4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but...
This is an excellent book, with clear instruction and very well presented, all the ones I have tried have been excellent.

Published on 17 Jan 2011 by Dicedan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought
Published on 20 Jan 2009 by Everyone's A Critic

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but..., 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Slow Cooker: Over 100 simple, delicious recipes (Paperback)

The only downside is most of the recipes are in Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 Slow Cooker Recipes (Hamlyn All Colour Cookbooks) which is by the same author, and currently £2.69, So if you already have that book I would not bother getting this one, or if your on a budget I would go for the cheaper one.

If you like your books well presented though, this is defiantly the one to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Dec 2008
Jamie Hawker "Torico" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a present for my mum, i'm super pleased, it's full of delicious recipes, well laid out with simple and easy to follow instructions and tips, each recipe comes alongside a beautiful large colour photo of the finished dish. Lots of categories to choose from like meat, puddings, soups & drinks to name a few, so you're never stuck for something new to try. Also has a great introduction, with so many tips on using your slow cooker & preparing ingredients. Excellent book, Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowtastic!, 4 Feb 2009
V. Bird "Ness" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
Ignore the two star review, I think this book is brilliant! Lovely modern pictures (no soggy carrots or boiled chicken skin), really inspiring and easy to read recipes, and a wonderful chapter on puddings. If I'd known a slow cooker was so versatile I would have bought one years ago, and I do think this book will help you make the most out of your slow cooker. Yes, with most of the recipes you do have to fry off your onions and brown your meat in a separate pan, but you don't have to (the end result just wouldn't be as tasty or look as appetising). Recipes include:

Celeriac soup with roquefort toasts
Salmon chowder with lime and chilli butter
Bloody mary soup with chilli oil
Brandied duck, walnut asnd green peppercorn terrine
Steak and mushroom pudding
Burgundy beef stew with horseradish dumplings
Kleftico style lamb
Kashmiri butter chicken
Pistachio and apricot pilaf
Red thai pumpkin curry
Spiced red cabbage
Coconut snd lime rice
White chocolate bread and butter pudding
Figgy pudding with cinnamon custard
Classic creme brulee
Sticky toffee apple pudding
Rum and raisin spotted dick
Poached apricots withcracked black pepper

There is a small chapter on chutneys and conserves which I don't think I will use, but the chapter on drinks looks good. I really fancy the lemon cordial recipe and I will also try the hot jamaican punch. Either way these two chapters are very small so it's no big deal if you don't use the recipes in them. There are more than enough other recipes to inspire you here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Slow Cooker: Over 100 Simple, Delicious Recipes by Sara Lewis, 5 Feb 2011
Im no cook, however everything I have made from this book has been outstanding. My husband is so impressed. Ive been raving about it ever since I purcahased it. My favourites include Malaysian beef and aubergine curry and Greek style lamb shanks. There are so many more I still cant wait to try. I would without a doubt recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought, 20 Jan 2009
One of the main reasons I bought a slow cooker was that I wanted tasty, flavourful meals without needing to create lots of mess, or spend hours on my feet. This book does have some nice main meal recipes in it, but frankly it wastes a lot of space with recipes for hot drinks and vegetables - why on earth would you cook carrots in a slow cooker, as opposed to a conventional hob or even microwave? Surely, the main appeal of a slow cooker is that it allows you to add the food, go away and leave it, and come back to it after work when your food is cooked. Neither do I see how using the slow cooker to make desserts which require previous cooking on hobs etc. is either practical or desirable. Overall, the book shows the wide range of food you can do in a slow cooker, but it escapes me why you would bother to do some dishes in a slow cooker when you must also pre-cook them in other appliances so it seems rather fruitless to crowbar the slow cooker in at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 31 Aug 2009
Mrs. R. Dodman (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is just wonderful. Having around 20 differing cookbooks on my bookshelf, this has to be the most versatile, and most used of them all. While enjoying people for dinner (and cooking for my family), but workin/studying full time, this book will take all the pressure of cooking when you're rushing in from work, or picking the kids up from school. With recipes ranging from 2 hours or 10 hours in the slow cooker you can plan a meal for whatever the circumstance/time allowance. In addition, this book has an amazing variety of dishes, from soups and casseroles to puddings, meat loafs, curries and drinks .... a beautifully simple book I can only highly recommend it. Recipes include: gingered carrot soup, salmon chowder with lime and chilli butter, mujaddarah, lamb hotpot, dolmades, smoked salmon timbales, brandied duck, walnut and green peppercorn terrine, malaysian beef and aubergine curry, steak and mushroom pudding, braised oxtail with port, mince and macaroni, bobotie, Thi bo kho, kleftico-style lamb, spiced pork chops with sweet potato, kashmiri butter chicken, caribbean chicken, gingered chickpeas, pumpkin and carrot cobbler, pilaf's, risotto's, squid in puttanesca sauce, saffron baked potatos, figgy pudding with cinnamon custard, jewelled rice pudding, baked vanilla cheesecake, classic creme brulee, triple chocolate cake and many many more recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well presented, 29 Mar 2009
Recipes are presented in 8 different parts: soups & starters; meat, poultry & game; vegetable dishes; fish & seafood; accompaniments; desserts; chutneys & conserves; drinks. The introduction gives the basics of slow cooking; always useful for somebody new to it or to remind one of good practice and practical tips with slow cookers.

All recipes are explained to provide a dish for 4 people, with details of preparation time, cooking time, and cooking temperature. Most are lavishly illustrated with a full page picture across the book gutter from the explanation of a recipe.

The cooking time is the rather crucial information as one will need to know when to start preparing the ingredients before a day at work, or when being back home at the end of the day.

Most recipes require preparation of the ingredients before putting them in the slow cooker, which might be an inconvenience to some, if one is not too keen on frying chicken thighs early in the morning before heading to work...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever slow cook book., 26 Oct 2009
Mr. George Ryder (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
I tend to always get drawn to books or cookbooks in stores and have a fair share of slow cookbooks. However, the Ultimate slow cooker book is the best.

Since it has arrived i have made three dishes all of which are 5 star and look forward to doing more.

The page is clear to read, the instructions are top notch, and the tips or suggestions are spot on.

I since receiving this book have thrown several slow cookbooks out as I have never tried any of them...............I hope she brings out another one soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My most favorite cook book ever, 26 May 2009
I bought this book last week and have already made 3 dishes from it and can see at least another 4 I want to do. I have a family of 5 and work as well, so time is precious. Although in the morning I do have to chuck it all in a pan briefly, it has meant that dinner has been more interesting this last week.

While I do understand the other reviewer's frustration at the number of drinks, side dishes and desserts, there are still more main meal recipes and variety in this book than any of my other slow cooker books. The range of dishes is so diverse as it isn't just full of stews. The rice dishes are inspired as it means that in the evening no extra cooking is required at all.

I can't praise this book enough and have actually actively encouraged friends of mine to invest too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this one, 9 April 2010
I came accross this book at the libary and after trying out some of the recipes.I
went and ordered my own copy. Lovely book. For those who are new to slow cooking.
I suggest you cook up a batch and freeze the rest into portions.
For a roast dinner brown your joint in a frying pan then pop into pre heated slow
cooker with 1/2 cup boiled water and and herbs 3-4 hrs on high.Lovely and tender.
Try the 7 Veg.stew in this book very tasty. There are a lot of recipes in this
book calling to me.

Ultimate Slow Cooker: Over 100 simple, delicious recipes
Ultimate Slow Cooker: Over 100 simple, delicious recipes by Sara Lewis (Paperback - 3 Nov 2008)