence as a result of television coverage. How topical then that Hamlyn should wisely publish this handy and colourful book at this time. There are remarkably few books on the market which deal with this intriguing cuisine so it is even better to have a book of this quality and depth at such a reasonable price. Dealing with starters, soups, tagines, fish, kebabs, couscous, vegetables and desserts this is about as comprehensive a cookbook as one could expect and virtually every recipe featured has at least one variation. A short yet concise introduction is an ideal appetizer with sections on typical ingredients as well as instructions on how to make couscous and pastilla.
As with all the Hamlyn cookbooks in this series the photography and food styling is of a very high standard and is designed to inspire and give confidence to the novice as well as setting a challenge for the more experienced cook. Quite simply, a kitchen without this book is like a tapenade without olives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good practical book, 28 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first Hamlyn recipe book I have used and I was impressed.

The instructions are clear and unfussy. Many of the recipes have alternatives to the featured recipe (either extra or different ingredients or adapted to make in the oven instead of on the hob). There is a small selection of interesting vegetable side dishes and a few of the tagine recipes have a note of vegetable dishes that might go with them. The tagines are mainly fish or meat based and there is a good selection but a vegetarian would not have many main courses to choose from.

Some recipes call for preserved lemons. I hadn't expected to be able to get hold of them but luckily I have been able to buy them. There are instructions for making them but I would probably not attempt it myself as preserving fruit is probably beyond me. Everything else is readily available and no special cooking pots are required either.

The spicing is warm and delicate. This is cooking that makes the kitchen smell wonderful and the results are delicious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pushing my culinary boat out, 7 Nov. 2012
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like a lot of people I haven't ventured far south or east in order to try much in the way of alternative cuisine. I've played it safe when it comes to cooking within these shores as well. But in doing so, one misses out on what other regions of the world have worked and refined for centuries to make their own.

This book contains 200 recipes for dishes inspired by Moroccan cooking, including soups, pastries and tagines. I was wary when I initially thumbed through it, but even I couldn't help but be tempted by the pictures of some of the dishes (not all of them, granted!). The different spices I have had to get in have been a bit of a tread into unknown waters, but they have instantly created aromas previously un-smelt in this house, and the resulting dishes have actually been really nice - although I will have to ween myself into the quantities of spices recommended in some of the dishes.

There are a fair few recipes in this book that I will be trying, but there will also be some that I will leave well alone...

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook by Hamlyn Cookbooks (Paperback - 6 Feb. 2012)