5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for new puppy owners
This book is essential reading for anyone about to buy or having just bought a new puppy.
There is nothing worse than being confronted by a book full of jargon but this book is a joy to read. It is easy to pick up and put down when you have a spare five minutes and the information is written is very clear and easy to understand steps.
Every issue of rearing a...
Published on 28 Sep 2004 by Mrs Helen Earle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for country dogs!
Lots of good advice, but aimed principally at town dwellers (training involves the park, streets, schools, shops......) If you live as we do in a an isolated country hamlet with a field track next to you, no neighbours, no public transport, no school close by, and no park within a 30 mile radius, then it's difficult to put some of the advice into practice.
What does...
Published on 22 Feb 2010 by Mme Pamela Small

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Breeders choice, 27 Nov 2004
As a breeder of a minority breed which are known for their difficulty in training amongst even professional handlers I gave this book a whirl with my last litter's new owners.
Absolutely fantastic, a godsend to all of them even those who've owned the breed before such simple examples of how dogs think and behave made life a lot easier for puppies and new owners. No more frantic phone calls about new or what is normal or not normal behaviours their answers were in the book regardless of the breed idiosyncrasy, just wonderful updates on how well things were going and how enjoyable their pups were.
This book is a must for any dog owner and I will be sending a copy with every puppy I breed from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all new puppy owners, 18 May 2002
By A Customer
Written in a clear and easily understood manner this book is a must for all potential puppy owners.
If you are about to bring a new puppy into your home, or have one already, you couldn't do better than rush out and buy this book.
The author takes the new puppy owner step by step from settling your puppy into their new home, through early socialisation to taking the first important steps to becoming an obedient and well-adjusted adult dog.
If more people read and followed the advice in this book there would be fewer dogs in rescue centres.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only puppy guide you'll ever need, 19 April 2008
P. A. Gane (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
We've owned four dogs over the last 25 years but it's nearly 11 years since we last had a puppy and we'd forgotten just how much work they need. Our old guides had been passed out to friends and family but the breeder of our new pup recommended Gwen Bailey's book as a refresher and it really does have everything you need to know in one book, from early socialisation to the first steps in obedience training.
Whether you are getting your first puppy or like us are out of practice, reading this book before you take your new puppy home will prepare you for what you need to do and give a great source of reference throughout the all important first year of its development.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped to keep me sane!, 25 July 2008
This review is from: Perfect Puppy: Take Britain's Number One Puppy Care Book With You! (Paperback)
We got our puppy 4 weeks ago. Without this book, I would probably have gone crazy. With this book, we have managed to housetrain our puppy in around 3 weeks.
Some really good advice from the book:
1) get a puppy playpen for your puppy. This means that you can keep the puppy somewhere safe so that you don't need to watch it 100% of the time for 16 hours of the day. Otherwise, your puppy will wander all over your house and wee and poo everywhere. Having a puppy pen (NOT a crate) allows you to have a bit more control but still allow your puppy a safe area to play and sleep.
2) the book has a suggested routine for your dog. As this is our first puppy, we literally would not have known when to feed it and when to take it out to meet people and when to let it rest. So the routine was really useful in the first week. After the first week, we established our own routine - but in that first week, it gave us a valuable structure for how to look after our puppy and keep it safe and happy.
There's loads of great advice in this book and we've started teaching our puppy how to sit on command. And we have taught our puppy how to wee and poo in the garden and outside when it goes for walks now - all in just a few weeks thanks to this brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only book you will need., 2 May 2012
In anticipation for the arrival of our new Border Collie pup, and being somewhat of a planner, I brought several books. One breed specific, one training method specific, and one puppy specific (this one). Although the breed specific one is interesting in terms of the history and specific needs etc and the training method one may be useful if we encounter issues in the future I feel that I really could have managed wonderfully just with this book. Especially through the puppy time. Unlike the other books this is for an English rather than American audience and that makes a difference to me in terms of how readable I find it.

This book is a comprehensive read which includes everything you could possibly need to know about your new puppy. It is in easy to navigate sections, has very clear charts and illustrations as well as the written information. Everything is backed up with relevant and instructive pictures and suggestions are made for things such as finding a good training class or how and when to socialize your pup. It doesn't matter what breed you have because all dogs are covered and it makes distinctions between shy and confident pups and large and small pups. I would say before you buy any other books, get this one and read it. I also suggest you look for UK specific books in general.

There are lots of great ideas in this book for training your puppy and it's philosophy is reward, praise and treat not punishment and domination. I think if you managed to put into place all of the suggestions made you would have one of the best behaved dogs on the planet.

I would read another book by this author. What I would say is get this before you get your puppy as I think it is most effective if used from the very start.

Five massive stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for New Puppy Owners, 13 Nov 2009
This book is indispensible for those aquiring a puppy for the first time. It prepares you for the stages you will face in your puppy's development from getting him home to adolescence and beyond.

The chapter on the correct use of a crate was life changing for us as it led to our latest puppy becoming housetrained within a week, this was unheard of with my previous dogs.

Gwen Bailey places emphasis on the importance of socialization, leadership, controlling games, preventing biting as well as practical examples of basic training and discipline. Her techniques are humane and demonstrate her insight into a dog's real needs. In short, she shows how instilling the correct training at the start of your puppy's development will lead to a happier life for your dog as an adult.

It is clearly written and with lots of full colour pictures. If you only buy one puppy training book I would suggest you make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 20 Feb 2007
Mark Shaw (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to read, and having read it, seems so obvious now. I wish I'd have read it for my previous dog. We used the simple techniques on my Labrador puppy from 2 months old. She is now 1 year, and is a very well behaved member of the family with a great character. This book really made a difference for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect book!, 31 July 2007
Not going to go through a detailed review but if you are getting or have a puppy (or know anyone who is) BUY THIS BOOK!

We took on two German Shepherd pups as our first dogs and tried many books at the time but this one replaced them all. Our dogs are always admired for their good behaviour and it is all down to this book and 6 months major effort when they were pups. They are now 10 years old and the benefits of their training pays off every day.

Cannot recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEFORE you get a puppy, GET THIS BOOK!!, 21 Mar 2002
Anyone thinking of getting a puppy, especially for the first time, really should buy, beg or borrow a copy of this amazing book. I'm an experienced dog owner and I really wish I had this when I had my first dog many moons ago. Great as a reference when things go wrong and great if you've already got a dog and you need to know why it's doing something wrong. Guess what I'll be buying family and friends with dogs for Christmas?!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for country dogs!, 22 Feb 2010
Mme Pamela Small (Charente, France) - See all my reviews
What does shine out is the author's love and understanding of dogs. It's useful to be reminded that puppies don't speak our language and don't understand why they're being punished, so it's far better to reward them for being good than to punish them for being naughty!
Being reminded of puppies' needs, including that all important one of having something to chew on at all times, has been invaluable and has probably saved our furniture from being totally destroyed by our two labradors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

Perfect Puppy: Take Britain's Number One Puppy Care Book With You!