on 16 September 2002
Although the diagrams are wonderfully clear, and it is mostly based on the more obscure games (though it does include Cribbage, Gin Rummy and Bridge), it can take several re-reads of a sentence to make sense of how to play.
Most games come with example plays in the text and, once you are used to the author's style, you can pick up the games quit easily. It has a nice index and is also categorised by the number of players required. It includes several solitaire games and games for larger parties but focuses mainly on two- and four-player games.
Most games also include a brief paragraph about the history of the names or where it was commonly played.
Overall, quite good once you can "learn" how to read it.
on 29 August 2011
I bought this book because I was interested in finding some new card games to play with my family and have found it to be somewhat mixed. The games which have been selected are interesting and by grouping the games according to the recommended number of players it makes it easy to select a game to learn.

At this point however the book runs into trouble, it is very difficult to understand the game descriptions and how they work. This is because they are all taken from much older (40 + years in some cases) books and so the language and styles of explanations are very hard to follow. They seem to assume that the reader has a strong technical understanding of the mechanics of card gaming and so it will indicate that this is a `trick' based game and assume you understand what that means you have to do. In addition I suspect a lot of the descriptions have been edited to save space which makes it even harder to follow.

In the end I found myself using the book to find games which were worth playing and using the internet to learn how to play them.
on 3 February 2012
If you enjoy playing cards, this book is perfect. Lots of games, divided into sections of games for 2, 3 or 4 players, plus patience games. Clearly described, when you're learning a new game, and illustrations to help too.
on 17 February 2013
This was bought as a Christmas present for a friend's grandchild and it has proved very popular: a nice change from the electronic games.
on 19 March 2013
This book is brilliant. It is clear, concise and comprehensive and easy to follow. The writer(s) never patronise you. As a 'reference' book it cannot get old.
on 1 November 2011
a good book packed with a lot of information for the card enthusiast very good price, makes a nice present anytime.
on 27 October 2013
A great book and we will be able to learn quite a few card games,it was posted on time well wrapped and we woulw
recommend this Company to our friends.A1A1A1
on 1 December 2014
seems a good book, but a bit hard to understand the techniques given.

well written.
on 20 January 2014
As a keen card player, I loved it. It gives you quite a range of games listed according to number of players. Games are clearly explained. I discovered new ones as well as refreshing myself with rules of popular ones. It is quite a thick book but the title says "Complete"! For some reason, it took a long time - 3 months- to arrive but worth the wait!
on 29 December 2014
I purchased this book for my son and I in the hope it would refresh my memory, of fun card games. Unfortunately we both found it extremley difficult to follow and I would say the book is more suitable for professional and experienced card players. Very dissapponted.