Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The letterbox rattles. It's the postman (actually an overburdened postweasel!)
The sound of ripping cardboard is followed by a loud scream from the hallway.
Mrs Wolf got there first. "Wolfie have you finally gone stark raving mad!!"

The arrival in The Wolfcave of the 'Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook - 200 Veggie
Feasts' seems to have upset the wife and one can understand her point of view.
Canids are not, after all, best known for their love of good-for-you greenstuff.
However, in the spirit of open-mindedness and experimentation I thought that
giving the concept a try was worth a shot. I'm always open to new adventures!

Veggies get a bit of a hard time in a predominately carnivorous (or at least
omnivorous) society. Many restaurants still pay lip service to those diners who
choose, for whatever reason, not to eat meat or fish. You know the sort of
thing; the bland uni-colour ratatouille tagged on to the bottom of the menu
(and how many caramalized onion and goat's cheese tarts can any one human
be expected to eat in a lifetime?!) as a cursory afterthought. It's a raw deal.

Although this book could hardly be said to be innovative when it comes to
its subject, there are, nonetheless, more than a few attractive and tasty
recipes on offer. The instructions are easy to follow and would be well
within the capacity of a reasonably confident home cook to reproduce.

I particularly like the idea of the 'Fennel, Pernod and Orange Casserole'
and will be putting it to the test this weekend. Some of the deserts look
scrummy too : the 'Grilled Fruits With Palm Sugar' and the 'Banana & Fig
Filo Pastry' are certainly strong contenders for those with a sweet tooth.
The various soups and salads, however, are more that a tad lacklustre.

With so many other good vegetarian cookbooks currently available it's hard
to know why one might choose this tome over any other but in its favour
simplicity and clarity of instructions are on its side. The photos are good.

Mrs Wolf seems to have calmed down a bit now and is thumbing through it
(albeit with one eyebrow raised in something approaching scorn), so I have
hopes that we will be in line to at least give it a go. For now, however,
the smell of one of her delicious rabbit pies is wafting in from the kitchen.
Methinks tonight's supper is almost ready and tomorrow is, indeed, another day!

Bon Appetit!
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having eaten an exclusively vegetarian diet for 11 years, I had fallen into a repetitive eating cycle which provided balanced nutrition but lacked excitement. I cooked for speed and nutritional value rather than flavour. Enter this excellent little book and a whole new culinary dimension. The recipes are delicious and, for the most part, relatively uncomplicated.

The chapters are conveniently divided into: (1) breakfast & brunch; (2) starters & snacks; (3) main meals; (4) soups & stews; (5) salads & sides; (6) breads & baking; (7) desserts.

My favourites are the all-in one veggie breakfast, the sweet potato & fontina panini, the sage & goats' cheese frittata, the spinach & ricotta cannelloni, the mushroom soup with truffle butter, and the cherry & cinnamon zabaglione. The full-colour photographs that accompany the recipes are mouth-watering, but the proof of the pudding is - literally - in the tasting...and these dishes taste outstanding.

If you're a vegetarian who wants to spice up your diet, this book is exactly what you need. Equally, if you don't eat an exclusively vegetarian diet but want to broaden your culinary repertoire, the recipes in this excellent book are just the thing.

Coming in at a bargain price, this book is a useful staple of any kitchen.

Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a vegetarian but I'm not adverse to picking the vegetarian option when out for a meal, nor rustling something meat free for tea at home. This is a nicely packaged, colourful cook book that will help add a bit of variety to your everyday cooking, although how much of it would be new to a dedicated veggie is a question I couldn't answer.

There's all kinds of different types of recipe (even if about half of them seem to include cheese), both savoury and sweet, with most of them being fairly easy to cook. In fact I'd say there's nothing here that would cause anyone who has at least a little bit of home kitchen experience much problems.

Generally the ingredients are readily available though some dishes make use of things I would think would not be in your random kitchen cupboards.

All in all a good little book packed full of nice recipes.
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a carnivore with a liking for veggie meals I was looking for a cookbook that could give me simple ideas for alternative dinners rather than haute cuisine. This book certainly fits the bill.

Giving options for breakfast & brunch, starters and snacks, main meals, soups & stews, salads & sides, bread & baking and desserts, there is something for everyone.

One particularly helpful thing is a description of some of the more unusual ingredients and what to use as a substitute if you are unable to get the specified item, or which types of shops would stock it.

Some of the recipes are extremely basic (or a twist on a basic idea) such as 'eggy bread' and 'boiled egg &soldiers'! So don't expect anything too fancy or impressive!

This is ideal for someone who musts wants some easy ideas on meals without meat that are simple and tasty.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My partner and I are always trying to eat less meat and he in particular can be a bit hard to please! I have looked at a lot of vegetarian cookbooks over the years and to be honest I find them all a bit "samey". This is really no exception. Same old bruschetta, same old scrambled eggs with something added, veggy curries that I can invent myself,plus some bizarre-sounding combinations that sound a little bit desperate, frankly. I am sure I am probably being over-critical, being primarily a carnivore, but it would take something more than this to convert me. If you are already a vegetarian and have a range of cookbooks, then I doubt you will find much new to tempt you here.
on 22 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The size of this book is just right for popping in a rucksack. Would recommend for university students who want a light book in terms of weight but plenty of recipes (200) to choose from. The variety of recipes available is wide, the photos appealing and the instructions concise and easy to follow.

A good starter book for vegetarians and even for omnivores who want to pep up their veggie dishes. The book gets full marks both on the quality and quantity of the recipes.

Favourite recipes include winter vegetable and beer broth, vegetable kebabs with pilaf, grilled vegetables and couscous, bean lemon and rosemary hummus.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2012
This is a terrific, handy little book that makes vegetarian meals that don't need weirdo ingredients, don't taste like they're missing something, in fact don't even feel vegetarian - they just don't have meat in them.

As you might have guessed by now, I am NOT a vegetarian. When I find that a friend has converted I always ask (and never have answered) the simple question, "what do you eat?". This is not the glib jibe of the entrenched carnivore; I genuinely struggle to think of what to do with a pile of vegetables that aren't soup or accompaniments to some form of flesh.

So this is pretty much my perfect veggie cook book - recipes that are simple without being patronising, with some thrown in that might challenge the palate but nothing too fancy or needing a specialist vegetable shop: the all-in-one veggie breakfast is tasty and filling; sweetcorn and kaffir lime fritters are refreshing and zingy; the roasted stuffed peppers one of the better versions I've tasted, with the dash of balsamic vinegar and sprig of thyme (although I do like a bit of feta cheese crumbled in there too); a caramel apple crumble that takes no time (or great skill!) to make but tastes as good as any.

There's no annoying personality cult of the media cookery author obfuscating the recipes in this little book, and every recipe comes with a colour picture, which non-cooks like me will find very helpful indeed. Prep and cooking times are reasonable and everything I've cooked from this has worked first time.

The book suggests in its own blurb that it has "200 mouthwatering veggie recipes that will tempt even committed carnivores" and I have to say, it fully succeeds.
on 4 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a handy small format book (14 x 16.5cm) containing an excellent selection of vegetarian recipes giving lots of alternatives to the usual cheese & pasta type options.

Each recipe is on a 2 page spread with the recipe on one side (and all are fairly simple), and a full page picture the opposite side. The book is split into sections on Breakfast & brunch, starters & snacks, main meals, soups & stews, salads & sides, breads & baking, desserts. The variety is excellent with the emphasis on fresh and healthy ingredients and recipes inspired by world cuisines. Due to the aforementioned deviation from cheesy pasta/potato based meals, a lot of the recipes are also suitable or adaptable for vegans (though not labelled as such).

I rarely follow cookbooks as I tend to experiment with whatever is in the fridge, but the lovely tempting pictures have encouraged me to try out some new and interesting taste combinations. For example potato, chickpea and cashew curry delicious; mushroom & ginger wontons impressive; pumpkin soup with olive salsa wholesome with zing; fennel, pernod and orange casserole a whole new taste challenge! Not every recipe tried lives up to the mouthwatering photo but it certainly demonstrates that veggie food is not boring. There is even a short guide at the front of the book for some of the more unusual ingredients.

The "200 feasts" of the title is a little bit of a cheat as there are actually about 100 odd recipes with a variation given after each to double up. I actually quite like this because it reminds you that you don't need to have everything on the ingredients list - you can make your own substitutions as well as the suggested variations. Some buyers might feel a little short changed though.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I already have the hamlyn 200 super soups book in this series, which is very good.

Same positive points count:
Great size - (about 17cm x 14cm) which is useful if worktop space is limited in the kitchen.
Great photos of every recipe (don't you want to cook it more when you can see what it should look like?)

I got this book because we have friends and relatives that are "veggie." For non veggie's like me it can prove a nightmare to know what to cook them that is not just boring veg or just whack a veggie burger in and serve with the accompaniaments that all else are eating.

I like the idea of making a veggie dish for everyone that is appealing and appetising and this is where the book comes in handy.

Like my other hamlyn book the recipes are sorted into different categories which is very useful:
1. Breakfast and Brunch
2. Starters and Snacks
3. Main Meals
4. Soups and Stews
5. Salads and Sides
6. Breads and Baking
7. Desserts.

So you also get some sections which would generally be "veggie" friendly anyway, but either way it is a wide scope of recipes to choose from to cover entire meals.

Each recipe is very well laid out, ingredients featuring in the left hand third or the page with the right hand two thirds covering the instructions which are well written and easy to follow.

As with most cook books there are some fancy/ridiculous ones that you're not going to try but add to the variety on offer but you do get a lot of choice for when you entertain your "veggie" friends and the "non veggies" will no doubt also enjoy the options available too.
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although I'm not currently a practicing vegetarian I do like to have vegetarian now and then. I'm also currently cooking a lot more again and wish to build up my recipes.

When the book first arrived I was struck by the size of it. Its very compact. My instant thought was it was a practical and likeable size, instead of some heave of a book. Its a book you can actually take anywhere with you to read. The limited cookbooks I've seen in use are too huge to carry with you or read for lengths of time. So just for that its a cute little book. Its also good for me as I've never really read a cookbook properly, although I do like reading.

So when you first flick through the book you notice that its got great photographs of the food dishes. The photo is on the right and the recipe is on the left. Its quite simple really, but effective. There is no real need to have a huge picture to get the idea of how the dish looks. Each picture presentation is really lovely. Louise must have painstakingly cooked every dish and created the best presentation. That takes a lot of time. Also the minimalism of the book also takes some thought as its easy to complicate but difficult to simplify.

I got some help reviewing the actual recipes. The feedback was the ingredients are a lot of fresh foods. My own thoughts are that I could make some of these dishes and progress onto more as I got more experienced.

The book has meals for different purposes. Breakfasts, main meals, snacks, soups, breads and bakes.

I would probably have to make a copy of the recipe when having a go as the book will fold on itself and not stay open. That's the disadvantage of a more compact book. One could write it out as well.