VINE VOICEon 14 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my twelfth Hamlyn all colour cookbook, & is as good as the rest. I have a tagine, & I have cooked fairly often in it over the eight years or so that I've owned it. Now, however, I think I'll be bringing it out of the cupboard more often, even though tagines only make up a small proportion of the book, about twenty six of the two hundred plus recipes in fact, but these have added considerably to the tagine recipes I already have in other books.
The first recipe I cooked from the book was the Moroccan fish tagine. Apart from the fish & pine nuts, I had everything else in my cupboards. It is a simple recipe that even a beginner could cook successfully, & the end result was a stew full of colour & that offered different textures & was bursting with flavour.
In this compact volume, there are nine different sections: kemia & small first courses, soups, tagines, fish, kebabs & accompaniments, vegetables, couscous, pastillas, desserts & sweet things. In the front of the book, there are two illustrated 'how to make...' sections: couscous & pastillas, the latter, particularly helpful for me.
The white haricot beans in tomato sauce made a perfect light supper when friends came around, served with my home-made Moroccan loaf (that has ras el hanout as one of the ingredients), & the beetroot & cumin salad from the book.
Another recipe that I thoroughly enjoyed, & have cooked three times now, is the Moroccan rice pudding: so very creamy, & the orange-flower water adds a lovely zing & freshness.
A fabulous book, packed with recipes I want to cook. Each one I have so far produced has been easy to prepare & delicious. I can unreservedly recommend this wonderful little book.
on 18 September 2015
An excellent introduction to Moroccan cooking. I've tried the usual Indian and Chinese and wanted to try something different. The recipes are easy to follow and mostly very simple to execute. The combination of ingredients doesn't look like its going to be all that special when you start but the final results are surprisingly good. Most of the recipes are easy to do in advance, one pot stuff , so cooking for a number of people is easy and looks like you've put a lot of effort into it. So far we haven't found anything we didn't enjoy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are over 100 recipes photographed in this book and each of the recipes has the ingredients and instructions on one page and a clear photograph on the facing page. At the end of each recipe description there is a paragraph which outlines how to modify the recipe to give a variation on the original meal or how to make something to accompany the main dish, hence the mention on the cover for over 200 recipes. All recipes, including the alternatives, are included in the index so all can be easily located.

Most of the recipes in this "Tagines & Moroccan Dishes" collection are for 6 servings, and some for as much as 50 (although the servings are not 1 per person!). The introduction covers the basics of ingredients in this style of cooking and then there are instructions for how to make couscous and pastilla. The recipes are arranged into sections called: kernia & small first courses, soups, tagines, fish, kebabs & accompaniments, vegetables, couscous, pastilles and desserts & sweet things.

There are a wide variety of recipes; lots of tagines, couscous and kebabs, but more unusual things as well. The desserts and sweet things section has a particularly interesting and tasty looking selection! As with all the Hamlyn cookbooks, the photographs are bright, colourful and appetising so it's an attractive collection of recipes.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must say i adore these little cook books and have many from the sat, small enough to fit in a handbag to take with you on long trips, on holiday or even to read on the train or take to the supermarket to save writting a list of ingredients.
all in all i find this series of books infomative and in some ways tradtional and yet in others new and vibrant with many ideas ive never even thought of.
this one i was excited to get as i have no cook books for this style of cookery at all and to be honest i cannot wait to get started using it.the photos alone are enough to drive you to the kitchen to stave off hunger ... im hungrey even now just reviewing this book !

one recipe ( although simple) i cant wait to try is the meatball kebabs on page 146, basic but looks amazing.the book covers things iver never heard of but cannot wait to try as some of these things id never even consdered moroccan so that show how much i know !!!theres a great section in the front where it helps you through understanding things you may not be familiar with like cous cous and pulses, a bit of a brief explaination if you will to help everyone on their way to cooking fabulous food.
i can see this book getting an awful lot of use in the house as all the others do, they have fast become the family favourite cook books
highly recommended
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book presents a varied selection of Moroccan dishes, including many classics - the meatball tagine in a spicy tomato sauce with eggs broken into it to cook right at the end is a favourite of mine, especially when served with flatbreads to scoop it up.

It's nice to see that the recipes make up such components as the necessary spice combinations or harissa paste from scratch, though I would like to have seen some simple recipes for reusable components such as a ras el-hanout spice blend listed separately and referenced in other recipes so you can knock up a quantity in advance and have it ready for cooking several of the meals herein.

As in all these Hamlyn books, the 200 recipes are 100 recipes plus mostly variations on each; these are often quite lame in that the variation is often minor, though it is pleasing to see that in some cases the second recipe listed on a page is in fact an accompaniment to the main dish rather than a variation on it. Why can't we see this more often in these books? Indeed why can't we see this more often in all cookbooks?

Another downside of this series is that the size means it's not that easy for use whilst cooking as it does not lie open flat. But having said this at the price it's a reasonably decent basic collection of Moroccan recipes.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After my success with the Hamlyn curry book I moved onto this one which looked abit more complicated. I do not own a tangine and whilst you can make do without one, I went on the search and found some colourful ones in Aldi and they were great value at £15. The only downside is that they dont stock them all the time, however you can find them on Amazon if you chose to use one. (Its basically a casserole dish with a funnel shape lid).

I love the use of the vegetables in the recipes and it has introduced me to items I would normally not purchase as I didnt know what to do with them. Chick peas for example were something that I would rarely purchase but have found many ways of using them in cooking and thats thanks to this book.

There are 200 recipes and whilst some of them look abit complicated to cook at the moment, I am working my way through the book. The tangine itself is an excellent way of cooking and the meat is so tender and full of flavour. I am also getting more confident in using herbs and spices and learning which herb goes with which meat and I am able to use that knowledge when cooking other meals and not just recipes from this book.

Whilst its not my favourite book in the Hamlyn range, its certainly used and referred to often so it was worth getting.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the 8th Hamlyn 200 cookery book that I have. I like the size & format with 1 photograph for every recipe & its variations. Each book covers 1 theme.

This one is a very good introduction to Moroccan & Tagine cookery.

There is a very detailed description of how to make couscous - 9 little photographs, on 1 page, near the beginning; and also how to put together a pastilla with 9 photographs - a sort of pie with filo pastry - there are different recipes later on.

I must admit I do not have a tagine but will be using my slow cooker for these recipes or my cast-iron casserole dish on a low heat.

The savoury recipes that appeal to me are on first look are:

Chicken with parsley
Moroccan meatball tagine
Marinated minty lamb kebabs
Potatoes 'mchermel'
Rabbit in spicy sauce - and its variation rabbit tagine with prunes.

There are lots of sweet recipes and I will be trying caramelized nuts very soon as well as the date crescents - as I love date recipes.

The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are similar to some curry recipes but there is more emphasise on fruit - fresh or dried - such as apricots & dates and maybe not as much "heat".

Overall a cook first book on the subject.
VINE VOICEon 28 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After my recent visit to one of the London's Middle Eastern restaurant I realized I don't know anything about Moroccan cuisine so I ordered this book to learn more and try to recreate some of the dishes at home.

On the first pages the book explains about tagines (terracotta dishes used to cook) and ingredients used in Morocco, how to prepare cous-cous and pastilla. The rest of the book is dedicated to recipes which are divided into: kemia & small first courses, soups, tagines, fish, kebabs & accompaniments, vegetables, couscous, pastillas, desserts & sweet things.

The dishes look quite authentic comparing to the dishes I had in the Moroccan restaurant recently. The recipe that made me intrigued a bit was the Pigeon Pastilla, I definitely won't try it, leaving in London I don't think of pigeons as something you can eat. Luckily there is 199 other other recipes, I can't wait to prepare Aubergine 'Caviar' for instance.

Similar to other books from the same series, the recipes are very clearly written with separation for ingredients, method and amazing photographs on opposite side of the page. Yes, all of the recipes are coming with the image what is a big advantage, very important especially with foreign dishes that you don't know how they are supposed to look.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
North African and Moroccan Cooking is often overlooked in the UK in favour of Far Eastern and Asian cooking but if you are new to it you will find it rich in flavours and spice with the added hints that the combinations with fruit bring to it.

The book starts with explanations of the basics of Moroccan cooking including a foolproof recipe for couscous. Although some of these recipes are best prepared in a Tagine, if you haven't got one then a sturdy casserole dish will do.

The book has a wide range of salads, starters, mains, kebabs and desserts which my favourite is Lamb with Orange and Chickpeas (Pg 94) with Garlic Fried Chillies (Pg 54)

If you are new to Moroccan cooking and decide you want to take it to the next level, its best to invest in a Tagine to get the real depth from the dishes as well as providing a perfect oven to table dishware. Amazon have a range of them for sale. Traditional Moroccan Tagine Serves Up to 6 People with A Set of 3 Tagine Spice Blends and a Heat Diffuser

I am a great fan of the Hamlyn books, and like all of them this one links clear descriptions, simple ingredients with full colour enticing photos in a small handy size making it ideal to store to hand in the kitchen.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hamlyn's range of 200 recipe cookbooks is amongst the most appealing I have come across; they are all small enough to pop into a bag or pocket to accompany you on the trip to buy ingredients for a recipe, whilst being of sufficient size to make recipe preparation a breeze.

Each recipe occupies a double-page spread; a colour photograph of the finished recipe on one side and the method on the other. Recipes are easy to follow and the majority are not too demanding.

These books are inexpensive but very inspirational, particularly if you grow your own fruit and veg or have a produce box delivered each week. The book is rich on interesting and unusual ideas if you eat meat, poultry and fish.

I felt slightly disappointed by the relative dearth of vegetarian recipes and, unusually, many of the carnivore recipes didn't strike me as easy to adapt (although I do have my eye on fried pastries with goats cheese).

One section presents recipes to make with a tagine; I don't have one but a heavy casserole dish is adequate instead (phew!). If you are buying a tagine for yourself or as a gift, this book will provide a few interesting recipes and would be a useful 'side order' to accompany the tagine.