5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for new puppy owners
This book is essential reading for anyone about to buy or having just bought a new puppy.
There is nothing worse than being confronted by a book full of jargon but this book is a joy to read. It is easy to pick up and put down when you have a spare five minutes and the information is written is very clear and easy to understand steps.
Every issue of rearing a...
Published on 28 Sep 2004 by Mrs Helen Earle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for country dogs!
Lots of good advice, but aimed principally at town dwellers (training involves the park, streets, schools, shops......) If you live as we do in a an isolated country hamlet with a field track next to you, no neighbours, no public transport, no school close by, and no park within a 30 mile radius, then it's difficult to put some of the advice into practice.
What does...
Published on 22 Feb 2010 by Mme Pamela Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for new puppy owners, 28 Sep 2004
Mrs Helen Earle (West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
Every issue of rearing a puppy is covered, including socialization, house training, playing games, dealing with anti-social behaviour etc. Its common sense approach fills you with confidence and helps you to understand the priorities in puppy training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puppy training at its best!, 23 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
From choosing your puppy through to adulthood, this book clearly shows you what to expect and how to cope with it! Sections deal with introducing your new puppy to other members in the household, ideal day activities, how the puppy thinks and basic training exercises. I found the training section particularly useful - photographs supported the easy to follow text. At least my puppy is no longer a strange being in my house as I have learnt to understand how she thinks - all thanks to this fantastic book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Puppy Power, 4 Nov 2002
Philip Roberts (Brighton - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
Everyone has a theory about how to train your dog, and everyone who has a dog will be keen to offer you advice on your new puppy. However in this book, it shows you the way to live with the ups and downs of your puppy growing up and how to cope with the sometimes-frustrating parts of living with a puppy, as well as how to help your pup develop into a well mannered and happy dog. There aren't any wonderful or 'wise' cures in here, it helps us realise the best way to understand our puppy, is to use our common sense.
The author is obviously a person with vast experience and know how. The book is written very well and succeeds in showing us two things: One, how as a puppy owner to deal with behaviour that is not acceptable and how to train and encourage growth in out pet, and two, That the world from the eyes of a puppy is very different to ours, and there are reasons why they do things, and that our pets behaviour is a way of it expressing its needs and wants, and to help them grow, we have to understand this as best we can.
This is the ONLY book I would suggest a puppy owner, or someone thinking about getting a puppy to buy, read and use as a reference over the first few, and sometimes stressful months that your puppy will be in his or her new home.
Good luck..:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget anythng else you have seen - buy this book!!, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
When we bought our puppy we bought a whole heap of reference books, most of which were rather dull and difficult to follow. This is a very clear book, very easy to understand and great to have at hand at all times. It clearly explains what is right and wrong -a great book to keep on hands for those panic moments and just to keep by the bed for reassurance. We thought we knew a lot about dog training but alot of it is old wives tales, this really makes things as unstressful as possible for both owner and puppy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Puppy book, 11 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
Sent for this book after buying a new Labrador puppy. I chanced on this book after researching on Amazon for a guide to training a puppy. Thanks to customer reviews I found this book. Received within a couple of days which is excellent service from Amazon as always.
I devoured book quickly as puppy growing fast and so I needed to learn fast. As per the other reviews, this book is easy reading, covers a wide range of topics that any new puppy owner needs to know and gave me all the basic information I needed for guidance to raise my puppy to be a healthy happy well trained puppy.
Used some techniques straight away to stop nipping and over excitement and our puppy cottoned on very quickly.
Any worries re. health and feeding and behaviour can be looked up quickly and fears allayed.
We are responsible owners but would never learn all that basic information so quickly.
A great read and at vet's practice today I was telling the vet's nurse and she has to help and give her first talk next week re. -puppy socialisation classes which our puppy has attended. Nurse is rather nervous and asked me what book it was. I told her and she is going to purchase it from Amazon so she is able to get information for her talk next week.
Wish I had known about this book before I bought a puppy but at this stage it has enhanced our ownership and allayed any worries easily and our vet is very impressed with our handling of puppy re. paws and teeth and ears so vet is able to deal with puppy without any problems because he is so used to being handled in such a way. So praise from a very grateful vet and nurse as well and our puppy is only just under 4 months old!
Big thanks to Gwen Bailey the author!!
And thanks to the Amazon site for lots of customer reviews and information as otherwise I would never have found this book!
I have never written a book review before and so the book must be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Puppy, 2 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
This dog owners book is a must offering clear and easy to digest information.
I found this book very helpful when our puppy first arrived and even now she is an adult refer to it from time to time. Although she will never be on one man and his dog!many of the things I have learned from this book helped me to make sense of why dogs do the things they do also how to prevent potential behavioural problems and as the book states, many behavioural problems are not caused by irresponsible owners but simply insufficient knowledge.Covering subjects from puppyhood to adolescence and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone even considering a puppy, 24 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
If you are considering a puppy or already have a puppy you should also have a copy of this book. Breeders should give one free with every puppy sold!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be standard issue for any new puppy owner, 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
When I got my first puppy, I'd carry this book with me everywhere, it answered all the questions I had about my puppies behaviour and taught me in easy to understand terms how to and most importantly what not to do. It's so easy to get it wrong when training dogs, this is why so many dogs are given away after 6 months because they have not been trained properly, if you follow the basic instructions in this book it will make your dog owning life & your puppies life so much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 12 Jan 2005
Kerrie (Romford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
I bought many books to help with the training of my new puppy, but I only used this book for referneces as it covered everything the other books covered with many more useful tips. I wish I saved my money and just bought this book as it is wonderfully clear with easy reading instructions all the way through.
A definate must for all new dog owners of any breed of dog.
Happy Training!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breeders choice, 27 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Perfect Puppy (Paperback)
As a breeder of a minority breed which are known for their difficulty in training amongst even professional handlers I gave this book a whirl with my last litter's new owners.
Absolutely fantastic, a godsend to all of them even those who've owned the breed before such simple examples of how dogs think and behave made life a lot easier for puppies and new owners. No more frantic phone calls about new or what is normal or not normal behaviours their answers were in the book regardless of the breed idiosyncrasy, just wonderful updates on how well things were going and how enjoyable their pups were.
This book is a must for any dog owner and I will be sending a copy with every puppy I breed from now on.

Perfect Puppy: Take Britain's Number One Puppy Care Book With You!
9.09