5.0 out of 5 stars 200 Cakes and Bakes
Yum, yum, yum, yum! What more can be said!!!
From the first page to the last, this book is full of lovely yummy recipes for different cakes. Small cakes, tray bakes, Centre piece cakes, teatime loaves, cookies, meringue gateaux and plenty more. Every one as Yummy as the other!! Found out this also has recipes for Hot Cross Buns (needed one for Easter and found one on...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Shaya

3.0 out of 5 stars Bakes For All Occasions
This book contains 200 recipes for cakes, biscuits/cookies, tray bakes and no bake cakes.

It has a wide variety of cakes from a simple Victoria sponge to raspberry garlands, baklava, friands and mini cappuccino cakes or roulades.

It has various techniques and methods to try and lots of different ingredients to incorporate in your cakes.

I...
Published on 23 May 2012 by R. E. Quinn

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Hamlyn, 25 April 2012
Darren Watkins (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 200 Cakes & Bakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Ideas (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yeah, another winner from Hamlyn. This time it's all about cakes, biscuits and pastries. It's even got a few no bake cakes, so at least the kids can get involved in the kitchen and you know they won't burn themselves.

So, where to start. Well as usual the book is compact and has 200 recipes in. It is split into little cakes (individual cakes), cookies, traybakes, centerpiece cakes, cut and come again cakes, pastries and no bake cakes.

All recipes contain a clear list on ingredients with the measurements, how many the recipe will serve and both how long it will take to prepare and cook. They also give alternatives to the recipe, for example the apricot and orange swiss roll recipe also states that you could turn it into a strawberry and almond roulade and gives the ingredients and method for doing so.

Some of the recipes in the book are: maple and pecan muffins, banana & sultana drop scones, chocolate Florentines, maple biscuits, power bars, chocolate caramel shortbread, chocolate and rum cake, chocolate and sweet potato torte, coffee cake with pistachio praline, whisky mac cake, cidered apple and fig loaf, citrus baklava, Sicilian cheesecake (no bake) and diplomatico (no bake).

I have a neat little library of Hamlyn books and can not find fault with any of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book packed with recipes, 30 April 2012
M. O. HAYNES "couch magpie" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of the hamlyn 'all colour cookbook' series and also a frustrated cake and bake maker so I jumped at the chance to get hold of this book on Vine. I have so far only tried two recipes from the book but had good results for both - I did 'orange and sultana scones' and 'fairings' - both were really easy to make and tasted great. The book contains pretty much all the things I would expect to be included in a cake cookery book and has a good introduction covering a few basic techniques. The sections cover little cakes, cookies, traybakes, centrepiece cakes, cut and come again cakes, pastries and believe it or not no-bake cakes (very simple and mostly child friendly things like cornflake cakes). In terms of value for money given that this very small book contains as many recipes as a much higher priced book by a celebrity chef (probably with better instructions than most, in my experience, and great illustrations) it is a bit of a 'no-brainer' if you don't already have a good collection. the only drawback I can think of is that because it is a rugged soft cover it is difficult to get it to stay open on the right page in comparison to a heavy hardback by Nigella or whoever the next big thing in cooking is this month...

4.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER LITTLE GEM just remember to follow the instructions properly, 11 May 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is another little gem from the Hamlyn range of cookery books.
I'm just about halfway through the last one, 200 pasta dishes though there has been a bit of a mutiny from my family who are beginning to demand something less pasta orientated.

This book has 200 cakes and bakes to choose from, ranging from mango and kiwi upside down cakes to Easter cookies.
For the average novice beginner, the books are easy to follow and nicely illustrated though don't expect yours to turn out as good as some of those in the illustrations!

It still takes practice.

It is good fun to try though, especially with help. Just one word of warning, prepare what you need in advance, follow the instructions to the letter and there will be very little to go wrong. If you fly by the seat of your pants expect your chocolate eclairs with cream liquer to turn out like mine. They were not a pretty site and it took ages to clean the oven.

All in all, I really like these books, there is something there for everyone, well illustrated, easy instructions and the books themselves are niicely compact and take up very little space.

Spaghetti cheese cake anyone?

5.0 out of 5 stars Cakes can do no wrong, 17 May 2012
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It would take a lot for me to find fault with a book about cakes. It's my kryptonite. I love cakes, and all things pudding-related. My mother once reminded me that when I was fussily informing her of all the various vegetables that I didn't want to eat, if could be a "puddingarian" - which to this day I still proclaim I am.

As with all the other books in this handy little range (which is getting larger and larger), this book contains a nice smattering of recipes, all of which are quite easy to follow. I need more practice at desserts so I have been patiently waiting for this book. There are a lot of straight-forward suggestions, nothing too outlandish, so everything seems relatively do-able.

If I were to have any criticism of it, it would be that for me, sometimes I would need a couple of "in-progress" shots to make sure that the various stages of the baking progress were proceeding as-planned. I appreciate that this goes against the "one page of instructions plus one photo" mantra, but it might help me make sure I'm not screwing things up.

But as I said before, cakes and anything cake related can do no wrong. So it's a big fat 5 stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious cakes, 28 Jun. 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This well produced pocket sized book is part of an excellent series of Hamlyn cookery books for both the novice cook and the more experienced. They have wipe clean covers and are sturdy enough to stand up to life in the kitchen. There is a colour photograph of the finished product opposite the recipe.

There is a useful introduction which contains general information about baking and the equipment needed. The recipes are divided into the following sections:
Little cakes
Cookies
Traybakes
Centrepiece cakes
Cut-&-come-again cakes
Pastries
No-bake cakes

All recipes are easy to understand and follow and the ingredients are listed in both imperial and metric quantities. Each recipe has a suggested variation at the end of it - which is very useful especially if you don't have all the listed ingredients to hand.

I can personally recommend the Apricot Tea Bread - it is quick and easy to make and delicious. It definitely IS cut-&-come-again and it also works well if you substirute ordinary dried fruit for the apricots etc listed in the recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get thee behind me, Satan., 7 May 2012
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just like the other books in this very helpful series, this Cakes and Bakes book is little and fat. I do fear that if I work my way through the very tempting recipes, I shall end up the same. Neatly and clearly laid out and beautifully photographed, it is a pleasure just to feast one's eyes on the pages. The recipes are presented in sections: little cakes, cookies, tray-bakes, show-off cakes, cut-at cakes, pastries and no-bake cakes. A goodly array, no?

Many of the recipes are old favourites but there are also many new friends to meet and learn to love. I made churros, a kind of deep-fried sweet dough (you see what I mean about little and fat?) and strawberry lavender shortcake. Neither lived to see the morrow. As with the 'Cooking for Two' book, you will need to check your store cupboard for the necessary ingredients ahead of going into the kitchen. This was how I ended up with churros. I didn't have chocolate-coated coffee beans, chocolate covered fudge bars or glace ginger to hand. But there is always tomorrow (DV) and I hope to spend some happy hours selecting what I shall try next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 20 May 2012
H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have started to make quite a collection of these little books, as I love the neat and concise presentation, the beautiful photography and the practical and imaginative recipes

This little book gives you 200 recipes, one to a page; each one with a beautiful colour photograph, and easy to follow step by step instructions. It is split into 7 sections - little cakes, cookies, traybakes, centrepiece cakes, cut-and-come-again cakes, pastries, no-bake cakes, with a short introduction full of baking know-how.

Like the other books in this series, the recipes are practical, imaginative, varied, and beautifully presented. What makes a cookbook really useful for me is the quality of the index (I do a sort of "ingredients search" to get recipe ideas) - and this book has a five page index with recipes cross-referenced by all their ingredients and by the type of cake too, which I find really useful.

Overall, a welcome addition to my kitchen bookshelf and one I am happy to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Little Book, 16 July 2012
J. Bond "Xelous" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lovely little book is just the right size for the counter top as you try out the recipes. I did find some of the ingredients were more exotic than the contents of my store cupboards... But other than that the putting together of the items within was fairly straight forward.

My only gripe with the whole book, indeed with this series (as I've had another in it) is the brevity of the instructions... I admit I'm not a whiz in the kitchen, and I could just about follow these ideas, however I did often find myself second guessing what I was doing with the instructions...

Was I actually doing it right?

Was I meant to wait a little?...

Was there any sign I needed to look for before moving onto the next step?

These questions and I suppose lack of confidence followed me whilst trying out the ideas within, and the text did nothing to reassure me I was not going to go off the rails.

That said however, the ideas are very very simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little cook book..., 28 May 2012
Mike J (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent series of cook books. Mostly simple straightforward recipes that sound good and look great in the photo's.

The book is actually 100 recipes with a variation of each, giving 200. For example, Peanut Butter Cookies variation is Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies, and it's as simple as adding less peanuts and some chocolate chips, the rest is the same.

Not all variations are that simple, but small changes can create a very different end result.

Prep times are given and range from 10 to 40 mins, most being around 25-30 mins.

Sections are little cakes (50 pages), cookies (42 pages), tray bakes (32 pages), centrepiece cakes (46 pages), cut-&-come-again cakes (26 pages), pastries (16 pages) and no-bake cakes (12 pages).

Cut-&-come-again cakes are `family sized' hearty cakes that last a while, like Jamaican Ginger Cake and Banana, Date & Walnut Loaf, not a term I've heard before.

Great book at a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous classics and more, 14 May 2012
Katfishh (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have several books in this series and this is just as good as the rest with fabulous simple recipes to try - including a section of 'no bake' cakes, as well as biscuits, traybakes and centrepiece cakes. All the instructions are on one page and are simple and easy to follow. Each recipe is accompanied by a beautiful full page colour illustration, and there are lots of inspirational ideas.

My particular favourites and successes have been 'whisky mac cake' - which made an amazing gift for Dad, and the blueberry meringue roulade (which can be substituted by raspberry's, or strawberries if desired. Both were instant hits.

There is a recipe for 'Cherub cake' which is stunning to look at and which I will be making for a forthcoming Christening. All in all, this is a great book which tells you how to coo the basics from Victoria Sponge to Cookies, Cheesecakes to Roulades in a little easy to store book.

You cant really go wrong with this. Really like this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›