5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem if You Like Moroccan Food
The craze for tagine cookery started when the beautiful earthenware funnelled pots which the Moroccans use to cook their casseroles, became available in our shops. This is a great little book, even if you have not yet acquired a tagine, as it offers a large number of delicious Moroccan recipes from soups and pastries to couscous and tagines.

The contents are...
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by Brett H

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have used many of the Hamlyn 200 cookbook series and after enjoying a delicious Moroccan Lamb dish in the 200 Slow Cooker Recipe book, I hoped I would find more inspiration in this collection. The book is split into nine sections: Kemia and small first courses, Soups, Tagines, Fish, Kebabs & accompaniments, Vegetables, Couscous, Pastillas, and Deserts & sweet...
Published on 20 Oct 2012 by K. Wright

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 18 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A taste of the exotic, 27 Sep 2012
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My mum and dad came back from Morocco last year raving about the cuisine, and with a bag full of spices and ingredients. Never one to feel like my pensioner parents are keeping the fun to themselves, I thought I would explore the world of North African cookery with the help of this little book.

Big on spices (but not heat) and with tasty, hearty ingredients, including lots of pulses and vegetables, I can see the reason behind the parental plaudits. This is comfort food, Moroccan style, although I did have to give the numerous lamb and chicken dishes a miss as I don't eat meat. There is however a good number of recipes suitable for both fish eaters and vegis.

The book includes recipes for main courses, side dishes, starters, desserts and some of the little extras (like preserved lemons) essential to Moroccan cuisine. Each is photographed clearly in colour, and the methods are clearly written, if lacking a little personality. Access to a large supermarket (or the online versions) is probably needed for some of the ingredients, but many could be made or adapted from easily accessible supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy to follow, 20 Sep 2012
pete "big blue pete" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reflects the diverse range of cuisine available in different the different regions of Morroco. Ingredients are easy to source and the large format colour pictures are both enticing and appetising. Dates, lemon, chicken, olives, cumin, mint all classic northAfrican ingredients. There is an obvious French influence in the cuisine too and the chapter on deserts really put this across. An excellent low cost convenient addition to your library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the most inspiring cuisine., 20 Sep 2012
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like all the different ingredients used in Moroccan cookery, but the balance and mix of them continues not to excite me having looked through this book.

Compared with other recipe books in this series there are more recipes with ingredients that are difficult to source. I might be able to lay my hands on some fresh squid, but 2kg of anchovies, pigeons and fresh quail are beyond my local urban retail outlets.

The frequent use of groundnut oil may be authentic, but it isn't the healthiest of oils to be using on a regular basis.

I will not be using anything from this book in my repertoire, for that reason I am unable to rate it more than average.

3.0 out of 5 stars Least favourite of these books, 20 Sep 2012
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a huge fan of the Hamlyn All Colour '200' recipe cookbooks, and this is my fourth. While it still has the recipes laid out in an accessible and easy-to-follow way, and the photographs are great, I'm finding it less useful than the others.

A lot of the recipes are fairly similar, and not all the ingredients are easy to find. It's still a lot better than many recipe books, but think it's probably just for real fans of tagines and Moroccan dishes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of samey recipies, 20 Sep 2012
Ms. Danielle K. Smith - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was hoping for some inpriration with this book but the veggie recipes were all similar and didn't really inspire. And the meat recipes were ok but the pictures in the book didn't make me want to rush out and buy the ingredients. Having said that the book has a good sturdy cover and the recipes are easy enough to follow but I wouldn't say that I had all the ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, 20 Sep 2012
Basement Cat (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know how authentic the recipes in this little book are, but they all seem to be quite user friendly for the average British cook. Nearly all of the recipes use ingredients that you can find in larger supermarkets, and you don't have to go out and buy a tagine. There is a clear colour photograph of every recipe, and each one has a variation suggestion, which is part of the 200 recipes in the title.
All the recipes are wtitten in a clear, easy to follow way, and the majority are quite simple to prepare. The book shows you how to make main courses, deserts and starters, and also some of the main components that are used in their preparation. For example, the authors show you how to preserve your own lemons, and how to prepare couscous. This is a lovely little book, with so many marvellous recipes. In fact, the whole series of books is great, and such excellent value for money that you can't really go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars North African Goodness, 18 Sep 2012
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am increasingly impressed by the Hamlyn collection - small books with 200 recipes - at very little cost to the home cook.

Here you get a good range of dishes covering the joys of the spices, fruits and vegetables of Moroccan cuisine - made accessible to everyone.

Starters, soups, mains (including many tagines), sides and desserts - enough to encourage to create a wide range of north African banquets!

From making your own preserved lemons to spicing up your life with Harissa - this is an excellent little book - punching far above its weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little cookbook., 16 Sep 2012
Another Weasley (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not overly familiar with Moroccan dishes; however, having bought a tagine recently I thought I would give this book a try. It is a handy size recipe book with full page colour images throughout. The book is split into 9 recipe sections: Kemia and small first courses, Soups, Tagines, Fish, Kebabs and accompaniments, Vegetables, Couscous, Pastillas, Desserts and sweet things. As with other "200 recipe" books from this range there are not 200 individual recipes. Some of the recipes have tips underneath the main recipe saying how the recipe can be adapted to make another meal e.g. Marinated minty lamb kebabs can be changed to spicy lamb kebabs with ginger. However, it is a budget cookbook so I suppose that is ok.

I was disappointed that there were not more tagine recipes. It focusses more on Moroccan dishes which is fair enough but tagine is in the title so I was expecting a bit more! The recipes are easy enough to follow and most of the ingredients are standard food cupboard items or easily bought from a supermarket - I hate when you start to plan a meal with a recipe and find that half of the ingredients are hard to find or too expensive!
Overall, for the price it is ok but I think if you are looking for a specific tagine book then there might be better titles available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Simple but Glad Of That, 13 Sep 2012
Gregory Shanley (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have said the Hamyln All Colour Cookbook does include hot and cold dishes that are Tagines and Moroccan.

I love the cheery illustrations that I can imagine can keep many an amateur chef going epsecially when they are trying put a dish foir the first time.

I am not in a hurry to try the Rabbit dishes but thats me but I know some people who enjoy rabbit on a dish,that is.

Its a lovely compact little book,I have to say I'm sure I'll be giving one of the dishes a go,very soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes but I wasn't as inspired as I expected, 7 Sep 2012
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Hamlyn all-colour cookbook series contains cook books with 200 recipes of various styles, in this case Moroccan cuisine. The 200 count may seem a little misleading as the book is less than 240 pages and has 2 pages per recipe (one with words, one with a photo), but if you look at each recipe the base recipe can then be enhanced to make a second recipe (both recipes are included in the index so fair enough).

I've got a number of these books and am a fan; I'm also a fan of Moroccan cuisine (or at least I thought I was) - however, I can't say I found this book particularly inspiring. The recipes are well described and the photos are good, there's lots of variety in the recipes (kemia/snacks, soups, stews/tagines, vegetables, pastillas and desserts) but I've not been too inspired. My conclusion is that my knowledge of moroccan cuisine doesn't go far beyond tagines (yup, got those... the chicken k'dra has come out really well and the speedy spiced chicken tagine was a success as well) and baklavas (again, a recipe is included although my effort wasn't so great). There are some what I would describe as "Mediterranean" recipes which have come out well, notably minty lamb kebabs, but I didn't really like the sound of a lot of the recipes (eg. meatball kebabs, Tangiers-style anchovies, hake with saffron)

My conclusion therefore is that there's a lot of recipes here and it's a nice book to have as part of the set but I wasn't as inspired by the recipes as I have for others in the series.

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 18 | Next ›

200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Tagines & Moroccan Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook by Hamlyn Cookbooks (Paperback - 6 Feb 2012)