4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it Simple
While not quite pocket sized this handy little book,(just 16x14cm), takes the simple approach to make straightforward vegetable dishes.
Suitable for vegetarians but less so vegans this really wins out as a great way to introduce healthier meat free meals into a formally meat orientated diet.
The introduction, while clear & short, gives some helpful tips...
Published on 23 Jan. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Wide range of veggie recipes
I am slightly mystified by some of the reviews of this book. It isn't the 'best' or most innovative, exciting vegetarian cook book ever and it doesn't purport to be a vegetarian nutrition guide. That said, there are some nice recipes which are generally very easy & quick to prepare, and don't involve ingredients which wouldn't be found in any decently stocked larder. The...
Published on 12 Dec. 2011 by Marand

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little veggie cookbook, 4 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 200 Veggie Feasts: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Ideas (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a handy small format book (14 x 16.5cm) containing an excellent selection of vegetarian recipes giving lots of alternatives to the usual cheese & pasta type options.

Each recipe is on a 2 page spread with the recipe on one side (and all are fairly simple), and a full page picture the opposite side. The book is split into sections on Breakfast & brunch, starters & snacks, main meals, soups & stews, salads & sides, breads & baking, desserts. The variety is excellent with the emphasis on fresh and healthy ingredients and recipes inspired by world cuisines. Due to the aforementioned deviation from cheesy pasta/potato based meals, a lot of the recipes are also suitable or adaptable for vegans (though not labelled as such).

I rarely follow cookbooks as I tend to experiment with whatever is in the fridge, but the lovely tempting pictures have encouraged me to try out some new and interesting taste combinations. For example potato, chickpea and cashew curry delicious; mushroom & ginger wontons impressive; pumpkin soup with olive salsa wholesome with zing; fennel, pernod and orange casserole a whole new taste challenge! Not every recipe tried lives up to the mouthwatering photo but it certainly demonstrates that veggie food is not boring. There is even a short guide at the front of the book for some of the more unusual ingredients.

The "200 feasts" of the title is a little bit of a cheat as there are actually about 100 odd recipes with a variation given after each to double up. I actually quite like this because it reminds you that you don't need to have everything on the ingredients list - you can make your own substitutions as well as the suggested variations. Some buyers might feel a little short changed though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book in a great series, 26 Jan. 2012
P. Sharpe - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have the hamlyn 200 super soups book in this series, which is very good.

Same positive points count:
Great size - (about 17cm x 14cm) which is useful if worktop space is limited in the kitchen.
Great photos of every recipe (don't you want to cook it more when you can see what it should look like?)

I got this book because we have friends and relatives that are "veggie." For non veggie's like me it can prove a nightmare to know what to cook them that is not just boring veg or just whack a veggie burger in and serve with the accompaniaments that all else are eating.

I like the idea of making a veggie dish for everyone that is appealing and appetising and this is where the book comes in handy.

Like my other hamlyn book the recipes are sorted into different categories which is very useful:
1. Breakfast and Brunch
2. Starters and Snacks
3. Main Meals
4. Soups and Stews
5. Salads and Sides
6. Breads and Baking
7. Desserts.

So you also get some sections which would generally be "veggie" friendly anyway, but either way it is a wide scope of recipes to choose from to cover entire meals.

Each recipe is very well laid out, ingredients featuring in the left hand third or the page with the right hand two thirds covering the instructions which are well written and easy to follow.

As with most cook books there are some fancy/ridiculous ones that you're not going to try but add to the variety on offer but you do get a lot of choice for when you entertain your "veggie" friends and the "non veggies" will no doubt also enjoy the options available too.

5.0 out of 5 stars plenty of ideas here, 25 Jan. 2012
Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I'm not currently a practicing vegetarian I do like to have vegetarian now and then. I'm also currently cooking a lot more again and wish to build up my recipes.

When the book first arrived I was struck by the size of it. Its very compact. My instant thought was it was a practical and likeable size, instead of some heave of a book. Its a book you can actually take anywhere with you to read. The limited cookbooks I've seen in use are too huge to carry with you or read for lengths of time. So just for that its a cute little book. Its also good for me as I've never really read a cookbook properly, although I do like reading.

So when you first flick through the book you notice that its got great photographs of the food dishes. The photo is on the right and the recipe is on the left. Its quite simple really, but effective. There is no real need to have a huge picture to get the idea of how the dish looks. Each picture presentation is really lovely. Louise must have painstakingly cooked every dish and created the best presentation. That takes a lot of time. Also the minimalism of the book also takes some thought as its easy to complicate but difficult to simplify.

I got some help reviewing the actual recipes. The feedback was the ingredients are a lot of fresh foods. My own thoughts are that I could make some of these dishes and progress onto more as I got more experienced.

The book has meals for different purposes. Breakfasts, main meals, snacks, soups, breads and bakes.

I would probably have to make a copy of the recipe when having a go as the book will fold on itself and not stay open. That's the disadvantage of a more compact book. One could write it out as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with these Hamlyn 200s - especially not at this price, 15 Jan. 2012
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am loving this series of little Hamlyn cookery books.

Veggie Feasts is my seventh title in the series and it doesn't disappoint.

One of my favourites so far is the Home Baked Beans on page 136. This really couldn't be easier. You literally place all the ingredients in a pot and put in the oven - thats it. Two hours later the beans come out delicious, sticky and moreish - perfect with some toast or on a baked tattie.

This book is also exceptionally strong on soups (a particular strength of all the 200s I have seen). Like many of the Hamlyn 200s this book often takes a few unglamorous ingredients yet produces something quite sumptuous. The sum is definitely greater than the parts. The recipes add value to the ingredient. How often can you say that? How often are you instructed by fancier cook books to invest in quite exotic ingredients only to turn out a dish which is merely OK?

Not so here. Nothing is very complicated. No ingredient is too hard to track down. Yet the results are often wonderful.

The style is the way cook books used to be before the rise of the celebrity chef. Written by some anonymous home economist or domestic scientist rather than a celeb off the telly.

So its not connected to a TV show, a personality, or their travels. Its just full of practical well-explained recipes that work for the home cook. Its about cookery rather than the cook, and all the better for it.

It has a nice wipeable cover. Fancy cook books not built to stand the rigors of the kitchen are a particular complaint of mine.

The main negative is that as this is a small book (the front is the size of slightly elongated CD case), its quite hard to keep it open at the page you are working from, without really crunching the spine. But this is about the biggest moan I can muster. I'd knock a star off if this were an expensive book. But its far from being expensive.

But as I write this book is offered by Amazon at just £3.59. How good is that!?

Veggie Feasts is just the latest in this series of clever little cook books to have really impressed me. I can't recommend them highly enough. Vegetarian-wise, the only other recent book that comes near in its usefulness is Vegetarian Between them they have revitalised my culinary repertoire of late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipe's, very enjoyable., 17 Dec. 2011
Reviewser - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third of three reviews for Hamlyn's all colour cookbooks.

I may repeat myself at times as - having now looked tested and tried various recipes from the books, I have come to the conclusion that they are all very similar. Which is a very good thing indeed.

One things all the books have in common is a great cover that is plasticky and therefore won't get damaged by any 'shrapnel' whilst they are being used. This too goes for the pages which are glossy and therefore do not perish at the first drop of food residue which may get near them!

The books are also a handy size and contain a colour image for each dish in the book.
The introduction part to this book sets out some ground rules and sets out a list of vital ingredients and lays importance on using fresh produce!
This book is split into 7 parts.
Breakfast and brunch, Starters and Snacks, Main meals, soups and stews, salads and sides, breads and baking, desserts.

Looking at the recipes they are all 'relatively' easy to prepare and cook with simple - understandable instructions which make cooking with this book a joy.

I tried out 1 dish from each section over the last week and a bit (as opposed to the marathon soup day I did yesterday to review the other book) and i am going to highlight my three favourites.
Bare in mind I am normally quite the carnivore so it was quite a test to see if this veggie book could hold up the the demands of a meat eater.

The first dish i made and one of my favourites was a sage & goats cheese frittata.
Enjoyably this dish was really easy to make and i managed to prepare and cook it in just 30 minutes. Yes 10 minutes over the time that hamlyn suggest but that was more than close enough for me. Cooking any meal in less than 30 minutes is a challenge so well done on this recipe. The portion size was good and the dish was very good.

The next dish I wanted to showcase was an onion pumpkin and sage pie.
This again was a nice recipe with a decent amount of simplicity.
My only gripe here was that they suggested using bought puff pastry. I dislike this ready made stuff so made my own. I recommend you do too.
On the whole it was a good recipe but I think they lay too much emphasis on the pumpkin in this dish and I put slightly less in. Nonetheless a good dish which did take about 3 hours to do but still not bad!

Finally I made a mixed mushroom tart.
This was probably my favourite that I found in the book.
They recommend a good pastry recipe which I approve of hugely rather than getting you to buy ready made stuff.
The actually recipe was good and was well worth the 2 and a half hours it took to make.
Very yummy.

All in all this is a great cookbook which is part of a great series!
I highly recommend it!
Particularly this should appeal to non vegetarians as it contains many hearty recipes which should still appeal to carnivores!

4.0 out of 5 stars 200 Veggie Feasts, 17 Dec. 2011
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This diminutive cookbook may be small in stature, but it is chock full of mouth watering recipes to delight your taste buds.

This is one of those books that is easy to follow and has plenty of recipes you want to have a try of. None seem too far out of your reach to create and most look enticing enough to have me wanting to give them a go. Pleasingly each recipe has a photograph of the finished dish so you know what the finished article should look like and it tells you both the preparation and cooking time. This is a small detail, but it is missing from some other cook books I have and I find it frustrating.

This has a good mix of breakfast, snacks, main courses, soups/stews, salads, breads and desserts and it has a brief introduction where it discusses ingredients.

I have tried a few recipes from this now and I found each easy to follow and offered up some pleasing results. There is room to tweak each recipe if you are feeling adventurous or if you have alternative ingredients to hand, but the recipes outlined in the book are so good you won't want to stray too much. So far I have found myself edging towards the soups and more hearty fare as we head into winter, but I am looking forward to trying some of the lighter dishes this summer.

All in all this is a clear recipe book, which is well illustrated and easy to work from and it would make a worthy addition to any kitchen bookshelf.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, 16 Dec. 2011
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a vegetarian more years than I care to remember. It has been so refreshing to see vegetarian cookery move away from the "healthy but stodgy" knitted lentils and wholemeal pastry school, via the "the vegetarian option is always pasta" phase to this current one. Nowadays, the emphasis seems to be on fresh ingredients, stylish presentation and above all, exciting and interesting taste combinations - although I have to confess, if I see one more goat's cheese and balsamic onion tartlet as the vegetarian option on a Christmas menu, I may have to go in and give the chef a shake...

Anyway, back to the book.

The first section has some delicious ideas for cooked breakfasts and brunches, a meal which is always harder to impress with - carnivores can go with a full English, job done. These suggestions should suit even the most diehard bacon and eggs person, although probably better suited to those with a sweet tooth.

Other chapters include cover soups and stews, baking, light lunches and dinner party dishes. All recipes are pictured in full colour, and feature a variant or extra dish - this brings the recipes up to the cover "200", although I would suggest that chopping a couple of cloves of garlic and adding it to shop bought mayonnaise shouldn't really count as a recipe...

Most of the recipes are fairly straightforward, and those that I've tried are tasty. They do assume access to either a major supermarket (or its delivery service) or ethnic grocers though - herbs and spices feature prominently, and also more uncommon ingredients such as pomegranates, kaffir lime leaves and halloumi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and neat introduction to meat-free meals, 13 Dec. 2011
Roland Cassard (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This whole series of Hamlyn cookbooks is really lovely. Each book is very small in size (in comparison to your usual Delia/Nigella/Jamie fare) but filled with very straight-forward recipes presented in a simple, straight-forward way: recipe on one side, photo of the finished dish on the other.

As the book is so small, the recipes are, by necessity, not complicated or involving too many stages. I have been a vegetarian for over twenty years and there weren't too many recipes that genuinely intrigued me. Most recipes were variations on things I already cook, although there are three or four interesting meals in there that I have bookmarked to try.

Having said that, the recipes all sounded appealing and it did feel like a book written by someone with a real interest in veggie food. Some meat-eating cookery book writers seem to overuse cheese or eggs in their recipes; some vegetarian writers go to the opposite extreme and base recipes around the correct combining of proteins (rather than concentrating on taste). This book had a pleasant middle balance between those two, the food felt like menus a vegetarian might make regularly. I personally dislike veggie cookbooks that feature desserts: unless you're offering alternative desserts for vegans or ones that avoid rennet or gelatine, I don't see the point in having sweets in a veggie cookbook, and this book has a few.

This would be a good gift to someone who has gone off to university and needs some tips on putting a meal together; for a seasoned vegetarian it might not present too many surprises; for a well-practised cook I doubt it would appeal (unless you're completely stumped by veggie food). It is a sweet little book, though, and I will be trying out the handful of recipes that particularly jumped out at me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book, but nothing you haven't seen before, 26 Nov. 2011
Emma W (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you don't have many cookery books in your collection, this would be a good place to start. But if you already have a handful of recipe books you more than likely have most of the recipes covered.

There are lots of appealing recipes which generally use ingredients you have in, or at least could get hold of easily. Recipes are divided into sections:

Breakfast and brunch - (eg All in one veggie breakfast; Pancakes with blueberry sauce)
Starters and snacks - (eg sweet potato and fontina panini; sage and goats' cheese frittata)
Main meals - (eg leek and thyme sausages with relish; onion, pumpkin and sage pie)
Soups and stews - (eg sweet potato and coconut soup; saffron-scented vegetable tagine)
Salads and sides (eg new potato, basil and pine nut salad; Greek country salad with halloumi)
Breads and baking - (eg tomato and feta tart; four cheese pizza)
Desserts - (eg apple fritters with blackberry sauce; brioche pudding with ice cream)

At a little over 16 cm by 14 cm, it is smaller than most recipe books. The book itself is more attractively executed then the muted 1970's style cover would have you believe. The cover is paperback, printed on a thin textured card with a matt laminate which gives it the look of canvas while still being wipe clean. It has a standard glued spine but it would have been nice if had been spiral bound as the book has a tendency to shut if you don't use anything to keep your page open. It is clearly and simply laid out with one recipe per page and a photograph opposite so you have a good idea of how it should turn out and how to present your dish well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but not for vegans, 24 Dec. 2011
Martin Smith "musicbymartin" (The Industrial North) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price this is a great little cookbook, with a range of recipes categorised by the type of meal. The book is compact and kitchen friendly - with glossy pages and a wipe-clean cover.

There are two pages dedicated to each recipe, one page for the straightforward list of ingredients, the opposite page a sumptious, stylish colour photo of the food.

Ingredients aren't too exotic and should be easy to get hold of - but the flipside of this is that the recipes tend towards familiar, traditional fare. So we get stuffed peppers, grilled veg with couscous, risottos and other staples - one recipe even tells us how to make a boiled egg (albeit with mustard soldiers). There are a few more adventurous ideas (like Fig, Bean and Toasted pecan salad for example).

My main gripe is the lack of vegan recipes here. About 80% of the recipes use cheese (many having cheese as the main ingredient). There are also lots of recipes which use eggs - I even saw oyster sauce on one page! Vegans and veggies are used to seeing such "options" in restaurants ("you can eat fish can't you?"). A few more pulses or nuts, tempeh or quinoa, more spinach and leafy greens would have been nice.

Having said that, I can see that this book would come in very useful for a busy parent with a veggie to cater for, or for the non-veggie family looking for some healthier alternative to the meat and two veg option.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›