Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 20 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook number fourteen in my collection! I love these little books, & this edition lives up to the high standard of the other thirteen I have. It's just a shame that our British Summer has meant we haven't had a single barbecue at our house this year!!! Of course, because of this, I have cooked none of the recipes here on a barbecue. Luckily, quite a number can be cooked indoors, on a griddle pan. The tuna tataki salad & asian dressing worked extremely well as only the tuna needed griddling: a simple flash-fry. The dish contained fresh, sharp flavours & is a meal I will repeat on a regular basis. In fact, I should think all of the dishes in the salads, sauces & marinades section can be cooked without the use of a barbecue. Ditto the dishes in the taste tempters section. It was easy to cook the simple but delicious yakitori chicken skewers on a griddle pan. Another successful recipe is the tomato, pesto & olive pizza. I have to admit that I made the dough in my breadmaker, & when it was all assembled (with the addition of anchovies), I put it in the oven on my pizza baking stone. It was gorgeous, & just as delicious cold the next day. Another recipe I have done is the citrus, chilli & fresh thyme oil. It's a no-cook delight, perfect drizzled over salads, & I have brushed it over white fish fillets before putting under the grill.
As with all these Hamlyn books, there are two hundred recipes, one per page, with a colour photograph of the finished product. The recipes are simple to follow & simple to make. The results, so far, have been excellent, & I look forward to a better Summer next year so I can try them out on the barbecue!! Highly recommended.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 15 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've got a few from this Hamlyn all colour cookbook range and I must say they are great little recipe books. They are all full colour page pics, great recipes (around 200) which are described in full detail and really offer a large range of recipes for all tastes and abilities - and this barbecue offering is no different! They really are an absolute bargain at this price!

This barbecue recipe book is 240 pages and full of hints and tips with barbecues (what equipment you'll need etc)

There are then seven sections which make up the body of the book: taste tempters, steak and ribs, kebabs, burgers and hot dogs, seafood, vegetarian dishes, salads, sauces and marinades, and lastly sweet treats.

There is some overlap in the sections. the first one - taste tempters are just smaller types of the other sections really and offer "light bites" with prawns, chicken, goats cheese etc The yakitori chicken skewers were very tasty though when I had a go at this recipe!

The steak and ribs section is exactly that with a different take on some firm faves like hoisin ribs. The thing I really must have a try at some time though is the rum and maple pork belly - that one sounds (and looks) wonderful!

The kebabs, burgers and hot dogs section I found a little dull to be honest with nothing much there to whet my appetite - all quite normal (dull) recipes - but that's just my taste and opinion.

The seafood section is more my kinda thing with some really mouth watering new recipes for me - I will definitely be giving the "buttery lobster tails with aioli" (p.126) a go in the not too distant future! Being a confirmed meat eater there's not a great deal I could find to tempt my taste buds in the veg section - but I am sure there are plenty of recipes there if you are a veggy type. The big flat mushroom burgers (p.154 "mushroom burgers with onion jam") looks really tasty though.

The salads and sauces section is more as accompaniments really rather than actual barbecued items but plenty here to add to your barbecue experience. The sweet section was one that intrigued me as I was interested to know what they would do with fruit but a couple of recipes have already caught my eye - the mango with strawberry ice (p.202) for instance and my wife often cooks bananas and sugar in foil and they are fantastic so would recommend those on page 214.

All in all there really are some great little recipes here and another great collection to my cookery book shelf!
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As with the other Hamlyn 200 recipe books, this ones comes in the smaller (half A4 size) format which is very well finished. The recipes are split into a number of categories which are colour coordinated ensuring it is easy to find the recipes you want. The book also continues the layout of a double page spread for recipe, method etc with a photograph opposite which shows you a clear image of the recipe you are making.

As for the recipes, there is a good selection of different recipes including traditional burgers, hotdogs and kebabs, as well as perhaps the less obvious vegetarian, salads and sweet recipes which I found both interesting and enticing. There are also a number of sauces and marinades which are probably my favourite and most used recipes in the book as they cover a whole range of different flavours and work equally well with non-bbq foods.

One slight issue I had is that, as in other Hamlyn 200 recipe books, some of the method for the recipes is truncated and less descriptive than it needs to be. More of a problem, for me at least, was the fact that the recipes all too often required the use of a kitchen and cooker. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but given that this is supposed to be a BBQ recipe book, I found it oddly disappointing to have to use the cooker in advance of using the BBQ which often left me wondering why I would even bother using the barbeque if I could just cook it in my kitchen. I bought a smoker a few years back and being told to cook something in my kitchen prior to finishing it on a BBQ somwhat ruined the strange romance I have about barbequing, although I know that won't necessary apply to all, hence the 4 stars.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 9 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hamlyn have produced these full colour cookbooks for decades - I have one that was my mothers which is about 4 times the size of this little book. This book is small 14 cm (15.5 inches) wide by 17 cm (6.5 inches) high by 1.5 cm (0.5 inch) deep. It has 240 pages, BUT only pages 16 to 233 are recipe related.

The book is divided into 7 chapters:

~ taste tempters;
~ steak and ribs;
~ kebabs, burgers and hot dogs;
~ seafood;
~ vegetarian dishes;
~ salads, sauces and marinades;
~ sweet treats.

We eat with our eyes (especially when we have no other stimuli) and this book takes that into account with stunningly mouth-watering images of each and every dish.

Every recipe has a page to itself and the facing page for a colour photo, so this definitely does not add up to 200 recipes - it is somewhere around 109 recipes. They get away with it because they include alternative ingredients in the count.

I've only been able to try a few of these recipes, but I have already discovered a few to add to the list of family favourites.

Including:

* lemon grass chicken kebabs;
* Cypriot chicken and haloumi salad;
* hoisin ribs;
* bbq spare ribs;
* bbq chocolate banana.

All the recipes can be made using the oven as well as on the barbeque.

As always, with any recipe book, there are recipes that I like and those I stomach.

I have a of issues with the book: the preparation and cooking times (especially with meats) are the minimum that it will probably take you; and because it is such a small compact book the only ways to keep it open are to either try and weigh the pages down or break the spine (and you should never break the spine of a book).

In the books favour (other than the recipes) is the fact that no author is telling us their life story or how they enjoyed their trip to wherever. I don't have a problem with people having a nice holiday or giving their life story an airing but, personally, really I don't want to have to wade through pages of memoirs to find a recipe.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've now managed to build up quite a collection of these Hamlyn 200 cook books and while the quality of recipes in each book varies, this one is one of the better ones.

The book is quite compact which can be a good or bad thing, some prefer a big book with large print that is easy to read in the middle of cooking, some prefer a smaller one that doesn't take up limited counter space.

The book opens up with some general info on the history of the word barbecue and how to light a BBQ, types of fuel, tools you may need, and a few other bits and pieces then it's straight into the recipes which are broken into half a dozen chapters such as Meat, Fish, etc.

Each recipe takes up a double page spread with a picture on one side and the recipe and ingredients on the other. The recipes themselves are all fairly straightforward and use basic techniques so if you're not a michelin starred chef you won't have anything to worry about. Ingredients are listed clearly with your usual step by step instructions and at the end of each recipe is a handy tip such as some alternative ingredients to give a slightly different dish or a useful bit of cooking advice.

I did wonder how they come up with 200 recipes just for a BBQ's and the answer is that they have taken a few liberties by using recipes that aren't done on the BBQ at all but more stuff you could serve at one.

There's nothing truely ground breaking, original or innovative in here but that's not what the Hamlyn cook books are really about, they're mainly a nice reference point for straight forward food and that's exactly what you get at a bargain price and i'll definitely be adding a few of the recipes, such as the lemon grass kebabs, to my BBQ arsenal.

I did dither between 3 and 4 stars for this review but plumped for 4 in the end because the book is so useful that it didn't deserve and 'average' mark even though the recipes are a little basic.
on 23 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What makes a good cookbook? It depends on the reason it was bought. If you just want an instruction book to turn out adequate meals consistently, then big print, simple formats and a lack of distractions (like photographs). If on the other hand you seek inspiration then the large coffee table jobs with lush colour photos and lists of ingredients anyone would have in their store cupboard (if they happen to be a pro. chef with a TV contract and a penchant for publishing) are called for.
This little volume (like its companion volumes) is a good cookbook. It's small enough to be easily accessable. It has excellent photographs showing the results of following the instructions... and the instructions are SIMPLE and EASY TO FOLLOW. Good straightforward instruction.
There is a foreword giving hints on barbecuing, the use of different types of barbie, charcoal, gas, cheap disposable.... Vital information regarding food safety in handling and storage, and emphasising the need to make sure your meat is done all the way through... basic info that normally gets ignored until the Monday collywobbles following the Sunday cookout.
Once you know how and why the book gets into the sort of recipes that will get you out at the supermarket buying the necessary to get out and grilling come the weekend.
The food shown is simple to do, looks wonderful and I don't doubt is wonderful to eat.
I know I'll be trying these both on the barbie and in the griddle pan in the kitchen, and I reckon that makes this a good cookbook.
on 7 July 2012
I bought this as I'm not into burnt sausages and burgers, with this book its easy to find tasty and varied recipes for a 'foodie'. This book has made me rethink my approach to a BBQ, gone is using it once in a blue moon but for daily meals.
Clear instructions, good sections and recipes to cover apetisers, mains and puds. I can't wait to try the chicken stuffed with mozarella and parma ham. Yum.
If I have to be picky, a party menu, for a large group of people would have been good, but that's if I have to find fault. Recommended to all.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Seasonal cookery books can't be a publisher's greatest asset. Christmas, admittedly, starts round about mid August but spare a thought for culinary volumes devoted to that most elusive of native creatures, the Great British Barbecue. With meteorologists gushingly informing us that we have just had the wettest summer for a hundred years it is a brave publisher indeed who will bring out a book devoted to all things al fresco.
A toast then to Hamlyn for doing just that and filling it with some new, exciting recipes to try on the charcoal next time the sun shines for long enough. Divided into seven self explanatory chapters everything is in here for a truly successful barbecue from skewers, bruschetta and wings through more ornate steak and fish dishes to salads, sauces and marinades before a welcome section on the delights of barbecued desserts. The chapter dealing with vegetarian dishes is a little thin and somewhat lacklustre but this is my only major criticism in what is otherwise a wisely chosen and beautifully photographed collection. At the time of writing this review the clocks are on the point of going back to herald the end of British Summer Time; these 200 recipes are guaranteed to be read and re read during the dark Winter months in the hope that the opportunity to fire up the barbecue will both be early and as rewarding as this colourful collection.
VINE VOICEon 30 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a couple of other Hamlyn 200 books (Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Healthy Feasts and Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Easy Suppers: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Ideas). This barbecue 200 is equally good, providing a wide array of recipes split into the following categories:

Taste tempters (basically starters)
Steak and ribs
Kebabs, burgers and hot dogs
Seafood
Vegetarian dishes
Salads, sauces and marinades
Sweet treats

There is also an index, so if you have some ingredients in the fridge it is easy to find something to do with them.

Each recipe comes with a picture, and the instructions are uniformly easy to follow. There are not usually too many ingredients involved in each dish (which is the way I like things). Preparation and cooking times are set out at the top of each recipe (and are usually pretty accurate for the amateur cook - and as such I'd recommend Jamie Oliver take a look at this book to find out what an amateur can actually do in 15 or 30 minutes).

From this book, I'd especially recommend the Mediterranean couscous salad, potato skins with soured cream dip and chicken & mozzarella skewers. The range of ingredients used across the book is pretty broad, so there should be something in here to suit everyone.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I find the Hamlyn range of 200-recipe cookery books provide excellent value with a huge number of appealing recipes housed in a neat package that can easily be taken to the shops for ingredient purchasing, whilst being of sufficient size to make recipe preparation a breeze.

Each recipe occupies a double-page spread; a colour photograph of the finished recipe on one side and the method on the other. Many of the recipes are quite simple and not too challenging although several do require a fair degree of preparation to be undertaken before you can think about heating up the barbecue.

The selection includes starters and desserts as well as main courses of meats and seafood. A handful of vegetarian mains have also been thrown in for good measure; although not something I have ever thought about preparing on a barbecue, a tomato, pesto and olive pizza is now on the agenda.

Whilst some of the recipes are fairly basic (baked sweet potatoes with mustard & thyme butter for example), I found the book helped me to think beyond the 'usual' burgers, sweetcorn and chicken and to be a little more adventurous with the barbecue. If you feel similarly at a loss for ideas, this little book might just have the answer or at least give you some ideas that you can adapt to suit.