5.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something here!
Published on 9 Feb 2011 by B. Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars 200 is pushing it a bit!
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something here!, 9 Feb 2011
B. Fox (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 200 One Pot Meals: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 One Pot Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this book months ago and it has to be one of the best on my book shelf! What I could not understand were all the negative reviews. Looking more closely - seeing as so many referred to breadmakers - I realise they are reviewing the wrong book. This is 200 one pot meals, not 200 bread recipes! How did this happen. These recipes are superb, easy to follow and every one I have made has been a huge hit with the family. I don't even recall seeing a bread recipe in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide selection of standard meals, 2 May 2013
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good choice of low hassle, hearty food, that you can prepare in a small kitchen. Small enough to fit in any drawer and with inviting colour plates of each dish, to wet your appetite.

Chili, curry, paella, soups, lasagne, risottos, hot pots, casseroles, coq au vin, Morrocan, Thai, Chinese and vegetarian, are all covered.

Foodies might complain that there is a lack of innovation and excitement, but so what? Not everyone wants to spend their leisure time tinkering with the classics. Besides once you have the basic balance of a dish correct, then you can use you own imagination to create variations, within your own budget.

Whether you are a young person starting out, or a mature person who needs the odd reminder, this is a good practical book to have at hand.

All this for under a fiver, has to be rated as a top bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, Handy and Inspirational, 23 Mar 2012
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My wife's review:
This handy little book is great for getting ideas for meals when you are in a hurry, and it takes up very little space in the kitchen drawer. Beautifully illustrated so that you can see what the food is supposed to look like, it gives inspiration when you get home from work and have to cook another meal. Recipes for one-pot meals are very useful for camping too, as you can cook them on a stove in the tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little book, 19 Jan 2012
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is small enough to fit in your handbag when you go shopping, and that's what I do, just to check I've got everything I need for a quick and easy supper using a recipe from inside the book.

I honestly can't recommend this highly enough for busy people who want to eat 'proper' food, yet who don't have the time always for complex recipes. We've eaten a dozen of the meals in this book now, they've all tasted fantastic, none has had a stupid number of ingredients (or ingredients that you can't find at the local supermarket), and they're all quick and easy to prepare. Sometimes you do need to use more than one pot during preparation, but that's the tiniest quibble.

I have found the book indispensable. It's as cheap as buying a branded 'ready-meal' yet will provide you with ideas for 200 separate dishes. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars 200 is pushing it a bit!, 12 Jan 2012
Amazon Customer (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to point out, the book is called 200 One Pot Meals. The recipes start on page 16 and run to page 234 with a recipe on one page and the appropriate photograph on the opposite page so there can't possibly be 200 meal recipes in the book. I can only assume they are counting any minor variations as separate entries, along with additional notes, like making your own chicken stock required for a meal instead of buying it pre-made. Maybe it's me, but that seems a bit of a cheat.

As for the book itself, it's a nice compact size, nicely laid out and very easy to read along with some attractive photographs of each dish so you know what the end result should look like.

The recipes themselves are another matter entirely. I found the range pretty disappointing. There was a lot of international style recipes and in the main everything seemed to involve a lot of spices or special ingredients which may or may not be obtainable depending where you live. There were several things I'd never heard of that you certainly can't buy in our local shops. There also wasn't any plain cooking, so if you don't have adventurous eating habits or don't like spicy food then this book probably isn't for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy family cook book, 23 May 2012
S. Jones (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained this book together with another in the series, '200 Fast Family Favourites' and can only compliment this book as I have found from the recipes tried, it really is a 'One Pot' cook book.

Contents are an Introduction outlining basic ingredients, cooking equipment etc. Recipes are split into four categories, namely Poultry and Game; Fish; Meat; Vegetarian. Each recipe is accompanied by a picture of how your efforts should look. Recipes range from the relatively easy Sausage and Sweet Potato Hash to Dill and Mustard Baked Salmon or the Chicken and Seafood Paella requiring a bit more work. In general the instructions are easy to follow, making the cooking process easier.

I would recommend this book to both experienced cooks and those who 'can't cook'.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for all cookery book shelves, 10 Feb 2012
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice little (Iiterally it is a little book - 17 cms x 14 cms) book with appetising coloured photos of every meal. One problem was that it didn't want to stay open while I was cooking, however over-coming my natural reluctance, I broke the spine and it did lay nice and flat then. It doesn't make any special claim to be a vegetarian cook book, but it does contain 22 vegetarian recipes. Also, applying my normal loose interpretation of recipes I cooked some of the meat ones without the meat, or substituting Quorn with good results. I took a number of useful bits of inspiration from the book, the biggest revelation being to put ginger with sweet potatoes. Fantastic. I hadn't really fully grasped sweet potatoes before. Another recipe that will be a regular on the household menu is the beetroot risotto, with just a minor adjustment for portion size. For us 500gms of rice for 4 servings is a bit too generous. It's also a nice book to browse when you're looking for something outside of the normal `running order' to brighten up the dinner table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Size isn't everything, 20 Jan 2012
M. O. HAYNES "couch magpie" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think the compact format of the 'hamlyn 200' range of cookery books is great; they are small, feature full colour photos for pretty much all the recipes and yet there are 200 recipes in each book - pretty much the same as you would get in much bigger tomes from the 'celebrity' chefs and at a much smaller price. I have a few now and they look good together on the shelf.

'One Pot Meals' has a really good range of recipes for one pot meals mostly made from ingredients that you can find in any good supermarket. There is also an international flavour to the book which features recipes for bakes, casseroles, stir-frys, pies, risottos and soups from all over the world such as Spain, Japan, Greece, Morrocco, France, Italy, Mexico as well as good ol' Blighty. I found this book more inspirational than a lot of the big name books that are sitting gathering dust on my kitchen shelf. There is a good introduction and a vegetarian section with 23 recipes (try '200 veggie Feasts' in the same range for more).

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE COOKBOOK!, 20 Jan 2012
Jason Jesson "Jason J" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It dosent matter what time of year it is, we're all busy and need some quick and easy ideas.

As a collector of cookbooks, I was incredibly impressed with the simplicity and easy to follow recipes that are also geared towards everyday living. What I mean here is that the recipes contain ingredients that I could by on my way home from even the most basic of supermarkets, no hunting around for organic chick peas or maltese prawns!

Many of the dishes can be doubled or more to allow for freezing and reheat later, so you can fill an oven with meals to last days.

I cant understand any negative reviews about this little book, it's quick, easy and is only a couple of pounds to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Pot Meals, 12 Jan 2012
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Hamlyn all colour cookbook one pot meals is another in their great series of easy to follow recipes in one compact book at a good price. The recipes are set out well and the instructions are easy to follow with a photograph to accompany them. The idea of one pot meals is appealing as not so much dishes to use and clean! Unfortunately there wasn't so much recipes in this book which I wanted to make hence the 3 stars. There is however a wide variety but some of the ingredients I wasn't sure I could get easily in my local supermarket! Overall, these books are good value and worth having.

200 One Pot Meals: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 One Pot Recipes